Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-21: Reds (Romano) at Brewers (Guerra) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-7]

Eye Black
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thames just doesn’t have a spot on this team. With the way Braun is swinging it, and Aguilar of course, he should be a PH only right now.

Well he does have a spot backing up 1B when Braun is healthy because Braun can play left field. That is still a solid amount of ABs in a year. The problem is when Braun is unhealthy (often) and he ends up in RF. That just should not happen.

Probably safe to trade him in the offseason though and save the money. Santana should get another chance next year and that already gives us 4 OFers with Braun able to play 1B. Shaw can obviously play 1B in a pinch if Aguilar is banged up/taking a day off and Braun is injured.

Both of you make great points and in a weird way I agree with both of you. I was advocating for Stearns to trade Thames before the deadline because there simply wasn't any room on the roster. Thames just has no business playing in the outfield, but he is a very viable backup for Aguilar at first base. I don't think Aguilar is an every game player and he needs an occasional day off.

I should’ve worded my first sentence better. Of course he has a place on this team but it’d make more sense without him probably. Shaw and Braun both can be Aguilars backup. I’ve even been in favor of moving both Aguilar and Thames and going with Shaw and Moustakas next year. But that might just be me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived