Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-24: Pirates (Musgrove) at Brewers (Miley) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-6 in 15 innings -- Crazy 3-Run Comeback Walk-Off Win]

Eye Black
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After you walk the pitcher, give up a two-run single to Kratz, and then the walk-off single to Arcia, you have to just retire, right?

He didn't have an ugly arm tattoo to distract our offense.

They clearly should’ve left arm tattoos in :laughing

That might be the most incredible extra inning win in my lifetime, I can't think of another one where they were down more than one run in extras and came back to win

I can think of one, from my childhood. Would have been early 90s I think and it was against the White Sox. Sox scored 3 in some extra inning and Brewers rallied for 3 to tie, ended up winning on a Willie Randolph walkoff hit in the 19th I think.

:) See, aren't you glad they don't have that extra inning rule in place?

I missed most of the game day action as I was busy welding a boat trailer out here, for a Pirates fan of all people. Didn't charge him a penny, and the Brewers came through after my work was done. I wish I could have been at this game!!

Looking ahead, I firmly believe we have better 9-12 bullpen arms than most teams in baseball. Some of Houser, Barnes, and Woodruff will be up tomorrow...I'm sure the Pirates will have AAA guys up but I doubt they are as good as those 3.

Soria, Williams, Jennings, and Albers could all pitch tomorrow I think. Maybe Jeffress just because he's nuts. With the off day coming, I kinda expect Peralta and Burnes to go down for fresh arms. Other than those 2, I think the only optionable position player is Arcia...and I guess we could do that but man that leaves us thin in the infield for a few games. It will be very interesting to see the roster shuffle tomorrow.

I'm impressed at how many of you in central time stayed up for this one. I didn't even stay up past my bedtime.

There comes a point when you are pot committed, to use a poker term!

Yeah, I don’t blame people for going to bed. I just don’t have the internal discipline necessary to do so.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm impressed at how many of you in central time stayed up for this one. I didn't even stay up past my bedtime.

Yeah, I don’t blame people for going to bed. I just don’t have the internal discipline necessary to do so.

+1

Looking ahead, I firmly believe we have better 9-12 bullpen arms than most teams in baseball. Some of Houser, Barnes, and Woodruff will be up tomorrow...I'm sure the Pirates will have AAA guys up but I doubt they are as good as those 3.

Soria, Williams, Jennings, and Albers could all pitch tomorrow I think. Maybe Jeffress just because he's nuts. With the off day coming, I kinda expect Peralta and Burnes to go down for fresh arms. Other than those 2, I think the only optionable position player is Arcia...and I guess we could do that but man that leaves us thin in the infield for a few games. It will be very interesting to see the roster shuffle tomorrow.

In an emergency, Brewers could also have Anderson ready to piggy back Chacin tomorrow. He last pitched on the 20th so he would be on full 4 day rest. Everyone else in the rotation would still be in line since we had the off day yesterday.

I truly thought the [likely] loss was the end. You lose a winnable game and crush your bullpen for the series.

12:25 AM CT: well, I won’t be wasting any more time watching baseball at night this summer/fall which is honestly kinda nice. I’m done.

12:40 AM CT: they’re alive but I’m questioning my life as to why I’m still watching Jordan Lyles and the last gasp.

12:45 AM CT: that was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I’m back in.

That might be the most incredible extra inning win in my lifetime, I can't think of another one where they were down more than one run in extras and came back to win

I can think of one, from my childhood. Would have been early 90s I think and it was against the White Sox. Sox scored 3 in some extra inning and Brewers rallied for 3 to tie, ended up winning on a Willie Randolph walkoff hit in the 19th I think.

I would've been a baby back then. But technically in my lifetime, that would count!

I was at the game last year where Broxton tied it with a two run shot in the 10th, but they couldn't do it again in the 11th.

Although the extra innings part of the following game weren’t extraordinary, the ninth inning was amazing. The biggest one-inning comeback I’ll probably ever witness in person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2000/05/23/with-epic-comeback-brewers-top-astros/3492bc79-e1eb-40ac-8cf4-09170348251f/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.572f5a393ba1

Still pinching myself (only lightly - it's late!) that Lyles actually walked with 2 out in the inning to keep it alive.... and then Kratz & Arcia both deliver in a row to win the thing.

It really took that b/c Mr. Hot Streak Yelich becomes Mr. 3x GIDP, Braun K's a couple times late, and the offense totally turtles as hits -- let alone clutch hits -- disappear almost entirely for 8 full innings.

Heck, actually it was 1 hit over 8 2/3 innings -- 3rd out in the 6th through the 1st out of the 15th -- close to a complete one-hitter (equivalent) in the middle of the game!

Although the extra innings part of the following game weren’t extraordinary, the ninth inning was amazing. The biggest one-inning comeback I’ll probably ever witness in person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2000/05/23/with-epic-comeback-brewers-top-astros/3492bc79-e1eb-40ac-8cf4-09170348251f/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.572f5a393ba1

That was an incredible win, game 1 non televised, of a double header. I only remember finding out when I came home from school and saw the highlights on ESPN. I doubt you'll see a bigger 9th inning comeback ever.

Community Moderator

That was an incredible win, game 1 non televised, of a double header. I only remember finding out when I came home from school and saw the highlights on ESPN. I doubt you'll see a bigger 9th inning comeback ever.

I remember that one! Weren't there about 500 people at that game since it was a makeup doubleheader?

It's not even necessarily that I do. It's just that I know if I don't, I will toss and turn and wonder what is happening in the game and not sleep anyway.

I remember that one! Weren't there about 500 people at that game since it was a makeup doubleheader?

I was at that game as well! It was a last minute decision to attend the doubleheader, went with my college roommate. I remember it being a sparse crowd, but not completely empty. For me it proved to be one of the most memorable games I’ve attended since obviously the comeback was incredible and more selfishly it was the only time I’ve caught a foul ball during a Major League Baseball game.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this the morning after. I got all excited when there were making some noise in the 15th, but after Braun struck out for the second out I was like, “Of course Jordan Lyles is coming up.” Then he walked...but of course Eric Kratz and Orlando Arcia are coming up. Quite possibly two of the last people you would want in that situation. And of course both get hits. I swear if Arcia wouldn’t have ended it there I don’t know what I would have done.

It was like our entire season was wrapped up into one game. A frustrating ball of Brewers. It’s like they have to test your inner patience every time.

Archived