Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-15: Brewers (Guerra) at Cubs (Hendricks) 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-4]

Eye Black
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess deciding to leave Guerra in the game has the advantage of eliminating another high leverage situation to bring in a pinch hitter for the pitcher's spot - he'll just give up more runs to extend the Cub lead.

Really confusing last couple innings from CC - don't challenge a play that probably costs you a run, and don't get aggressive with pinch hitting from a deep bench by leaving a scuffling starter in to make an out at the plate and continue scuffling on the mound while a fresh bullpen should be ready to roll.

I wasn't on the hating Counsell train before, but clearly this is as close to a "must win" as things get in August. I don't think Craig should be back on a (hopefully) much improved team this offseason.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Hader has pitched 4 times since July 30th, for a total of 4.2 innings. Your best pitcher isn’t your best pitcher if you never put him in the game. You don’t need to save him for the postseason if you’re playing yourself out of postseason contention. If he was a starter he would’ve pitched 20+ innings in that time frame, although I can see his value as a reliever. BUT NOT IF HE IS NEVER IN THE GAME

there sure better be a more high leverage situation to pinch hit for the pitcher's spot than right here in this game...I would've thought pretty hard about getting a bat in to hit in that spot with a rested pen, an off day coming up, and sketchy weather in the area.

No kidding. That needs to be in the playbook more often. I realize you can't do it on a regular basis because of bullpen workloads, but the value of a far more promising plate appearance in a high leverage situation should not be underestimated. It's way more important than milking one more inning out of a pitcher who, the way things are going, might have to be pulled next inning anyway.

Oh, would you look at that.

Just awful, awful game management by Counsell today.

Today?? All season it has been poor. Winning is great camouflage.

Today is true. All season he's fine on the whole. Not perfect but I feel like a baseball team could go 161-1 and people would still hate their manager. He generally plays leverage/switches pretty well.

Hader has pitched 4 times since July 30th, for a total of 4.2 innings. Your best pitcher isn’t your best pitcher if you never put him in the game. You don’t need to save him for the postseason if you’re playing yourself out of postseason contention. If he was a starter he would’ve pitched 20+ innings in that time frame, although I can see his value as a reliever. BUT NOT IF HE IS NEVER IN THE GAME

Jacob Barnes has pitched more innings than Hader. He has been sent down 3 times!! What does that tell you?? How that cam be the case is all you need to know about how he has been mismanaged.

I am not watching the game, just following it on mlb gameday, but a lot of people are mentioning a lot of bad luck for us but also that Shaw has no range...anyone care to sum up what is going on?

All I can see is ground ball singles, fly ball singles, and wild pitches...

Yeah, this is going to get ugly now...what a farce.

Not a must win but easily one of the more important games of the year given standings and stage of the season, and the Brewers get done in by sticking with a struggling starter followed by nowhere near their best available reliever

I am not watching the game, just following it on mlb gameday, but a lot of people are mentioning a lot of bad luck for us but also that Shaw has no range...anyone care to sum up what is going on?

same here, and pitchers going from 0-2 counts to walking people. lol. bad day at the office

Well, we blew a chance to save a run on a challenge in the 2nd, blew a chance to get back in it in the 3rd and then put gas on the fire in the 4th. But at least we saved all our best pen arms for the day off tomorrow!

a few grounders he was a step or two away from, so kind of bad luck. A few pop ups to the OF that fall just in front of the OF. They're a few feet away from this game still being close. That's baseball though

Archived