Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-21: Reds (Romano) at Brewers (Guerra) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-7]

Eye Black
When the Brewers moved to the NL did they sign away their right to intentionally walk a batter? Because I could see a good reason in a TIE game, to maybe walk the LH with Williams pitching and have him face the RH hitter batting next, instead we switch pitchers and go with a better matchup, until the next batter and then Jennings isn't an advantage and we've blown through another pitcher... I guess since I'm just a guy posting on a forum, I don't have any idea why my idea sucks and Counsell's was brilliant...

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When the Brewers moved to the NL did they sign away their right to intentionally walk a batter? Because I could see a good reason in a TIE game, to maybe walk the LH with Williams pitching and have him face the RH hitter batting next, instead we switch pitchers and go with a better matchup, until the next batter and then Jennings isn't an advantage and we've blown through another pitcher... I guess since I'm just a guy posting on a forum, I don't have any idea why my idea sucks and Counsell's was brilliant...

I get what you're saying but putting the lead runner on base intentionally with the bases empty is almost unheard of. You go from a homer losing the game to a double losing the game.

You guys are missing the mental component of pitching. I'm not a "stat head" but how has Hader been since All-Star break? And what happened during the All-Star game? Pitching is not just physical but mental as well...............

....What? Josh Hader has been fine since the All-Star break. Really, really good, like always. Josh Hader is not remotely a problem right now.

....What? Josh Hader has been fine since the All-Star break. Really, really good, like always. Josh Hader is not remotely a problem right now.

Perhaps Counsell knows that Hader is "under stress" and reluctant to pitch him. Do you recall the vicious BOOS he got in San Francisco?? It could effect a younger guy like Hader...No one else seems to give an explanation as to why he isn't pitching more......??????????

I get what you're saying but putting the lead runner on base intentionally with the bases empty is almost unheard of. You go from a homer losing the game to a double losing the game.

I really don't blame CC for this one as Jennings has had success against LH hitters, but we can't rely on him to face RH batters, which means bringing him in to face Scooter makes the 9th a 3 pitcher inning in a time game and that means Knebel or wasting Jeffress to get out of the 9th.... I would have had Williams pitch around Scooter and if he didn't swing at any Balls then he's unintentionally/intentionally walked. Even if we get through Knebel in the 9th/10th we are running out of pitchers if the game goes into the 11th. Anyways, tough loss...

Perhaps Counsell knows that Hader is "under stress" and reluctant to pitch him. Do you recall the vicious BOOS he got in San Francisco?? It could effect a younger guy like Hader...No one else seems to give an explanation as to why he isn't pitching more......??????????

No, it was more like a few isolated boos, was not at all like you're describing. Did you watch the game, or just read an article on Yahoo about it? It has not seemed to affect him in the least, judging by his recent performance.

Hader didn't pitch today because he threw 2 innings yesterday and 1 the day before. I guess I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious here?

You mean the SF game where he pitched 1 1/3 IP and had 2 K, 0H, 0BB... That stress? what, he didn't K 3 so he was a basket case?

Matchup w/ Jennings only makes sense if there’s men on base and a hit gives Reds lead. We all knew Jennings would only see one batter regardless of the result.. was he that worried Williams would give up HR? Even if scooter singles, Williams gets next matchup. Overmanaging again a nd another inexcusable loss courtesy of counsell over thinking.

[quote

Hader didn't pitch today because he threw 2 innings yesterday and 1 the day before. I guess I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious here?

I'm quite serious. I recall the "standing ovation" that he got at Miller park and the to head to the West coast. Granted he pitched okay at AT&T Park but it could be a lingering issue. No one has any clue as to why CC hasn't used him as much and I give a possibility. What is your guess then???

[quote

I'm quite serious. I recall the "standing ovation" that he got at Miller park and the to head to the West coast. Granted he pitched okay at AT&T Park but it could be a lingering issue. No one has any clue as to why CC hasn't used him as much and I give a possibility. What is your guess then???

My guess is that you're not a Brewers fan and trolling this board. Have a good night.

Counsell has used Hader the same way all year. Either tied or with a close lead. We've just been tied and had small leads a lot less lately.

It has nothing to do with a fragile state of mind from the tweets or anything stupid like that. If that was affecting him at all they would come up with some random injury and put him on the DL.

everyone but stearns realizes we need a SP. Zimmerman cleared waivers. Asolid pitcher on a crap team. Just beat the Cubs again. Sign him up. He will be a rental.

If we dont get another SP, we will fade. Davies will be back but we need someone with playoff wins like zimmerman.

Matchup w/ Jennings only makes sense if there’s men on base and a hit gives Reds lead. We all knew Jennings would only see one batter regardless of the result.. was he that worried Williams would give up HR? Even if scooter singles, Williams gets next matchup. Overmanaging again a nd another inexcusable loss courtesy of counsell over thinking.

I thought it made good sense. It didnt work out. Look, other than Hader and Jeffries, our BP fell apart. What do you want counsell to do? It wont get any better when the B leaguer Soria comes back. Stearns gets Soria for a song, tribe gets Hand, Cubs get hammal, cards, etc everyone giving up good prospects but what are we waiting for?

Typical brewers, go cheap when playoffs on the line.

And we have to watch Scooter beat us and Kris Davis smack 35 HR already.....both brewers who stearns let go. Sad.

Sign me up for JZ.

Chacin, Anderson JZ Miley Davies

Guerra Woodruff Lyles as long relief

THEN IN ORDER OF LOW TO HIGH LEVERAGE

Barnes

Knebel

Albers

One of the lefties in AAA as a loogy

Peralta

Jennings

Burnes

Williams

Soria

Jeffress

Hader

I would also make a play for Kelvin Herrera. Get him and JZ and we are going to the playoffs.

Soria Hader and Jeffress rotate closing. Regardless if a JZ trade is realistic, we are gonna need every last arm possible to patch september together.

everyone but stearns realizes we need a SP. Zimmerman cleared waivers. Asolid crap pitcher on a crap solid team. Just beat the Cubs again. Sign him up. He will be a rental.

If we dont get another SP, we will fade. Davies will be back but we need someone with playoff wins like zimmerman.

FIXED!

Wow. Hader pitched the last two games, clearly that's why he wasn't available.

While I generally lean towards letting a guy finish an inning when he easily gets the first two, especially in a tie game when you might need to preserve your arms (and in this case Hader unavailable and possibly JJ). You simply can't argue with the math on going with Jennings vs Scooter though and call CC an idiot for it. It was completely sound logic and supported by the stats, it just didn't work out.

You guys are missing the mental component of pitching. I'm not a "stat head" but how has Hader been since All-Star break? And what happened during the All-Star game? Pitching is not just physical but mental as well...............

We kinda forget how good he is when he isn't being used but once a week...

I couldn't see the entire game (just the last 3 innings) but from what my hubby said our defense in the 3rd and 4th was a mess. We gave up 7 runs and only 2 were earned? Yikes. You can't play like that and expect to win against anybody. :(

Archived