Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jake Thompson from Phillies

markedman5

Why?

His results and peripherals aren't good, even in AAA the last couple of years.

Because he's 24 with a really good arm and they got him for basically nothing. He's not expected to do anything here this year for Milwaukee. Maybe they can bring out the reasons he was a consensus top 100 prospect, or maybe he flops and nothing is lost.

I really hope trading cash doesn't come back and bite us in the you know what

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Plus he'll have an option next year, so if they can straighten him out, he could be on the taxi squad.

They are getting a guy who was a consensus top 100 prospect in 2016 and is only 24. My guess is they are building the taxi squad for 2019 with potential for more. His resume is not all the different than Woodruff.

The farm system is pretty bare especially in pitching, so it’s smart to add some of these fallen star former prospects and hope they can recapture what made them intriguing at one time.

On the other hand, there is probably a reason a former top 100 who is only 24 was a available for cash.

I like the move. Fairly decently rated prospect at one point and there is zero risk.

You sometimes see guys with decent pedigree and then they don't make it initially. Team 1 gives up on them, and they put it together elsewhere.

This is not a guaranteed situation, but a low risk move.

Really funny that he was traded along with Corey Knebel for Joakim Soria back in the day.

the guy whose roster spot thompson took, alec asher, was part of the six-player return from texas when the phillies acquired thompson (plus four others) for cole hamels, jake diekman and cash.

I like the move. Fairly decently rated prospect at one point and there is zero risk.

You sometimes see guys with decent pedigree and then they don't make it initially. Team 1 gives up on them, and they put it together elsewhere.

This is not a guaranteed situation, but a low risk move.

I agree, with Jake Arrieta being the most glaring such example.

I think if the Brewers had been further along in their competitive window when Jimmy Nelson originally came up they may not have had the luxury of being as patient with his development at the MLB level as they ultimately were. Now the question will be whether the Brewers are able to further develop a young pitcher like Thompson while also trying to maximize the value of their 40-man roster spots.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Thompson was a top-100 propsect pre-2015 and pre-2016 because in 2014 he put up a 3.12 ERA, 1.234 WHIP, and 9 K/9 as a 20-year-old across 130 innings n A+ and AA; being only 20 there was the proverbial assumption of progression. But the opposite happened - his K rate has been dropping ever since, going down to 7.6 in 2015, 6.0 in AAA in 2016, 6.8 in AAA in 2017. It has rebounded this year, but so have the walks - 9.4 K/9 in AAA, but 5.0 BB/9 (6.1 BB/9 in the majors). That's why he was available for cash.

Archived