Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Jordan Lyles

JDBrewCrew

Brewers Claim Jordan Lyles

By Connor Byrne | August 5, 2018 at 11:20am CDT

The Brewers have claimed right-hander Jordan Lyles off waivers from the Padres, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune tweets. San Diego has decided to let Lyles go, Acee adds.

More to come.

2018 Stats 2 4 4.29 24 8 0 71.1 62 1.26

27 Years old.

Kevin Acee

@sdutKevinAcee

7m7 minutes ago

Jordan Lyles will just beat the #Padres to Milwaukee. The #Brewers claimed the RHP off waivers and Padres letting him go. He just left Wrigley Field.

And Tyson Ross is going to pitch for the #Cardinals, who claimed him.

Padres looking toward giving prospects shots in rotation.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they thought they were claiming Tyson Ross and the person in the Brewers office that made the claim thought you spell Ross, L-Y-L-E-S....

Ughh... They should have been all over Tyson Ross and pass, pass, pass on Lyles... He's sucked every year except for this year and that is probably just the Petco effect...

Ross would have been a nicer freebie. Damn Cardinals. Suppose he's better than Albers and could start if needed. Just not sure it's better than bringing Woodruff or Houser up. We've had plenty of turds come through, but I'll never write a pitching acquisition off immediately with Johnson's overall track record.

Maybe they thought they were claiming Tyson Ross and the person in the Brewers office that made the claim thought you spell Ross, L-Y-L-E-S....

Ughh... They should have been all over Tyson Ross and pass, pass, pass on Lyles... He's sucked every year except for this year and that is probably just the Petco effect...

Couldn't have been all over Ross since he never got to us.

ZiPS RoS:

Lyles, 4.42 FIP

Ross, 4.73 FIP

Wilkerson, 4.89 FIP

post-injury Ross is not very good, and didn't fall to us anyways

Pretty sure they can only negotiate with 1 team.

I was googled again.... found a site that said they could negotiate with any of the claiming teams, but when looking at fangraphs and MLB it still goes in order of claim...

Lyles offers next to nothing beyond what we already have in the system so I don't understand the move...

Pretty sure they can only negotiate with 1 team.

I was googled again.... found a site that said they could negotiate with any of the claiming teams, but when looking at fangraphs and MLB it still goes in order of claim...

Lyles offers next to nothing beyond what we already have in the system so I don't understand the move...

That wouldn't even make any sense, there would be no point of a July trade deadline as you could just claim anyone you wanted in August anyway and try to work out a trade for him.

I'm skeptical of Lyle, but maybe the scouting staff thinks he's turned a corner this year. He was once a pretty good prospect.

I'll trust the judgment of the guys who somehow got a decent starter out of Wade Miley.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This has to be a "we need some immediate depth" move. I just have a feeling Albers will be DL'd (I really don't think they'll DFA him), but like others have said, there's plenty of in house options that will be better. They might be thinking Johnson can work with him and unlock something, but man, that's a stretch. It's late in the season and we need every single win we can get. It's kinda late to be tinkering. Just me thinking out loud maybe.

I'm skeptical of Lyle, but maybe the scouting staff thinks he's turned a corner this year. He was once a pretty good prospect.

I'll trust the judgment of the guys who somehow got a decent starter out of Wade Miley.

Do you think Wade Miley was never a good pitcher? Miley has had substantial success in the past so taking a chance on tweaking something to get him back to respectable isn't a stretch... Chances are much less that Lyles has anything they can "tweak" as he is pretty bad as a starter and he's been replacement level as a RP...

Do you think Wade Miley was never a good pitcher? Miley has had substantial success in the past so taking a chance on tweaking something to get him back to respectable isn't a stretch... Chances are much less that Lyles has anything they can "tweak" as he is pretty bad as a starter and he's been replacement level as a RP...

Lyles has had long stretches as a league average SP, and that's after being rushed to the majors in his early 20s and having to pitch in Houston and Colorado. That constitutes a "good" pitcher in my book, especially considering he's only going to be ask to be a long reliever or #5 starter who can eat some innings.

Looks like he's owed $500k for the rest of this year. $50k to claim him and $250k buyout of his option means this costs Brewers a minimum of $800,000. Thats not much in baseball world, but still lots to pay for a guy that they don't plan to use much. Likely he sticks on roster for the rest of the year.

Archived