Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-09: Padres (Erlin) at Brewers (Guerra) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-4]

Eye Black
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably have an oldmanyellsatcloud.gif somewhere, but I don't have it in me right now.

Good, it's played out.

Clearly it isn't. The era of baseball you seem to be stuck in is dead.

The gif is played out. The gif. I am stuck in the past yes. A person using that played out gif is also stuck in the past.

JJ needs to be the closer. Corey doesn't have it this year and can't be trusted. Hopefully CC rectifies the situation.

I prefer to have JJ available to pitch high leverage situations. I mean. Knebel had the 7, 8, and 9 guys. If we can't trust him to get those guys out...then maybe he shouldn't be trusted anytime with a lead.

I had hoped he would keep JJ in, but I thought going with Knebel there was okay. Gotta assume hes not going to walk all 3 of those guys...right? Or maybe not.

High leverage situations like... the last inning of the game? The most important one when you have a lead?

It isn’t really all that more important than any other inning. The problem is a psychological one. It is clear that players do better in defined roles. People have argued for years that managers should simply use matchups and ride the hot hand, but real players in real life don’t always respond best in that situation. So I actually get CC’s hesitance to upset the established order in the bullpen.

That said, nothing is guaranteed forever. At some point, performance must dictate strategy when the results are so apparently poor. I think we’ve reached that point with Knebel. I hope Soria and/or Jeffress and/or Hader are up to it. Goodness knows the rest of the ‘pen probably isn’t. What a mess right now.

MoreTrife is going to love the Braves broadcast this weekend.

:laughing :laughing I'm not that old school.

And really my only issue is I'm pissed but everyone loves to pounce on negative emotion, which isn't allowed around here.

Wonder if Soria’s injury is related to reduced warm-up time in the pen

Man, I hope not. This is where CC really botched this game. Soria started warming up way too late. After that first walk Soria should've been warming up. Instead he waited.... and waited.... and waited.

And really my only issue is I'm pissed but everyone loves to pounce on negative emotion, which isn't allowed around here.

I'm pissed too, but I'm pissed at our guys, not Renfroe.

Mostly I'm pissed at Corey who basically cost us this game himself.

Counsell just said they aren't putting him back in the 9th...said they are going to give him some easier spots.

Then the restructuring of the bullpen has begun. It may not be overstating things to say that the fate of the season hangs in the balance of getting it right, and soon.

JJ needs to be the closer. Corey doesn't have it this year and can't be trusted. Hopefully CC rectifies the situation.

I prefer to have JJ available to pitch high leverage situations. I mean. Knebel had the 7, 8, and 9 guys. If we can't trust him to get those guys out...then maybe he shouldn't be trusted anytime with a lead.

I had hoped he would keep JJ in, but I thought going with Knebel there was okay. Gotta assume hes not going to walk all 3 of those guys...right? Or maybe not.

High leverage situations like... the last inning of the game? The most important one when you have a lead?

Actually if I have a lead of two runs and the 4-5-6 are due up in the 8th, I want my best reliever in the game that inning. That is the high leverage inning to me. You expect him to get them out, leaving the bottom of the order to another "lesser" reliever.

The only thing that is the problem is that Knebel couldn't get four pretty terrible hitters out. So now you have Barnes and Knebel that can't be trusted in any type of close game and Jennings only with lefties. So now Lyles has to be available for close games whether he is able or not. Can't have three relievers not trusted to be in a close game, with the workload we have and Hader's restrictions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Half the IGTs are nothing but negative emotions.

There's no reason Jeffress couldn't have worked the 9th today too, and that probably would have been that.

But nope, gotta have your 9th inning guy. Hope it was worth it, Craig.

JJ only pitched 14. 13 were strikes. 2 Ks. Clearly he could have finished and we wouldnt be in a tie for the wildcard now.

But we have seen this before this season with Corey.

The silver lining in this is that Counsell will learn from this repeated error and finally allow JJ to finish or close. It chaps my ass when JJ or Hader only pitch 1 inning and yield to knebel or Barnes or anyone else. Makes no sense if the pitch count is less than 15. Im tired of the boys club, obviously Knebel is in it. Sheesh!

There's no reason Jeffress couldn't have worked the 9th today too, and that probably would have been that.

But nope, gotta have your 9th inning guy. Hope it was worth it, Craig.

JJ only pitched 14. 13 were strikes. 2 Ks. Clearly he could have finished and we wouldnt be in a tie for the wildcard now.

But we have seen this before this season with Corey.

The silver lining in this is that Counsell will learn from this repeated error and finally allow JJ to finish or close. It chaps my ass when JJ or Hader only pitch 1 inning and yield to knebel or Barnes or anyone else. Makes no sense if the pitch count is less than 15. Im tired of the boys club, obviously Knebel is in it. Sheesh!

That is an embarrassing display of pitching, and it isnt a one day deal either. Knebel has been a disaster or teetering on one for some time now...time to demote him where he belongs, mop up duty until he figures out how to be a competent relief pitcher.

People continue to assume the crew is making the playoffs. Counsell is managing like he does too. I do not. Play to win the game.

I don't think there is a single person who assumes the Brewers are making the playoffs, and I guarantee you CC doesn't assume that either.

Brewers were 57-2 when leading after 8 innings before today.

Now they’re 57-3, giving then a percentage that’s pretty much in line with league averages, especially for teams with winning records.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived