Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-02: Brewers (Chacín) at Dodgers (Kershaw) 8:00 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 21-5]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Fred Lynn in 70's??

Fred Lynn yes, still considered (by me) to be the only Rookie to win the MVP. Ichiro was not really a rookie.

Bobby Doerr no, the 1950s winner was Jackie Jensen in 1958

I would have never ever guessed Jackie Jensen. Obscure.

There's no way Ted Williams didn't win an MVP in the 40's. I'm going to guess Jimmie Foxx in the 30's. Probably 38 when he clubbed 50 dingers, and hitting 50 was something only him and Babe Ruth did.

50's..... I'm not sure.

Yup it was Foxx in 38.

In the 1940s, Ted Williams accomplished each of these things in different seasons:

hit .400

Win triple crown

Win triple crown

Win MVP

Win MVP

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

There's no way Ted Williams didn't win an MVP in the 40's. I'm going to guess Jimmie Foxx in the 30's. Probably 38 when he clubbed 50 dingers, and hitting 50 was something only him and Babe Ruth did.

50's..... I'm not sure.

Yup it was Foxx in 38.

In the 1940s, Ted Williams accomplished each of these things in different seasons:

hit .400

Win triple crown

Win triple crown

Win MVP

Win MVP

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Came back in '46 after the war like he didn't miss a beat.

Jimmie Foxx put up some spectacularly gaudy numbers in the 30's. 4 seasons with an OPS over 1.150

Since its a blowout, who won the MVP for the Red Sox in the 80s, 70s and 60s? (the 1950s winner is impossible)

It’s not impossible for someone like me who was around in the 50’s.

Their MVP was a guy who came up with the Yankees about the same time as Mickey Mantle and was later traded to the Sox.

He was known at the time as the only guy to play in both the World Series and the Rose Bowl. He probably still holds that distinction.

ETA- As others have said while I was posting this, it was Jackie Jensen.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

50's..... I'm not sure.

Yup it was Foxx in 38.

hit .400

Win triple crown

Win triple crown

Win MVP

Win MVP

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

And did a second tour in the Korean War. A pretty incredible man.

Glad Albers is blowing it in a situation like this rather than in situation like last night, getting closer to getting DFA’d if the team is serious about getting to the playoffs. Last night I turned the game off when he came in cause I knew what was going to happen

Since its a blowout, who won the MVP for the Red Sox in the 80s, 70s and 60s? (the 1950s winner is impossible)

Their MVP was a guy who came up with the Yankees about the same time as Mickey Mantle and was later traded to the Sox.

He was known at the time as the only guy to play in both the World Series and the Rose Bowl. He probably still holds that distinction.

Well sorry for assuming, cool stat

Glad Albers is blowing it in a situation like this rather than in situation like last night, getting closer to getting DFA’d if the team is serious about getting to the playoffs. Last night I turned the game off when he came in cause I knew what was going to happen

Since he's signed for next year, best course is just to DL him until rosters expand. Then you get at least spring training to see if he gets back into shape (pitching-wise).

50's..... I'm not sure.

Yup it was Foxx in 38.

hit .400

Win triple crown

Win triple crown

Win MVP

Win MVP

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Not to nitpick, but I'ma nitpick: Williams was in the Marine Corps. They didn't fight Nazis.

50's..... I'm not sure.

Yup it was Foxx in 38.

hit .400

Win triple crown

Win triple crown

Win MVP

Win MVP

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Kill Nazis

Not to nitpick, but I'ma nitpick: Williams was in the Marine Corps. They didn't fight Nazis.

Yeah.... Williams fought in the pacific theater. But I mean.....either way. :)

Well sorry for assuming, cool stat

As I post this I am looking at a 1959 Topps baseball card of Jackie Jensen that describes on the back his 1958 MVP season.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If Schoop keeps it up, at least his arby numbers won't be too bad for next year.... Yeah!

Unfortunately he's already making $8.5 million this year so it isn't going to go down. That's another reason I didn't like the trade. Yeah, he has another year of control but that year of control is going to be expensive and I'm not sure if he's worth it.

Since he's signed for next year, best course is just to DL him until rosters expand. Then you get at least spring training to see if he gets back into shape (pitching-wise).

If they let him go any longer tonight they won’t be lying when they say he has a sore arm.

Also a sore neck from watching balls sail out of the park.

Archived