Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-12: Brewers (Anderson) at Braves (Newcomb) 12:35 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-7]

Eye Black
Here’s where we’ll hear the “it’s just one game” and “it’s a long season” comments. Nope, it’s not just one game when we continue down this losing trend that’s been running for the last few months.

The last game I went to was May 30th. We improved to 15 over that day. Well, a month and a half later and we haven't added a single game, in fact, lost two.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burnes has been a really great starting pitcher his entire professional career, now you put him in the pen which he has never done, have him going on back to back days, an entirely different routine than starting, not really surprising that it is starting to not go all that well.

Hader started all 25 games he pitched in the minors in 2016. He then started all 12 games he pitched in the minors in 2017 prior to his call up. We should probably pull him out of the pen before it starts to not go all that well.

So because it worked well for Hader, who many experts thought was going to wind up in the pen anyway, means it's the right path for every other starter including Burnes, whom no expert ever projected for the pen. Got it.

Being a sports fan has to be one of the most absolutely irrational human pursuits. Sometimes I'm not sure why I invest countless hours in misery hoping that just once in my life, I'll see a championship-clinching moment for the Brewers. I've envisioned that moment so many times in my head (routine fly ball, or a grounder that goes 6-3, and the players erupt in ecstasy), yet my eyes moisten to think about it still. It feels so far away...

Here’s where we’ll hear the “it’s just one game” and “it’s a long season” comments. Nope, it’s not just one game when we continue down this losing trend that’s been running for the last few months.

It's not so much the loss, its the way they are losing these games. Our pitching has been absolutely horrendous in the second half. Bullpen ERA of over 10 in August...I keep thinking they will put the offense and pitching together at the same time but its just not happening. Really frustrating to watch.

While the Brewers have lost 7 of their last 11, the Cardinals have won 9 of their last 11 to pick up 5 games and pull within 2.5 of the Brewers.

Tough week coming up.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Being a sports fan has to be one of the most absolutely irrational human pursuits. Sometimes I'm not sure why I invest countless hours in misery hoping that just once in my life, I'll see a championship-clinching moment for the Brewers. I've envisioned that moment so many times in my head (routine fly ball, or a grounder that goes 6-3, and the players erupt in ecstasy), yet my eyes moisten to think about it still. It feels so far away...

It's not being a sports fan, it's being a fan of this team. They have been in prime contention for the postseason and collapsed in the 2nd half in '98, '99, '01, '06, '07, '08(luckily the Mets collapsed harder), '09, '14, '17, likely '18.

A couple more years of bottoming out could've gone a long way, instead they won't have any more top picks anytime soon and they've already started to gut the farm on rentals.

It's not being a sports fan, it's being a fan of this team. They have been in prime contention for the postseason and collapsed in the 2nd half in '98, '99, '01, '06, '07, '08(luckily the Mets collapsed harder), '09, '14, '17, likely '18.

A couple more years of bottoming out could've gone a long way, instead they won't have any more top picks anytime soon and they've already started to gut the farm on rentals.

They dont have the money so they never take the risk, exception when we got CC. But we shouldda got DeGrom. Instead, we lose. Wait till next year.

Getting sick of Anderson fitting the description of total mediocrity lately. He's averaging less than 5 innings per start over the last 7 starts. He's gotten pulled prior to reaching the 85 pitch mark in 3 of the last 4. Can't really blame Counsell for not trusting him. He has an unsightly 5.23 FIP, and when watching Anderson it seems like a complete blow-up is just around the corner.

And Chacin pinch-hitting to lead off an inning is still bothering me. I know it's early in the game and using a pinch-hitter there may leave the team short later in the game, but Counsell has to risk it and use an actual hitter there with the top of the order following the pinch-hitter.

They dont have the money so they never take the risk, exception when we got CC. But we shouldda got DeGrom. Instead, we lose. Wait till next year.

Hard to get a guy that isn't really available. If Hiura+ a few other prospects would have been enough, some other more prospect heavy team would have acquired him.

Burnes has been a really great starting pitcher his entire professional career, now you put him in the pen which he has never done, have him going on back to back days, an entirely different routine than starting, not really surprising that it is starting to not go all that well.

Hader started all 25 games he pitched in the minors in 2016. He then started all 12 games he pitched in the minors in 2017 prior to his call up. We should probably pull him out of the pen before it starts to not go all that well.

So because it worked well for Hader, who many experts thought was going to wind up in the pen anyway, means it's the right path for every other starter including Burnes, whom no expert ever projected for the pen. Got it.

Hader is just one of many examples, as most relievers were starters in the minors.

I would never argue every other starter follow the same path. If all your pitchers were relievers the game could never begin & that would be almost as unfortunate as pretending that every time a pitcher surrenders a run it is because they are being misused & not just something that inevitably happens.

Today game how many 2 out runs did the Braves scored on us. How many guys this team leave on base today. I not sure what is the issues this team has at this point but the starters are not getting deep and also the use of the bullpen why guys are not used for a while. The addition n Schoop has been a dud at this point. I would love to see the brewers get into the playoffs but not sure they will be constant enough to do that. If they fail i would be curious to see what happens

Hader is just one of many examples, as most relievers were starters in the minors.

I would never argue every other starter follow the same path. If all your pitchers were relievers the game could never begin & that would be almost as unfortunate as pretending that every time a pitcher surrenders a run it is because they are being misused & not just something that inevitably happens.

Well, my personal feeling was always that Burnes was miscast in the bullpen. I never felt that way about Hader. In July my personal preference was that Burnes and Peralta switch roles. It seemed to make sense in every way, especially trying to control Peralta's innings while still having a high K pitcher for the pen.

Obviously, I can't prove how it would have worked out, but after a number of bad Peralta starts, struggles in the rotation in general, and some struggles for Burnes out of the pen, I'd be willing to bet that the answer is: better than it has.

Peralta has struggled in the first inning consistently. That profiles as a very bad reliever.

Almost totally meaningless over a sample of less than a dozen start with even a smaller sample of actual struggle in the 1st, especially when starters have to approach the 1st inning much differently than a reliever who is only going to go 1 or 2. Opponents have a .581 OPS against Peralta only seeing him once a game.

Archived