Brewer Fanatic

When/If Does Yelich Become an Extension Candidate?

Heck, I'd consider trading him around offseason 2020/21 depending on our situation at the time. (ducks)

I was readjusting my screen to see if you put that in a blue font... ;)

Nope not at all. I'll clarify though, I'm certainly not suggesting he be a trade candidate anytime in the near future, it would have to be the right situation for it. For example:

Suppose after 2020, we haven't really taken that next step that we had hoped. Our pitching prospects haven't given us any high end rotation starters, Cain is regressing, and we're hovering around an 80 win team, with an ok farm. Similar to 2009-15, with a better farm.

Yelich would be almost 29, with 2 more years of control, and hopefully still very productive. Our options at this point would be

A) Spend every last dime we can afford and trade every prospect to add as much talent as we can around Yelich for 2 more years and hope we can make a run. This is sort of the route we went with Fielder in 2011.

B) Extend Yelich, which would take a massive investment, knowing full well we're investing in his 31 and older seasons, and while a decline isn't imminent, the risk is certainly elevated.

C) Trade him for a massive haul and look at a 2015-2016 type rebuild.

Which would you do? I guess its honestly hard to even say without having more information, I'm just saying there are plausible potential scenarios. I'm sure the idea of trading Lucroy sounded ludicrous at one time.

Heck, I'd consider trading him around offseason 2020/21 depending on our situation at the time. (ducks)

I was readjusting my screen to see if you put that in a blue font... ;)

Nope not at all. I'll clarify though, I'm certainly not suggesting he be a trade candidate anytime in the near future, it would have to be the right situation for it. For example:

Suppose after 2020, we haven't really taken that next step that we had hoped. Our pitching prospects haven't given us any high end rotation starters, Cain is regressing, and we're hovering around an 80 win team, with an ok farm. Similar to 2009-15, with a better farm.

Yelich would be almost 29, with 2 more years of control, and hopefully still very productive. Our options at this point would be

A) Spend every last dime we can afford and trade every prospect to add as much talent as we can around Yelich for 2 more years and hope we can make a run. This is sort of the route we went with Fielder in 2011.

B) Extend Yelich, which would take a massive investment, knowing full well we're investing in his 31 and older seasons, and while a decline isn't imminent, the risk is certainly elevated.

C) Trade him for a massive haul and look at a 2015-2016 type rebuild.

Which would you do? I guess its honestly hard to even say without having more information, I'm just saying there are plausible potential scenarios. I'm sure the idea of trading Lucroy sounded ludicrous at one time.

I suppose I equate it to Ryan Braun and what happened to him. The only difference is that Braun has spent his entire career with the Brewers -- something Brewer fans appreciate. Also, I am assuming that Yelich's performance isn't illegally enhanced.

It certainly depends on the situation in a few years. If he keeps up this production and he is traded, the Brewers should get a major haul. Personally, I would like to see him and Cain remain a cornerstone for a long time.

Lookin' for a crystal ball... anybody have one? He he he

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Shawn Green is a decent Yelich comp. Both tall and kind of lanky (although Yelich has a little more beef on him than Green). Both played RF, both hit from left side. Green was an all star and top ten MVP candidate in his age 26 season (which is where Yelich is now). Green started to tail off after his age 29 season. He was still good, but probably not worth whatever contract he was getting for the production (which was between 811 OPS and 832 from age 30 - 32.).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Good article about Yelich's aggressiveness early in the count. Something I'd noticed but didn't think was this drastic:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-christian-yelich-has-changed/

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Shawn Green is a decent Yelich comp. Both tall and kind of lanky (although Yelich has a little more beef on him than Green). Both played RF, both hit from left side. Green was an all star and top ten MVP candidate in his age 26 season (which is where Yelich is now). Green started to tail off after his age 29 season. He was still good, but probably not worth whatever contract he was getting for the production (which was between 811 OPS and 832 from age 30 - 32.).

Well Green was a platoon guy in his early years which suppressed his stats and a lot of rumors point to him being a steroids guy which drove his huge short lived breakout. It makes his comp a bit difficult.

Archived