Brewer Fanatic

Yu darvish shut down for rest of year

torts

Yu Darvish wasn't much good for the Cubs even before the injury. The Chris "Mad Dog" Russo show last week were talking about Darvish and possible retirement. Especially if it's a tommy john surgery. I wonder if the Cubs will be forced to eat the $120 million contract if he retires?

I believe the contracts work out that, if a player officially retires, they do not get paid the remainder of the contract. What typically ends up happening is that the player either goes into perpetual "rehab" for the remainder of the contract, or that the team and the player negotiate a settlement. At 32, and 5 years remaining on the contract, he's not retiring.

Yu Darvish wasn't much good for the Cubs even before the injury. The Chris "Mad Dog" Russo show last week were talking about Darvish and possible retirement. Especially if it's a tommy john surgery. I wonder if the Cubs will be forced to eat the $120 million contract if he retires?

Teams aren't required to pay any remaining salary if the player retires.

After his World Series melt down, the guy is never going to be the same. I think Alex Rodriguez was right when he talked about it causing "disorder" in the Cubs locker room. Although, I think the team still has a tough mentality. The Cubs still have a re-surging Hendricks, Lester, Hamels and an unkown in Quintana who can look like a Cy Young one game and garbage the next.

Insurance will likely pay off his contract if he is truly done beyond 2018.

Who knows if they even have insurance on Yu's contract, insurance is not a standard thing on every MLB contract and even when it exists it doesn't cover 100% of the contract.

Who knows if they even have insurance on Yu's contract, insurance is not a standard thing on every MLB contract and even when it exists it doesn't cover 100% of the contract.

Wouldn't it make sense to take insurance on a contract worth $120 million??? I mean that is a large amount of money, I think.

Wouldn't it make sense to take insurance on a contract worth $120 million??? I mean that is a large amount of money, I think.

What insurance company is underwriting a policy for a $120 million for a pitcher in his 30's who has already had Tommy John surgery? The premium would be astronomical if they did.

Disability insurance likely covers a good chunk of his contract. However he would have to be physically unable to perform and basically all avenues exhausted. A doctor pretty much has to tell you to stop for your health. Fielder is the only one in recent memory I can think of.

I am guessing it is very common on large contracts and probably doesn’t cost as much as you would think. It’s very rare, but is astronomical risk.

There's ZERO chance he walks away from $120 million.

Darvish was the only free agent starting pitcher I wanted the Brewers to pursue last off-season. Turns out that would have been a disastrous move for the Brewers.

Ditto here with the caveat that I didn't think he was going to get that many years. I really wasn't interested in him enough to think that many years at that salary was a good investment.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I want Yu to come back and pitch next year. Badly. And the year after that. Badly. I want lots and lots of terrible, expensive pitching from him until the cubs finally have to admit to a sunk cost and DFA Darvish. I'm rooting for the most damage possible, both fiscal and on the field. Hell, I hope he plugs and overflows the toilet in the cubs clubhouse.

I want Yu to come back and pitch next year. Badly. And the year after that. Badly. I want lots and lots of terrible, expensive pitching from him until the cubs finally have to admit to a sunk cost and DFA Darvish. I'm rooting for the most damage possible, both fiscal and on the field. Hell, I hope he plugs and overflows the toilet in the cubs clubhouse.

Nothing of value to add but that was funny.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived