Brewer Fanatic

NL WILD CARD GAME Schedule for Tuesday, October 2, 2018

MLB 2018 Postseason Schedule Released

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2018-postseason-schedule/c-288538936

Potential bad news: The NL Wild Card Game will be played Tuesday, October 2nd, one day before the AL Wild Card Game. If it takes Brewers until 2 days before that to clinch, our Bullpen may not be well rested.

Hopefully this is the Cubs concern, lol

I don’t see how this is too much of a concern.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

as long as there isn't a game 163 I really don't see the issue. There is a day off before the game and if you win at least one off after, I don't see the concern.

I'm really starting to think that will be the case either with the Brewers tied with the Cubs or the Wild Card. Kind of fear that Chacin or somebody else will have a game like the one against the Dodgers if they have back to back elimination type games.

I’m going to put this here cause I don’t feel the need to start a new thread...but:

If we find ourselves in the wild card game (hopefully not and I believe we can win our division) do you:

A) Ride your starter like any normal game

B) Make it a bullpen game and worry about the NLDS when you get there. By bullpen game I am for the most part referring to pulling your starter after 4 innings. Maybe he goes a bit longer, but you pull him at even the thought of a struggle.

Now I know many are going to complain because you won’t have many or most of your good bullpen arms for the first game of the NLDS, but I would rather do whatever it takes to get to the NLDS and if my bullpen ends up punting game one of the NLDS so be it. Our offense may score zero in the first game making our bullpen pointless anyway.

While we don’t have an ace in our rotation our bullpen might actually just be better suited for a one game playoff.

You still have at least one off day before the NLDS. Your 2 inning guys like Burnes/Hader might not be available, but everyone else would be fine for the start of the NLDS. You pull out all stops and worry about it later.

You still have at least one off day before the NLDS. Your 2 inning guys like Burnes/Hader might not be available, but everyone else would be fine for the start of the NLDS. You pull out all stops and worry about it later.

Exactly. Plus, I bet Hader would be available even if he pitched 2 inning 2 days before. I get the plan with him all year but this is the playoffs, and that plan isn't written in stone. The whole idea was to keep him fresh for the pennant chase and playoffs. Once they're there, I think they ease up on "Hader rules."

You guys all make great points.

However, if the NL WILD CARD GAME fell on the Wednesday after the season ends like it did last year, I think it would have been preferred given the extra day of rest, especially if there has to be a game 163.

My guess is that MLB alternates which league hosted the first wild card every other year and it happens to be the NL's turn to be first this year.

IDK, you could easily argue that since we don't have an ace it's better for us because it slightly reduces the likelihood that the other team's ace is available to start. For us, we get the one off day which makes every reliever available for that game, just like they would be with two days off.

Archived