Brewer Fanatic

catching depth down the stretch

djoctagone

the brewers may be in a precarious situation with manny pina's left shoulder injury.

Nottingham should get a call too if healthy.

if nottingham isn't healthy, you have to wonder if the club will create space on the 40-man to add jett bandy or christian bethancourt. both have been putting up respectable offensive stats in triple-a.

nottingham's right wrist chip fracture should be re-evaluated around 22 august. until then, his wrist will be immobilized.

the 40-man is currently full.

the brewers could select the contract of either jett bandy or christian bethancourt if pina is placed on the disabled list, but would have to outright that player if pina was activated before 1 september.

we'll obviously know a lot more after pina's mri.

We shoulda got Ramos, then maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

I don't know much about Bethancourt. I seen someone say Bandy was raking. Is this true? I know it's CS. Ugh, Bandy is just Sogard at catcher, I'll gladly be wrong.

Looking into Betancourt he isn't better then bandy unless he has a cannon for a arm. Calls great games or frames well. I rather go with a hot bat in Bandy.

That is if the Bandy was raking like the person said he was..

Preferred option woulda been Ramos...now cervelli, but that ain't gonna happen. We are just gonna have to live with having annoyingly bad catcher.

But at least Kratz has put together some decent performances as of late.

How would this work? Wouldn't they need to put Pina on the 60 day to clear a spot on the 40 to select Bandy or Bethancourt? (Or trade for a C)

Unless Pina's shoulder is toast for the season, he'd go on the 10-day DL and they'd have to outright someone off the 40-man to create a spot for Bandy or Bethancourt.

With Asher DFA'd, I wonder if Ariel Hernandez might be the guy gone gone -- as quickly as he arrived (remember Stearns' approach to waiver claim is a rather different than Doug Melvin's, when Doug seemingly often used to count on them as roster locks, keep them on the 25-man or 40-man longer than many others could justify, invite them to family gatherings, etc.) -- unless he's instantly figured out what was ailing his game. Then again, if no other team claimed him, he'd still be Brewers property, just no longer on the 40-man (assuming he doesn't reject the outright and choose free agency, that is, if he were eligible to do so).

Brewers currently have Ariel Hernandez, Jordan Lyles, Jake Thompson and Nate Orf all on the 40-man roster. Really don't see an issue if Bandy needs to be re-added to cover for the Pina and Nottingham injuries.

the brewers have two healthy utility infielders on the 40-man in tyler saladino and nate orf. the club could justify outrighting one of the two.

ariel hernandez and jake thompson are the only two bullpen candidates that can be recalled in the near-term (jacob barnes, adrian houser, and aaron wilkerson all have to stay optioned for at least 10 days unless replacing a player put on the disabled list). removing one of them means there's only one "bullpen shuttle" candidate available in the near-term.

the brewers could recall the injured mauricio dubon and place him on the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot. dubon would earn major league pay and the service time clock would start ticking.

ditto with jacob nottingham, but it's projected that he could be recovered by september, so putting him on the 60-day dl would prevent the club from using him the rest of the season.

We shoulda got Ramos, then maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

I don't know much about Bethancourt. I seen someone say Bandy was raking. Is this true? I know it's CS. Ugh, Bandy is just Sogard at catcher, I'll gladly be wrong.

Looking into Betancourt he isn't better then bandy unless he has a cannon for a arm. Calls great games or frames well. I rather go with a hot bat in Bandy.

That is if the Bandy was raking like the person said he was..

Preferred option woulda been Ramos...now cervelli, but that ain't gonna happen. We are just gonna have to live with having annoyingly bad catcher.

But at least Kratz has put together some decent performances as of late.

Bethancourt is a former consensus top 100 prospect in the Braves system. He posted an .880 OPS as a 19 year old in the Arizona Fall League in 2011. That opened eyes. He debuted in the majors with 1 plate appearance in 2013, and split time between AAA and the majors in both 2014 and 2015. Though he hit very well at AAA in 2015, he didn't do much in the majors and was dealt to San Diego. He spent all of 2016 in a backup role for the Padres where he hit like a typical backup catcher: .228/.265/.368 .633 with 6 HR. He's a 0.7 plus WAR defensively for his brief major league career, throwing out 35% of base stealers. He's at 41% for CS this year. I saw him in person in Arizona this spring and I was impressed. Physically, he looks the part. He's got power as evidenced by 19 HR this year. I don't think he'll ever hit for big average, but Bethancourt is certainly capable of being an adequate major league backup if not a marginal starter. He's got a better pedigree than Pina had when he became the starter and I'd argue it's better than Nottingham or Bandy too. It's not like he's old, he turns 27 in September.

Maybe something else that could be discussed in this thread is if Erik Kratz should even be on the 40-man roster. His lifetime .210/.255/.367/.622 is below Bandy's .218/.282/.365/.647. Since the beginning of July, Kratz has hit .228/.253/.304/.557. I don't want to completely discredit the guy because he does bring some quality defense (even counting the critical passed ball yesterday). But he is just awful as an offensive player. Just awful.

Maybe something else that could be discussed in this thread is if Erik Kratz should even be on the 40-man roster. His lifetime .210/.255/.367/.622 is below Bandy's .218/.282/.365/.647. Since the beginning of July, Kratz has hit .228/.253/.304/.557. I don't want to completely discredit the guy because he does bring some quality defense (even counting the critical passed ball yesterday). But he is just awful as an offensive player. Just awful.

I like him better as a pitching prospect. Not in blue. Seriously who can’t use a knuckleball pitcher?

Stearns has been mystified by the catcher position since day one so it’s no shock that he brings in a 38 year old career nobody to a team looking to acquire “young controllable talent”.

I like him better as a pitching prospect. Not in blue. Seriously who can’t use a knuckleball pitcher?

Stearns has been mystified by the catcher position since day one so it’s no shock that he brings in a 38 year old career nobody to a team looking to acquire “young controllable talent”.

The Brewers have been snakebit at C because everyone they put in the position since they traded Lucroy has been hurt. Having 4 or 5 guys hurt non stop does not make you mystified, it means you had an injury stack.

jacob nottingham is being eased back into hitting and should be ready to play in about a week. colorado springs can take advantage of the remainder of their regular season through 3 september, and if the sky sox qualify for the postseason, should be able to manage with jett bandy and christian bethancourt as their postseason catchers--allowing nottingham to be recalled.

jacob nottingham is being eased back into hitting and should be ready to play in about a week. colorado springs can take advantage of the remainder of their regular season through 3 september, and if the sky sox qualify for the postseason, should be able to manage with jett bandy and christian bethancourt as their postseason catchers--allowing nottingham to be recalled.

What value would Nottingham have to the Brewers with virtually no action since July? If he's ready to play, let him play for CS through their playoffs, then recall him. Bethancourt's earned a roster spot with an outstanding season. Kratz will likely be taken off the roster after the season, so no reason not to add a guy like Bethancourt to compete for a job next year anyway.

What value would Nottingham have to the Brewers with virtually no action since July? If he's ready to play, let him play for CS through their playoffs, then recall him. Bethancourt's earned a roster spot with an outstanding season. Kratz will likely be taken off the roster after the season, so no reason not to add a guy like Bethancourt to compete for a job next year anyway.

Obligatory Colorado Springs-related post:

Do the other 9 journeyman-caliber players that are having as good or better of a season there also deserve a roster spot?

Do the other 9 journeyman-caliber players that are having as good or better of a season there also deserve a roster spot?

Check the minor league careers of Bethancourt and Nottingham outside of CS and explain to me how Nottingham is a better prospect.

Check the minor league careers of Bethancourt and Nottingham outside of CS and explain to me how Nottingham is a better prospect.

It's hard to tell. Bethancourt seems to be a guy that is currently capped out as a AAAA player. He was a .660 OPS guy in A and AA and started that way in AAA. Now that he's on the Colorado Springs juice he is a "good" hitter and had a solid, yet not spectacular season with AAA Gwinnett before that. However, he has struggled mightily in the majors. Very mightily.

Nottingham also had the same numbers coming up and as he might be coming of age, also is having a great season at Colorado Springs.

Both of these guys were .650 OPS guys for portions of their minors career other than in the very low minors. Now they're both hitting well in Colorado Springs, but almost everyone does.

So, long story short...I don't know? They both had the same trajectory, the only difference is that Bethancourt has failed several times in the majors. Nottingham has had less of a chance to fail so may get the first crack until they find out that he also cannot hack it in the majors.

Archived