Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-20: Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Anderson) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-2]

Eye Black
Golly, gee ... Santana has an OBP of .414!!! Are we waiting until it's .500? His OPS is over .900. Get him here and playing instead of Broxton/Thames/injured-Braun!

That's my last word on this for now. I hope David Stearns is paying attention.

I have it on firm authority that he isn't paying attention to anonymous posters on a message board.

He will be up in September. CS stats mean very little as has been shown on numerous occasions.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Golly, gee ... Santana has an OBP of .414!!! Are we waiting until it's .500? His OPS is over .900. Get him here and playing instead of Broxton/Thames/injured-Braun!

I do agree with you. I would much rather be playing Santana than Thames right now. But he will be back in September.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm pretty sure he'll be up on Sept 1. Right now you want the guy who can play every position on D really well. Perfect example is they couldn't get Thames in the lineup tonight vs a righty P and his history with the Reds. So not much PT for Santana. Let him stay in rhythm in AAA until Sept and then see what he can help with to finish the year. If Braun gets hurt again there's his chance

They did the same thing with Scooter one season with us where he started a little slow.

From 2015-16 (Scooter's last two seasons in Milwaukee) 164 players batted at least 900 times.

Of those 164 players, Scooter ranked 149th in wRC+ & 156th in WAR.

He didn't start a little slow one season, he was among the worst regulars in MLB for a two year stretch.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He was. That's why Santana was demoted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They did the same thing with Scooter one season with us where he started a little slow.

From 2015-16 (Scooter's last two seasons in Milwaukee) 164 players batted at least 900 times.

He didn't start a little slow one season, he was among the worst regulars in MLB for a two year stretch.

Very interesting ... I do like to go with stats ... but I could tell Scooter had a great swing; I knew we were undervaluing him immensely when we simply released him for virtually nothing ... ask my son .. he will tell you I was quite upset when they released Scooter ... same with Nelson Cruz, Khris Davis.

Bandy should be called up and play every game based on his CS numbers. Gave up on him too soon.

Bandy > Kratz

I was gonna say, that's probably not the best argument considering our catching situation. Bandy would be better for defensive reasons alone. I fail to come up with a single good argument for Kratz being on the roster. We have at least 4 better options in the minors than him. And yes, I'm counting McDowell as a plus defender would be just fine even with a 500 ops...better than a dreadful defender with a 550 ops.

Very interesting ... I do like to go with stats ... but I could tell Scooter had a great swing; I knew we were undervaluing him immensely when we simply released him for virtually nothing ... ask my son .. he will tell you I was quite upset when they released Scooter ... same with Nelson Cruz, Khris Davis.

Production trumps a great looking swing. At some point, you cannot keep someone who isn't producing.

Every team has transactions that, in hindsight, don't work out. I'm sure the A's would prefer to have not traded Nelson Cruz for Keith Ginter. I'm also sure the Cubbies wouldn't mind having Josh Donaldson on their roster, etc. It happens to every team.

Bandy should be called up and play every game based on his CS numbers. Gave up on him too soon.

Bandy > Kratz

I was gonna say, that's probably not the best argument considering our catching situation. Bandy would be better for defensive reasons alone. I fail to come up with a single good argument for Kratz being on the roster. We have at least 4 better options in the minors than him. And yes, I'm counting McDowell as a plus defender would be just fine even with a 500 ops...better than a dreadful defender with a 550 ops.

My point is Bandy is hitting .892 in CS, so Santana's numbers there mean very little. Bandy was bad last year as a Brewer and even worse this year. If Kratz was in CS this year he would be hitting .900 and everyone would demand bringing him up. So it goes.

Now that the Brewers have made it through the tough part of the schedule, I see the mood changing here at Brewerfan over the next week+.

If the Brewers go on a nice little run here it will only be because they're just good enough to beat the bad teams & can't hang with the actual good teams.

If they keep the winning up & clinch a wild card spot it won't really matter because they aren't good enough to win one game much less make a deep postseason run.

If they do shock the naysayers & make a deep postseason run, but ultimately come up short of winning the World Series it will be a wasted season because Stearns didn't go all in enough to win it all when we had the chance.

If they truly blow the world's collective mind & win it all, it will still be difficult to get excited about because our farm system isn't as strong as it was a year ago before our top prospects graduated or were traded for legitimate MLB players.

That is pure gold. A mod should put that post in a new thread, lock the thread and pin it to the top of the major league forum.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Production trumps a great looking swing. At some point, you cannot keep someone who isn't producing.

Every team has transactions that, in hindsight, don't work out. I'm sure the A's would prefer to have not traded Nelson Cruz for Keith Ginter. I'm also sure the Cubbies wouldn't mind having Josh Donaldson on their roster, etc. It happens to every team.

I wonder how the Indians feel about Aguilar right now.

Couple things:

1. I too am a bit dissapointed Domingo Santana never made his way back before September....but the OF is loaded and he could only play RF. Completely understandable why. I hope he provides a spark in September.

2. This is a must win even more than every game against the Cubs. Because on paper there is zero excuse to lose this game. These are the games we have to be winning or we will have to win way more against good teams...not a promising feat to conquer.

Couple things:

1. I too am a bit dissapointed Domingo Santana never made his way back before September....but the OF is loaded and he could only play RF. Completely understandable why. I hope he provides a spark in September.

2. This is a must win even more than every game against the Cubs. Because on paper there is zero excuse to lose this game. These are the games we have to be winning or we will have to win way more against good teams...not a promising feat to conquer.

If Santana had gone on anything close to one of the hot streaks he went on multiple times in 2017 during his time with Colorado Springs, he would be back up by now. Considering park factors, though, he's simply been "meh". When you are a poor defender and can only play one position, "meh" isn't going to get you a call-up.

Archived