Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade Jon Perrin for Sal Biasi

adambr2

Trading a rule 5-eligible RHP prospect for a non rule 5-eligible RHP prospect. While I don't know enough about either guy to judge their relative value, it's a type of deal that makes a lot of sense.

It would be nice to know what kind of stuff Biasi has. We know Perrin gets by on pitchability more than stuff so hopefully we are getting an lottery ticket upgrade here.

Nice to see the Brewers give Perrin a chance since it is unlikely he would have cracked our roster in the next few years.

Last report I saw on Biasi indicates he's a three pitch pitcher that primarily likes to work with a fastball and curveball. Low 90's velocity on fastball and tops out around 95. Likes to work in the bottom of the strike zone. Likely tops out as a back end of the rotation starter or long reliever. Actually sounds a bit like Perrin, although I thought that Perrin primarily likes to go fastball/change-up (and mixes in a slider and very occasional curveball). These scouting reports weren't the most current, so if someone knows more then please correct me.

Note that Perrin is from Kansas.

Last report I saw on Biasi indicates he's a three pitch pitcher that primarily likes to work with a fastball and curveball. Low 90's velocity on fastball and tops out around 95. Likes to work in the bottom of the strike zone. Likely tops out as a back end of the rotation starter or long reliever. Actually sounds a bit like Perrin, although I thought that Perrin primarily likes to go fastball/change-up (and mixes in a slider and very occasional curveball). These scouting reports weren't the most current, so if someone knows more then please correct me.

Note that Perrin is from Kansas.

I believe I saw something very similar on this guy. I noticed he has decent k/bb ratio.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Only a few years ago, prospects the caliber of Jon Perrin made regular appearances in the Brewers' starting rotation (Ben Hendrickson, anyone?). The fact that the system is so deep that they determined that there was no way they would be able to protect him come Rule 5 time speaks volumes. This is a solid move to grab a younger guy with some upside in Biasi.

https://twitter.com/2080adam/status/1027033167306285056

New #Brewers prospect Sal Biasi: RH-RP only, have seen him 93-5 one look at 90-92 in another. Decent mid-80s SL is primary off-speed. FV 40 middle relief ceiling w/ some risk to get there, more a 4A guy if he stalls.

So they traded one 40 OFP guy who did need to be protected (Perrin) for another 40 OFP guy who did not need to be protected (Biasi).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Its not like there is any chance Perrin actually would have been picked in the Rule 5 though.

It could be argued that he's an MLB-ready relief prospect. While he doesn't have the upside that you'd typically look for in a Rule 5 selection, I could see a team grabbing him to fill out the back of their pen. Heck, when a guy like Oliver Drake gets a chance with 5 different teams in one season to fill a similar role, that tells me there is a need out there.

Its not like there is any chance Perrin actually would have been picked in the Rule 5 though.

It could be argued that he's an MLB-ready relief prospect. While he doesn't have the upside that you'd typically look for in a Rule 5 selection, I could see a team grabbing him to fill out the back of their pen. Heck, when a guy like Oliver Drake gets a chance with 5 different teams in one season to fill a similar role, that tells me there is a need out there.

I agree. What risk would a prospective team have in selecting Perrin? If he does not stick on the 25 man roster, they just give him back to us. I have not seen teams do this before, but I see no reason why a team would not try it.

I think it's a less than 50/50 chance that Perrin would be Rule 5'ed, but it's not crazy to think that he would be. There are many names that get brought up for Rule 5 protection that I find pretty unbelievable (Phil Bickford would be a good example), but Perrin isn't one of those.

Before all the trades went down, my list of protects would have been Medeiros, Ortiz, Ponce, Supak, Torres-Costa, Gatewood and Stokes. Perrin would have been the 8th guy on the list and the last player I would have given serious consideration.

I would wager a guess that the fact that kc traded for perrin mean there was a decent chance they would have selected him.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived