Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League

Last year AFL preliminary Rosters were set on Aug. 29th. Its surprising how little talk there has been about who the Brewers may send.

Does C.Ray get a 2nd chance at the AFL?

Do the Brewers send a Kirby or Bickford to get more innings?

Erceg & Hiura seem like solid choices.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Diplan's a good bet - he's below his innings from last year. I'm putting money on Sanchez and Olczak. Now that Ponce has been moved to the bullpen I think he's a solid choice.

I think Grisham's a good bet to try to challenge him. Stokes is probably an even better bet. I think you have to be in AA by Aug 1st in order to qualify as a AA player; if that's the case then Weston Wilson might be the below-AA choice. Catchers are a shoe-in; McDowell's a solid bet. Erceg went last year; guys can go again but it's not common.

Pitchers - Ponce, Sanchez, Olczak, Diplan

Position players - McDowell, Stokes, Grisham, and one of Wilson/Erceg

Below-AA exception: Wilson

Dark horses: Luke Barker, Cooper Hummel

The Brewers have traditionally sent some players coming back from injury or players with something to prove. My guess is that Clint Coulter goes. Grisham isn't a bad bet.

I'd guess Bickford is a lock. Corbin Burnes to get more innings. Maybe Devin Williams

The Brewers have traditionally sent some players coming back from injury or players with something to prove. My guess is that Clint Coulter goes. Grisham isn't a bad bet.

I'd guess Bickford is a lock. Corbin Burnes to get more innings. Maybe Devin Williams

Coulter is a minor league free agent, so I doubt he gets the call.

Grisham or Ray would be good bets. I could see guys like Ponce or Kirby, too. Maybe Diplan.

Coulter is a minor league free agent, so I doubt he gets the call.

Grisham or Ray would be good bets. I could see guys like Ponce or Kirby, too. Maybe Diplan.

I know it's going way back, but Wolfe, Bausher, etc were minor league free agents. I thought Coulter wasn't a minor league free agent until around Nov 1? That would mean he's still Brewers property and could be added to the 40-man roster as he has some power, historically showed OBP skills, and the Brewers are lacking at 1b and LF with those skills in the upper minors. If he's finally healthy or has figured something out, he still has time. He's only 25.

Yes, the Brewers have sent pending FAs to the AFL in the past. I dunno if Coulter is likely to be the next in that line, but there is a precedent.

Players become free agents I believe 5 days after the end of the World Series unless there are special contract provisions.

The Brewers have done a nice job clearing out some of the guys who will need protecting in the Rule 5, but it may still be tough to find a 40-man spot for Coulter. I imagine they will need to fit some if not all of Derby, Torres-Costa, Gatewood, McDowell, Ponce, Stokes, Supak, Harber, Kirby and Devin Williams onto the roster.

If they want to bring Coulter back, I don't think they'd have to protect him on the 40-man/offer him an MLB deal. He's not going to get an MLB deal on the open market, so the Brewers could make a pre-emptive lucrative AAA offer to him. Then again, he might be frustrated with how the organization literally started him in A-ball this year and might look to play elsewhere.

If they want to bring Coulter back, I don't think they'd have to protect him on the 40-man/offer him an MLB deal. He's not going to get an MLB deal on the open market, so the Brewers could make a pre-emptive lucrative AAA offer to him. Then again, he might be frustrated with how the organization literally started him in A-ball this year and might look to play elsewhere.

That's what I'm saying. The only way to truly protect him would be to put him on the 40-man. Otherwise he's free to go wherever he wants. And he seems like a guy who may want a change of scenery. Considering the lack of decent corner OF/1B power prospects in the system, it would be great to find a way to keep him around. It sure is nice to see him finally hitting better.

Adam McCalvy

Verified account

@AdamMcCalvy

Following Following @AdamMcCalvy

Brewers named to the Arizona Fall League: Pitchers Daniel Brown, Bubba Derby, Jon Olczak and Miguel Sanchez; catcher Mario Feliciano, infielders Keston Hiura and Weston Wilson; outfielder Trent Grisham.

I think Diplan's a good bet - he's below his innings from last year. I'm putting money on Sanchez and Olczak. Now that Ponce has been moved to the bullpen I think he's a solid choice.

