Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Autographed Card Super Project

DocLuna7

So I am working on a massive (and I know probably impossible) project. I recently have set out to acquire an autographed Brewers card from every single guy who has appeared for the Brewers since the team's founding. I know that not all guys had a Brewers card or were even alive to sign a Brewers card but will see what I can do and maybe fill in some with autographed index cards if need be. I am posting this here because I am hoping that others might be able to offer some helpful tips on where I can make cards for guys who never had a Brewers card made by an established baseball card company. I am also actively seeking donations of either normal or autographed cards as well. Have gotten a number of guys in person over the years and have been on EBay since starting this project a few weeks ago. Will be actively starting TTM in the near future.

In any event, wish me luck and if anyone has extra autographed or non-autographed cards or good pieces of advice please feel free to reach out. Thanks!

There is a website called http://www.sportscollectors.net It costs 14.99 a year, but well worth the money. A few people on there are doing the same thing as you. A member there called thepil creates custom Brewers cards for players/coaches that didn't have regular Brewers cards. He should be able to give you pointers on what some ideas on which graphics/sites/ etc.

I'm trying to collect single signed balls of every Brewers player/manager/coach. I need 240 more to go....

There is a website called http://www.sportscollectors.net It costs 14.99 a year, but well worth the money. A few people on there are doing the same thing as you. A member there called thepil creates custom Brewers cards for players/coaches that didn't have regular Brewers cards. He should be able to give you pointers on what some ideas on which graphics/sites/ etc.

I'm trying to collect single signed balls of every Brewers player/manager/coach. I need 240 more to go....

This is very helpful and thank you. Have you had any luck on sportscardforum.com? I have been messing around on there a bit but I think your sportscollectors.net recommendation seems to be the best. Thanks again and best of luck on your auto ball project

I've really slowed down on it since I was able to get pretty much every Brewer possible through the mail, but yes, Sportscollector.net is a pretty good starting point. I was trying to get each players first Brewers card, and I still would like to aim for that, but I'm starting to think I should settle for any card, especially since modern cards have so many different set options and it's hard to pinpoint a players actual first card.

A few quick takeaways from what I've experienced:

- Start with the 70's teams. You never know when someone is going to pass away.

- Miller Lite put out a card from every Brewers player from 1970 to 1994 (I believe), you should be able to find them on eBay. There's a good amount of players that only had a cup of coffee who will sign in the mail and these Miller Cards are the only cards they ever had. Layfayette Currence, John Poft, and Ray Peters comes to mind.

-Collect at your own pace. It's easy to want to get every player possible as fast as possible, but I go in spurts. I started a new project and now that that one has slowed, I'll probably go back to this Brewers one and see what's still out there. You don't wanna burn out one what should be something you're doing for fun.

-You can usually get away with sending a few cards to each player so that you can trade with others.

-Spring training is the best way to get current players, and really, that sucks too.

-If you're not worried about the cards condition, it won't matter, but invest in card savers to mail out.

-You can see which guys charge for autos on sportscollectors.net, it's usually worth looking up autos on eBay, sometimes you can snag a cheaper one.

-COMC.com is a great site to find cards, you can go through the inventory and only pay shipping once. It might cost a little bit more than you'd like to pay, but after my experience digging through boxes of commons at card shops, I'd rather just spend the extra then waste my time.

-I'll gladly make a trade with you if we can help each other out. I have lots.

Awesome card collecting ideas guys. I have monster boxes of Brewers cards that I have doubles,triples, hundereds of. Over 40,000 (not a typo). Many are junk wax era, but some rarer, older, newer stuff. If anyone is looking for a particular card, let me know. I'd be happy to take look and see if I can help. Otherwise yes, COMC.com is the second greatest site ever. I frequent it weekly.

I was curious how that was coming along. I'm guessing about 60 of those guys you need come from the last two or three seasons.

I was curious how that was coming along. I'm guessing about 60 of those guys you need come from the last two or three seasons.

I still keep plugging away at it. Balls have gone up about $4.00 each since I started. I've been able to keep up in the past 10-12 years pretty good. This year is a struggle though with all the roster movement, and its frustrating.

I'm missing most from the 71-76 and 96-03 team years. Many of the players from those years were pretty bad and Milwaukee was their only chance to play in the bigs. I find quite a few, especially from the bad era don't want to sign. They feel like they didn't get their chance and are pissed off at baseball in general.

Keep in mind, when I'm sending a baseball TTM it's a $14 ball plus about $6 in shipping. I need a pretty rock solid idea its going to be returned. There is a different mindset from sending a 10 cent card and a dollar in shipping.

Archived