Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize that speed was a strength for Hiura

He was profiled with having above average speed, but it wasn't hugely noteworthy. I think the base stealing must be something that he's been told to focus on. Having another ++ tool would certainly help his ascent to the big leagues.

He was profiled with having above average speed, but it wasn't hugely noteworthy. I think the base stealing must be something that he's been told to focus on. Having another ++ tool would certainly help his ascent to the big leagues.

The real interesting move would be to have him bat second, Yelich third, Cain leading off...

The real interesting move would be to have him bat second, Yelich third, Cain leading off...

I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.

I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.

Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.

Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.

I’m confused. He’s at .372 for his two season in the minors with his low stretch being .339 innings AA this past season. I don’t think him coming up in late May/June and batting .285 with a .340 OBP the rest of the way is crazy.

I’m confused. He’s at .372 for his two season in the minors with his low stretch being .339 innings AA this past season. I don’t think him coming up in late May/June and batting .285 with a .340 OBP the rest of the way is crazy.

He hit .272 for Biloxi in 307 plate appearances in 2018. That is not a "call me up now" stat. I like Keston, and I think he has a good future in the Brewers organization, but I'm just cautioning to pump the brakes a bit on the "OMG NEXT BIG SUPERSTAR CALL HIM UP NOW!!!!!" talk.

If Hiura is the team's everyday 2B in 2020, it wouldn't surprise me. I think he plays most of the year in San Antonio next year, then gets an August or Sept. call-up. Of course, injuries could play a role in moving up that timeline.

He hit .272 for Biloxi in 307 plate appearances in 2018. That is not a "call me up now" stat.

That 0.272 BA came with a big slump into and following a wrist issue that cost Hiura some time, IIRC...the silver lining to that is he seemed to recover fine from it, and it has nothing to do with the elbow issue he's had that many assumed would require tommy john surgery or turn him into a DH only trade chip at the start of 2018. Also, I think one poster is focusing on OBP moreso than BA - the 0.340 OBP Hiura put up in AA during his "struggles" would rank 5th on the Brewers' regular position player roster, behind only Yelich, Cain, Aguilar, and Shaw.

The fact that Hiura played a bunch of 2B once he got called up to AA and seems to have put throwing arm injury concerns behind him is much more important to me than what his offensive stats were - we all know he can hit, he was profiled as the best hit tool bat in his draft. With Schoop likely in the 2B mix for 2019 and the possibility of Shaw moonlighting there on occasion should Moose opt to stay in Milwaukee next year, it's not like there's a gaping hole at 2B that Hiura needs to be rushed into. I wonder what Dubon's availability may be following his ACL surgery, also, as a utility MIF. I think Hiura opens 2019 in San Antonio, and once June rolls around if Schoop or whomever they have getting regular ABs is struggling, Keston will be up.

You might want a refresher on Southern League batting averages. Only 2 players in the entire league hit over .300 in 2018. The 8th highest BA was .266 (Hiura hit .272 at nearly 3 years under the league average age while battling an injury)

Hiura could hit over .300 with his eyes closed in AAA PCL. And if he jumped right to the majors on Opening Day 2019, he'd push Cain for 2nd highest BA in Milwaukee next year. You're missing the boat by quite a bit on Hiura if you think he's that far off. The kid just needs to stay healthy and work on his play at 2B. The bat is major league ready now. I'm looking forward to your "I had no idea Hiura was this good" post sometime next year.

When you watch him live, you just say "wow, he is so much better than anyone else the Shuckers have". And they had a lot of good hitters at AA this year! I think he could start the 2019 year in MKE, but probably at AAA for at least a couple of months. I think who they keep at 2b over the winter will forecast the speed of the rise of KH to MKE.

I think Hiura takes the same path that Braun did. Each split time at A+/AA in their first full year after being drafted. The next year Braun opened at AAA was brought up in May. I think Hiura does close to the same. The thing going against Hiura is that the 2019 Brewers should be a good team expecting to compete for the playoffs. Braun had the luxury of a 2007 Brewer team that did not have those expectations so it was easier to just insert the rookie into the everyday lineup.

On the plus side for Hiura he doesn't have to be the guy either with all of the other bats in the line-up. I'm very curious to see how he does in the fall league. I could see it being influential in how the Brewers think about the offseason. I'm sure either way they will have other options in place at second base to start the year, but who and how many options is a different story.

I think Hiura takes the same path that Braun did. Each split time at A+/AA in their first full year after being drafted. The next year Braun opened at AAA was brought up in May. I think Hiura does close to the same. The thing going against Hiura is that the 2019 Brewers should be a good team expecting to compete for the playoffs. Braun had the luxury of a 2007 Brewer team that did not have those expectations so it was easier to just insert the rookie into the everyday lineup.

Can we stop comparing Hiura to a multi year all star and former league MVP? I get the excitement around him but the way people here talk, you'd think he as a top 5 prospect in all of the major leagues. He's not and you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think he is. Be patient and let him develop for another year.

Can we stop comparing Hiura to a multi year all star and former league MVP? I get the excitement around him but the way people here talk, you'd think he as a top 5 prospect in all of the major leagues. He's not and you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think he is. Be patient and let him develop for another year.

He's putting up numbers that warrant deep praise. I'd contend that elbow concerns and last year's wrist injury are all that keep him from being a top-10 MLB guy right now. He's legitimately a great hitter. And comparing his path to RB's doesn't mean he has to be RB. He won't come up and hit 34 HRs. He doesn't have to. I think he could hit .300 and steal 20 bases, though.

Nope. I don't care where where rankings fall for this kid. I'm not going to go so far as to predict an MVP, but I do believe he's the 3rd best bat in the entire organization right now today and that thought is very exciting. 2018 is the opening of the window for this organization and pieces like Hiura on the cusp of being added to the mix are worth getting hyped about.

Don't get me wrong. I love Hiura's potential as a top of the order bat. I just don't see a guy that hit .272 in AA as a guy that is going to come up next year and make a huge immediate impact.

His profile as a high contact table setter fits the profile for what this team needs to make it a truly elite level lineup. If he can come up to the MLB level and hit .300, I'll gladly eat my words. I just don't see it happening ... yet.

Don't get me wrong. I love Hiura's potential as a top of the order bat. I just don't see a guy that hit .272 in AA as a guy that is going to come up next year and make a huge immediate impact.

His profile as a high contact table setter fits the profile for what this team needs to make it a truly elite level lineup. If he can come up to the MLB level and hit .300, I'll gladly eat my words. I just don't see it happening ... yet.

If you saw him in Arizona last spring, and you didn't know who he was, you'd be convinced he was a regular in the major league lineup. He's poised and refined as a hitter.

Well, I have news for you: Baseball Prospectus Mid-Season Top 50 ;)

I realize I cherry picked a little since that is the only publication to currently rank him in the top five, but I think his stock arrow is definitely pointed up right now. I also think Baseball Prospectus is one of the better prospect resources.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Assuming many of the current top 5 prospects open 2019 in the big leagues (guerrero, jimenez, etc), Hiura more or less will be top 5 in all of baseball. His bat is special.

Archived