Brewer Fanatic

Way Too Early 2019 Minor League Roster Forecast

And That
Both are eligible, yes. I doubt either gets protected on the 40-man at this point. Both have looked really good at times and really not good at times. Depending on when opposing scouts saw them, they could recommend them for Rule 5 draft consideration but I would be surprised if either got picked, and even more surprised if either stuck with another team. I'd say Kirby is more likely to be protected than Bickford.

I'd be on board with Hummel but the problem is that he hasn't been playing C this year - only 8 games, with 43 as a DH and 52 in the OF. There has been a bit of a logjam there though, with Feliciano (25 games at C), McDowell (45 games), Houle (17 games), and Rojas (7 games) there as well, so it may be a case of Hummel being the best OF and playing there by need. But Rojas has been playing C lately, and I don't know that he's a better prospect than Hummel.

I'd be on board with Hummel but the problem is that he hasn't been playing C this year - only 8 games, with 43 as a DH and 52 in the OF. There has been a bit of a logjam there though, with Feliciano (25 games at C), McDowell (45 games), Houle (17 games), and Rojas (7 games) there as well, so it may be a case of Hummel being the best OF and playing there by need. But Rojas has been playing C lately, and I don't know that he's a better prospect than Hummel.

Hummel's bat is arguably the best at the position.

It's frustrating. Like when I'd see Gantner in a box score in the late 80s (he's my least favorite Brewer of all time - didn't do anything) or when I see Arcia in the box score now...

Hummel was moved to OF full time prior to the beginning of the season. The Brewers have been officially listing him as an OF. He’s only filled in at catcher when they’ve been short there. The Brewers clearly do not view him as a full time fit at catcher.

Hummel was moved to OF full time prior to the beginning of the season. The Brewers have been officially listing him as an OF. He’s only filled in at catcher when they’ve been short there. The Brewers clearly do not view him as a full time fit at catcher.

While the Brewers may not consider him a catcher, others might. By not playing him there the Brewers reduce his value. If they were playing Feliciano there I might be on board but they have gone with a steady diet of organizational soldiers. Perhaps that helps the pitchers?

Archived