Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Matt Harvey, according to Jon Heyman (Latest: Trade not happening, see post #57)

Lathund

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bag of balls and a Pabst or this doesn’t interest me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There's also a chance that they simply allow the claim to go through. They're not playing for anything, they can't offer a QO anyway. In the event the Brewers offer nothing, would they really just pull him back from waivers? ~$1m isn't a lot in MLB terms, but the Reds also wouldn't really gain anything from paying him that million

We will have to clear a 40 man spot, so maybe someone who is on the 40 already anyway? Keon Broxton? I don't know, I feel like even that is way too much.

The issue with that is that a player on the 40-man would have to clear waivers to be included in the trade. Keon Broxton wouldn't. A DFA to make room seems more likely.

Roster spot should be easy. Just dump Lyles. But indeed, there is no reason to give Cincinnati anything. Saving the salary is already a good deal for them.

Would be interested to know why the Reds weren't able to deal Harvey 3 weeks ago at the non-waiver deadline. Surely there was interest, maybe even by the Brewers at the time, but the Reds held all the leverage at that time. Now that he was claimed, they essentially have to give up Harvey for whatever is offered or pull him back and get nothing. Surely whatever the offer was on July 31st would be much better than the position they find themselves in now.

Gruber Lawffices

We will have to clear a 40 man spot, so maybe someone who is on the 40 already anyway? Keon Broxton? I don't know, I feel like even that is way too much.

The issue with that is that a player on the 40-man would have to clear waivers to be included in the trade. Keon Broxton wouldn't. A DFA to make room seems more likely.

Broxton would have a good chance to make it to Cincy on waivers though. Would just need to get past San Diego and Miami. But yeah that's probably an overpay for a rental of Harvey.

Would you...

Broxton to Reds for Billy Hamilton & Harvey?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He seems to have gotten his walks under control, so he could be a good "shore up the rotation" type. As long as he doesn't cost much (if anything), he should be a decent mid-to-back of the rotation guy to help us through September.

Nelson is out, Suter is out, Davies is setback after setback, Miley has repeatedly gotten injured this year, and Peralta is at 130 IP when his max is 120 last year, so he may need to be shut down after a few more starts. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them add Harvey.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would take him. It gives you depth down the stretch, and it allows you to keep struggling starters out of the lineup if needed.

Anderson, Chacin, Peralta, Miley, Guerra. It's not scaring a lot of people, but it's solid. Peralta has been erratic, and while Miley has been good, I hold my breath waiting for him to revert to his old form.

If someone was injured, the next guy up is Davies and (probably) Woodruff. I'm comfortable with those guys, but it's hard to count on either right now.

You could go six starters down the stretch - or give Peralta some rest if you are interested in holding his innings in check.

I think he would add some depth and flexibility to the rotation. But it's important that we are not giving up anything good for the guy, and if we can't agree on something reasonable, then forget it. He isn't worth it.

You guys gotta remember Keon Broxton has burned all of his options and we will have close to zero leverage trying to trade him this winter. Unless anyone thinks he is a 25 man roster mainstay next year we are going to lose him for close to nothing anyway. If they have interest in Broxton it would make a lot of sense. Don’t think it happens, but makes sense.

the problem with thinking that Harvey might help us defeat the Cardinals, is that it assumes that Harvey is good.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived