Brewer Fanatic

Shawn Kelley

He was DFA'd by the Nationals, so I assume he is in waivers waivers waiting to clear.

If he made it to the Brewers, I'd claim him. Sub-1.00 WHIP since June 1st, tops out in the mid-90s, 6:1 K:BB ratio. He gave up three homeruns early in the year before hitting the DL and has given up 4 in 26+ innings since coming back so there's the drawback. On an expiring contract.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Albers at this point. Nothing personal, but he's pitching real bad now.

The Crew has a couple of 40-man spots to spare, IIRC.

It isn't like they can send Albers down, though. If he's gone, he's gone for good, as they'd have to DFA him. That would seem like a waste, at least to me. Albers was pretty great up until recently.

Honestly, I think he would take Peralta's spot. The team won't really have a need for a fifth starter soon, and with the heavy pen usage, it would make sense to have another guy out there.

He was DFA'd by the Nationals, so I assume he is in waivers waivers waiting to clear.

If he made it to the Brewers, I'd claim him. Sub-1.00 WHIP since June 1st, tops out in the mid-90s, 6:1 K:BB ratio. He gave up three homeruns early in the year before hitting the DL and has given up 4 in 26+ innings since coming back so there's the drawback. On an expiring contract.

They got rid of Kintzler too. Must have some pretty good studs in the minors they were bringing up?

Edit: I guess this guy was showing up the manager when he had to pitcher in the 24 run ball game.

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2018/8/1/17638992/washington-nationals-dfa-shawn-kelley-you-are-either-in-or-you-are-in-the-way-mike-rizzo

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They got rid of Kintzler too. Must have some pretty good studs in the minors they were bringing up?

Thought I read yesterday that they were blaming Kintzler for leaking the clubhouse discord issues to the media.

He has a guaranteed contract for next year so don't know if they would do that. Now if Albers still isn't healthy then that is a different story and they should go after Kelley.

He gives up way too many flyballs at this point in his career, some of which inevitably leave the ballpark. I'd pass on Kelley though I do think we need to upgrade Albers, who is cooked.

Now that's just ridiculous. "I think I know what you are thinking when you do things and there's no way I can be wrong so I will punish you."

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

It isn't like they can send Albers down, though. If he's gone, he's gone for good, as they'd have to DFA him. That would seem like a waste, at least to me. Albers was pretty great up until recently.

Honestly, I think he would take Peralta's spot. The team won't really have a need for a fifth starter soon, and with the heavy pen usage, it would make sense to have another guy out there.

Albers was good for 2 months. Now he's bad. That's been his career pattern. Brewers can't afford to keep hoping good Albers up. Since June 1st, Albers has allowed 16 earned runs in 5 innings over 7 appearances, just one of which he managed to not allow a run.

Here's a summary of failures:

June 1st: He enters a game in the 6th inning with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd and the game tied 3-3. He promptly gives up a triple and a single, allowing both inherited runners to score and he's charged with one run. Brewers lose game 8-3.

June 3rd: He enters a 1-1 game with one out in the 6th and a runner on first. He promptly allows back to back HR before getting the final two outs. Brewers lose 6-1

June 8th: Manages not to be charged with a run but does allow an inherited runner to score on a sac fly in a 12-4 Brewer win.

June 11th: Comes into a game against Cubs in the 11th inning with score tied 2-2. Allows a tape measure HR to Anthony Rizzo, the first batter he faced, followed by 4 more runs on 3 hits, 2 walks and a hit batter. Brewers lose 7-2.

Then goes on DL

Jul 29th. Comes into game to start the 5th with the Brewers trailing 5-3. Faces 4 batters allowing a single, a walk and a triple scoring two runs. Leaves game with Brewers now down 8-3. Gets charged with 3rd run, when Jennings allows sac fly. Brewers lose game 8-5.

Aug 1st. Comes in for 10th inning of tie game and promptly allows a single and home run. Game over.

Aug 2nd: Brewers down 7-2 with two runners on in the 5th. Once again the first batter he faced takes him deep. After a walk, he gets out of the inning with 2 strikeouts, and starts the 6th with another, before allowing a line drive single and yet another HR. Leaves game with Brewers now trailing 12-2.

To summarize, he's allowed 6 HR in his last 5 innings. His failures directly or strongly contribute to 4 losses in those 7 appearances and he does not contribute in any way to a win.

How is he still on the roster?

Just curious if we were to claim him, who would you take off the roster for him?

Williams. Everyone has a bad outing or two, he's had several in a row now and has options. I've always been a big Williams supporter, but he just hasn't been good for a while now. They can throw Albers back on the 10 day DL too, bring up QTC.

Just curious if we were to claim him, who would you take off the roster for him?

Williams. Everyone has a bad outing or two, he's had several in a row now and has options. I've always been a big Williams supporter, but he just hasn't been good for a while now. They can throw Albers back on the 10 day DL too, bring up QTC.

I’d have no problem with this. Williams will be a contributor for us but he’s been shaky as of late and this would only allow us to gain even more BP depth.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Williams really isn't being used right, he's a straight up ROOGY at this point who is devastating against righties (.538 OPS against) and useless against lefties (.937 OPS against), yet he's freely allowed to face many lefties.

Now if you can't afford to limit him to that role, sure, I'd option him.

Albers needs some time. Yes I know he's been a train wreck lately but he was so good the first couple months and here on a small contract. Keep him away from high leverage situations for a couple weeks then when rosters expand you can basically keep him buried on the bench the rest of the year and then figure out if you're going to keep him around next year or not.

He has a guaranteed contract for next year so don't know if they would do that. Now if Albers still isn't healthy then that is a different story and they should go after Kelley.

If he cleared waivers and is a free agent, can't the team signing the player sign him at major league minimum and the Nats would still be responsible for the pro-rated portion of the contract minus league minimum?

Albers was good for 2 months. Now he's bad. That's been his career pattern. Brewers can't afford to keep hoping good Albers up. Since June 1st, Albers has allowed 16 earned runs in 5 innings over 7 appearances, just one of which he managed to not allow a run.

June 1st: He enters a game in the 6th inning with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd and the game tied 3-3. He promptly gives up a triple and a single, allowing both inherited runners to score and he's charged with one run. Brewers lose game 8-3.

June 3rd: He enters a 1-1 game with one out in the 6th and a runner on first. He promptly allows back to back HR before getting the final two outs. Brewers lose 6-1

June 8th: Manages not to be charged with a run but does allow an inherited runner to score on a sac fly in a 12-4 Brewer win.

June 11th: Comes into a game against Cubs in the 11th inning with score tied 2-2. Allows a tape measure HR to Anthony Rizzo, the first batter he faced, followed by 4 more runs on 3 hits, 2 walks and a hit batter. Brewers lose 7-2.

Then goes on DL

Jul 29th. Comes into game to start the 5th with the Brewers trailing 5-3. Faces 4 batters allowing a single, a walk and a triple scoring two runs. Leaves game with Brewers now down 8-3. Gets charged with 3rd run, when Jennings allows sac fly. Brewers lose game 8-5.

Aug 1st. Comes in for 10th inning of tie game and promptly allows a single and home run. Game over.

Aug 2nd: Brewers down 7-2 with two runners on in the 5th. Once again the first batter he faced takes him deep. After a walk, he gets out of the inning with 2 strikeouts, and starts the 6th with another, before allowing a line drive single and yet another HR. Leaves game with Brewers now trailing 12-2.

To summarize, he's allowed 6 HR in his last 5 innings. His failures directly or strongly contribute to 4 losses in those 7 appearances and he does not contribute in any way to a win.

Yeah, its crazy.

It's almost like the team also takes into account the 84 games Albers pitched over the last 2 seasons when he was beyond dominant with a sub 2 ERA and an incredible strand rate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Then goes on DL

Kind of in line with what Never Outhustled said...

It seems pretty obvious that he was good until the injury crept into the equation in early June, thus the DL stint. And it seems equally obvious that he didn't forget how to pitch, rather that he's still simply not fully right since he came off the DL, and if he doesn't start getting more typical results quickly, I'd guess we'll hear about the injury again and he'll be back on the DL.

Archived