Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-17: Brewers (Peralta) at Cardinals (Flaherty) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Eye Black
What would be the general opinion if one were to suggest keeping Moustakas and trading Shaw. Asking for a friend.

I'd be open to it, but only if the return for Shaw was quite significant.

Yeah, should have qualified the return part but I was thinking starting pitching.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just a terrible take. There are countless pitchers who don't come into their own by 26. You should see what Jake Arrieta's career ERA was at age 27 after several hundred innings.

As another example, go look at Jimmy Nelson's first year or two at the big league level.

Yep. And I misspoke. Woodruff is 25, not 26. For some examples...

Jacob DeGrom never even pitched in an MLB game until just before his 26th birthday.

Corey Kluber had a career ERA over 5 when he was 26.

There are many other examples, but yeah, you don't write a guy off as 'he sucks' at 25 after 73 innings.

Does anyone still really believe, gun to your head, that this team is making the playoffs this year?

I'm out. but to be fair I've been out for a bit. I'm not sure they even finish higher than third in the division.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Does anyone still really believe, gun to your head, that this team is making the playoffs this year?

No, no I don't. I've tried countless times to fool myself into thinking this is the year, but deep down if everyone is honest with themselves, this is yet another example of coming out fast out of the gate only to run out of breath coming down the home stretch. I don't know why some here keep lying to themselves about it. This is the culture of Brewers baseball: playoff appearences a dime a dozen. Even 2008 you couldn't get too excited because you knew they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. I wonder if Stearns got fooled and made a mistake abandoning the rebuild after overachieving last season and making the trades he did since. The Brewers have taken over the Cubs lovable losers identity.

I've been so negative about the Brewers for so long that SOMEDAY they are going to prove me wrong... I really don't think this is the year...

I'm out. but to be fair I've been out for a bit. I'm not sure they even finish higher than third in the division.

Me too. This will be an interesting off season. Counsell and Stearns both should feel a bit of heat after this collapse. Have to decide on Moose and Schoop. Find a take for Braun or Thames. Decide what's up with Arcia. Lots to do if they want to get serious.

If this team rattles off 6 or 7 games in a row in the near future, people's attitudes will change...

I think they "can" make the play-offs, but the way things have recently gone, I am doubting it.

All it would really take is a decent hot stretch, where things fall their way for an extended period of time and I think it's possible.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I thought for awhile even with all the holes we could sneak into the playoffs since no one is really good in the NL this year. Now that the Cardinals are around, no way.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Me too. This will be an interesting off season. Counsell and Stearns both should feel a bit of heat after this collapse. Have to decide on Moose and Schoop. Find a take for Braun or Thames. Decide what's up with Arcia. Lots to do if they want to get serious.

Counsell should be on the hot seat, but not Stearns. He's done a fantastic job minus a couple hiccups. Counsell however has made some pretty head scratching decisions this season, especially when it comes to pitching changes. Perhaps Stearns should look for a manager with more experience that can get more out of this team and get them over the playoff hump.

No, no I don't. I've tried countless times to fool myself into thinking this is the year, but deep down if everyone is honest with themselves, this is yet another example of coming out fast out of the gate only to run out of breath coming down the home stretch. I don't know why some here keep lying to themselves about it. This is the culture of Brewers baseball: playoff appearences a dime a dozen.

SUlsIHr.gif

Freddy Peralta is someone who could possibly benefit from an outside the box type approach like the Rays use at times with starting a reliever.

Don't ask me why. But I think it could work for him. He takes awhile to settle in and might benefit from starting in the 2nd where at least if he gets in trouble he'll only have to get through the bottom of the order to get out of it.

That said I'd still prefer to see him out of the rotation entirely for Woodruff or Burnes.

No, no I don't. I've tried countless times to fool myself into thinking this is the year, but deep down if everyone is honest with themselves, this is yet another example of coming out fast out of the gate only to run out of breath coming down the home stretch. I don't know why some here keep lying to themselves about it. This is the culture of Brewers baseball: playoff appearences a dime a dozen.

SUlsIHr.gif

Sorry, I meant few and far between. :embarrassed

SUlsIHr.gif

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

baseballamerica.com lists Counsell as the best manager in the NL ... voted upon by other managers and scouts, I guess ... somebody likes Counsell, I guess.

Counsell is whatever. He's fine. I don't agree with all his decisions, but it's that way no matter who the manager is. My only real complaint with him is how long he stuck with Knebel this year and was still married to the idea of a conventional closer, but for the most part I think he is able to think outside the box.

baseballamerica.com lists Counsell as the best manager in the NL ... voted upon by other managers and scouts, I guess ... somebody likes Counsell, I guess.

Right now I would say the Cardinals manager, whatever his name is, is the best. Look what he's done with them since taking over for Matheny. Managers do make a difference.

Counsell is whatever. He's fine. I don't agree with all his decisions, but it's that way no matter who the manager is. My only real complaint with him is how long he stuck with Knebel this year and was still married to the idea of a conventional closer, but for the most part I think he is able to think outside the box.

Counsell has to wear at least part of the crappy hitting this year. Games like this, we have no chance. We have these games 3 days a week. It's incredibly frustrating.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Archived