Brewer Fanatic

If the Skid Continues

It pains me to say this but the following players need a look in September if the Brewers continue to play poorly.

Quinton Costa-Torres- 2019 Bullpen arm? Surprised he hasn't gotten a shot already.

Brandon Woodruff- Can't be worse than Peralta has been. The rotation has issues.

Javier Betancourt- #2 behind Pina?

Domingo Santana- A decision needs to be made although at bats may be hard to come by with Cain and Yelich.

Jonathon Schoop- He is signed next season so you have to play him.

Zack Brown- He is not young and doesn't need to be babied. He has been injured and may have inning limits.

Schoop is under control next season I'm guessing is what he meant, you're not going to give up what they gave up for him and then just non-tender him.

At this rate I bet they would. Why subject yourself to another year of suck at a cost pushing $10mil? Stearns may not be all that bright at that rate.

Who are you going to throw out at second base then? Hernan Perez?

I mean it would be the offseason. There are many avenues they could go. If he continues the rest of the year hitting pretty poorly I’d really question them rendering him at such a price tag. Pretty sure we could find something decent elsewhere. Regardless I doubt they hand him the job and don’t give someone else decent to compete with. If they don’t...wow, hope it works out.

I guess I find it at least questionable they would tender a guy quite similar to Villar (iffy history with the bat) at nearly twice what Villar would have costed after performing this poorly. Sounds like we might want to try and get something a bit more stable. You also have to wonder with Hiura almost here why we even want to pay a guy so much if Hiura might take said players spot after a few months.

I mean, if we are going to be bringing guys up for "a look" ... we will have to lose out the remainder of August and be 6-8 games back of the wild card to consider it.

The Brewers will be playing meaningful games into the final week and will be battling for a playoff spot ... no one is going to get a look if management doesn't think they will help win games this season.

There's already several threads talking about "what do we do now that they've lost a few games."

The condescension continues towards certain users. Ya, no reason to worry st Louis right on our feet, they will fade ( we know their history). But keep up that condescension towards people who are realists.

Why would some people worry? After all it's the brewers, we know they got this(we know their history)

I wonder what some people are gonna say when they can't say stuff like

"It's only one game"

I guess these people forgot about how many games we missed the playoffs by.

You say realist, I say panicking.

This week sucked, but it ain’t over for damn sight.

In 2011 at this point? The Brewers were red-hot and the many Cardinal fans I live around were throwing in the towel. We all know how that turned out.

It’s a 162-game season. Stick it out.

There's already several threads talking about "what do we do now that they've lost a few games."

The condescension continues towards certain users. Ya, no reason to worry st Louis right on our feet, they will fade ( we know their history). But keep up that condescension towards people who are realists.

Why would some people worry? After all it's the brewers, we know they got this(we know their history)

I wonder what some people are gonna say when they can't say stuff like

"It's only one game"

I guess these people forgot about how many games we missed the playoffs by.

I don't think he was being condescending... I think he was merely saying there are multiple areas on this board where this topic is being discussed so another thread is a little overkill.

Regardless what happens in 2018, I expect the Brewers to exercise their half of the options for Soria and Moustakas and tender Schoop a contract.

Give the players something to think about. If Moustakas exercises his half

of his 2019 option, the team could always trade him or even try to trade Shaw for starting pitching. Ditto for Soria. He probably could get a multi year deal but likely won’t top an AAV of 10 million. If he accepts the Brewers could Walt’s ship him as well.

Finally I think they’ll roll with Schoop at 2nd next year, but they could always trade him off after the season, although they’d be selliing when his value is lowest

Regardless what happens in 2018, I expect the Brewers to exercise their half of the options for Soria and Moustakas and tender Schoop a contract.

of his 2019 option, the team could always trade him or even try to trade Shaw for starting pitching. Ditto for Soria. He probably could get a multi year deal but likely won’t top an AAV of 10 million. If he accepts the Brewers could Walt’s ship him as well.

Finally I think they’ll roll with Schoop at 2nd next year, but they could always trade him off after the season, although they’d be selliing when his value is lowest

That’s $35M for those three guys even IF Moose accepts. I can’t see us keeping Schoop at that price. Ditto Soria. Moose would want a multi year deal I’d think and without draft pick penalty he will get more than $15M AAV.

That’s $35M for those three guys even IF Moose accepts. I can’t see us keeping Schoop at that price. Ditto Soria. Moose would want a multi year deal I’d think and without draft pick penalty he will get more than $15M AAV.

I'm all for keeping Moose assuming he plays well down the stretch. Schoop will probably end up OK but i'll pass on that 10 million.....ditto with Soria, bullpen arms are somewhat easy to find if you actually put your mind to it.

.500 will not get you the playoff after playing well above .500 in the first half.

.500 for 28 games against a bunch of good teams (3 vs. San Diego being the only easy games) you've faced in that stretch will absolutely get you into the playoffs.

The 0-6 stretch (or 1-7 if you move it 2 games back) @Miami and then 5 @Pit the week before the ASB may kill them.

.500 will not get you the playoff after playing well above .500 in the first half.

If we were 12 games over .500 in the 1st half and play .500 the rest of the way that would leave us with a record of 87-75 which, coincidentally and unfortunate for your argument, was exactly the record we would have needed last year to make the playoffs.

This isn't the AL - The Cubs are a rough week away from the NL playoff picture being a heap of teams hovering around between 10-15 games over 0.500. If the Brewers close out August strong against the Reds/Pirates/Reds, I still fully expect the 6 remaining games against the Cubs in the 1st 1/2 of September to decide who wins the division.

Nobody is running away with playoff spots in the NL this year. Buckle up and enjoy the ride, if you can...

This isn't the AL - The Cubs are a rough week away from the NL playoff picture being a heap of teams hovering around between 10-15 games over 0.500. If the Brewers close out August strong against the Reds/Pirates/Reds, I still fully expect the 6 remaining games against the Cubs in the 1st 1/2 of September to decide who wins the division.

Nobody is running away with playoff spots in the NL this year. Buckle up and enjoy the ride, if you can...

As blah as we have been lately I agree the division is still a real possibility. Not only do we play the Cubs many more times they just flat out aren't that good either. We suck so bad yet the Cubs only sit 3.5 ahead...that says something about them too.

I certainly think they are a strong favorite, but 3.5 games isn't anything. Our pitching could all get out of their slumps and go on a streak to end it. It happens all the time, baseball is really streaky. I remember that 2011 team being solid, but nothing special till the last two months. Then we turned into a big World Series threat.

Not saying it will happen, but this team still has some good baseball left, just a matter of how much for how long. Also incredibly important is how the teams we play are doing. Sometimes the worst teams are hot and the best are cold...luck of timing.

Astros 2nd half this year: 11-14

Both World Series Teams last year in the 2nd half

Astros 2nd half last year (End of July - August): 12-19

Dodgers streak last year: 1-16

Archived