I think Grisham's a good bet to try to challenge him. Stokes is probably an even better bet. I think you have to be in AA by Aug 1st in order to qualify as a AA player; if that's the case then Weston Wilson might be the below-AA choice. Catchers are a shoe-in; McDowell's a solid bet. Erceg went last year; guys can go again but it's not common.

You nailed it. Just curious.....based on what? I have since looked up Olczak, Sanchez and Wilson.... and I dont see anything interesting about their stats (ok, Olczak had a good year) or backgrounds that make any of them special or...... risers on "our" 25 best prospects lists..

You nailed it. Just curious.....based on what? I have since looked up Olczak, Sanchez and Wilson.... and I dont see anything interesting about their stats (ok, Olczak had a good year) or backgrounds that make any of them special or...... risers on "our" 25 best prospects lists..

Brewers generally send random, no name pitchers to the AFL. It seems most teams do that. Probably not worth the extra innings on their arms and teams only send guys who need more innings.

Olczak has a plus curveball and pretty good control on that and an adequate fastball. I absolutely think he has a future as an MLB middle reliever, though perhaps not a high-leverage type. Throws strikes.

Miguel Sanchez gets good movement on his fastball/slider/change combo. Fastball gets up to 94-95. Throws from a low 3/4 arm angle with crossfire, which adds deception to the movement. Throws a few different kinds of sliders, one sweeping and the other tighter. The tighter slider can be a plus offering. Changeup isn't plus, but he's not afraid to use it either. Been one of my favorites since early last year. Same as with Olczak, I think he's a big league pitcher and has a bit more upside than Jon. When he keeps the ball down, he's been straight dominant at times.

Wilson is a long-limbed, relatively lean RHB with average hand speed and a tick above-average raw power. Has had trouble making consistent contact, though he'll go on tears and is able to launch the ball when he gets ahold of one. He's ok at third base and the corner outfield.

Sanchez has averaged more than a strikeout an inning at every level he has pitched at, and Olczak has been really good this year. Truthfully they have a better track record than some of the guys the Brewers have sent in the past and about equal to someone like Barnes who broke out there

Olczak has a plus curveball and pretty good control on that and an adequate fastball. I absolutely think he has a future as an MLB middle reliever, though perhaps not a high-leverage type. Throws strikes.

Miguel Sanchez gets good movement on his fastball/slider/change combo. Fastball gets up to 94-95. Throws from a low 3/4 arm angle with crossfire, which adds deception to the movement. Throws a few different kinds of sliders, one sweeping and the other tighter. The tighter slider can be a plus offering. Changeup isn't plus, but he's not afraid to use it either. Been one of my favorites since early last year. Same as with Olczak, I think he's a big league pitcher and has a bit more upside than Jon. When he keeps the ball down, he's been straight dominant at times.

Wilson is a long-limbed, relatively lean RHB with average hand speed and a tick above-average raw power. Has had trouble making consistent contact, though he'll go on tears and is able to launch the ball when he gets ahold of one. He's ok at third base and the corner outfield.

Olczak's numbers have been very impressive this year - a 1.46 ERA, WHIP of .988, 10.02 K/9, OBA of .188, and 1 HR allowed - which leads me to think he could be a closer. Miguel Sanchez also looks to be a good reliever, but have given up six more HR and has an ERA that is 1.05 runs higher.

But both look to be very good bullpen assets.

Wilson I like - his bat has rebounded this year from 2017, and he has versatility. I think he could be the guy who replaces Hernan Perez as a supersub on the bench.

Sanchez has struck out 13 per 9 this year - that's Peralta-type numbers.

What's really interesting is that he wasn't signed until he was 22 years old. No real record of him pitching in organized ball before that, and no mention of him in the International Signing thread for 2016. I don't know how you slip through the cracks like that, but I'm glad the Brewers found him.

Intrigued by them sending Derby. Guessing that means he'll get a 40-man spot this fall?

I kind of assume the Brewers may trade away Chacin (while value is high) or Anderson (save some $ for Schoop/Soria/Moose/Miley/FA), and not retain Miley. If so, I would protect Derby as a backup, backup plan for a starter spot next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived