Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun and August Waivers

xisxisxis
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was just in north central wisconsin. I saw a TON of brewer gear.

Probably a lot different than South Central Los Angeles.... where the preferred gear is the St.Louis Cardinals...

Why? I learnt from my 2+ months of jury duty on a gang murder trial in LA that many of the gangs in LA have a "stone" included in their names like the "Pea stones" or "bitty stones" and that Stoner Love is also a big part of their lingo, making the Cardinals the obvious choice. So, if you are in LA and get lost and notice a lot of St. Louis Cardinal gear, get your butt the heck out of there....

There used to be a gang in Boston I think that had all Packer gear. GB = gang banger.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only question is would the Dodgers claim him. They are the only team he would go to while the Brewers are in a pennant race of their own. There could be real drama in August if we here that happening.....

If he reads the writing on the wall, you'd think he'd be more open to finishing his career for an AL team instead of riding the pine for the Crew. I don't know what team would want him though. Seattle has done some weird things in the past. Indians have a short-term need.

Are the Brewers picking up 85% of the remaining contract??

If no, then Cleveland has no interest making a waiver claim on Braun...

I'd be really upset if the Brewers let Braun walk. I get not many people agree with this mentality, but IMO winning a World Series with Braun would make it that much more special. He's the only person left from the original group of young studs and he's been here through the good years and the bad and signed a team-friendly deal, all while saying he wants to finish his career in Milwaukee. Again, I get a lot of you are of the 'feelings don't matter, just results' mindset. That's fine, I just want to see Braun finish as a Brewers and win a title here. He deserves it. That's just me though.

Furthermore, Braun's line-drive percentage is at an all-time high. He's been a lot better than the numbers indicate.

I agree. I wouldn't want the Brewers to trade/dfa him. The money is already spent. Ride him out until the contract ends. I like Braun and want him add to the highlight reel of important home runs in september/october.

Just don't count on him being anything more than a bench/platoon bat going forward.

Ryan Braun is still immensely popular in WI for whatever reason. My kids adore him and he is by far their favorite player even when I try to get them on somebody else. When I see their friends or notice kids in the gift shop, Braun is still a dominant figure for them.

Nobody is taking him anyway. And by modern pro sports standards, the situation isn't really that bad because we don't really have to worry about retaining anybody until Braun's out. 2018 is the worst year in the contract, after next year it really falls off.

If (I don't expect this but we can hope) he returns to an .800 OPS next season or the year after, $15mm isn't really that bad for a veteran of that lore and stature. This is one we have to bite the bullet on and just manage him in a way that maybe, hopefully, gives us something.

FWIW, he's still somebody I trust at the plate in September to work a count in a big situation and not wet his pants.

Nobody is going to claim him and Braun would block it any way so there really isn't any chance he is gone anytime soon. They should have traded him to the Dodgers a couple of years ago but nothing they can do about the past so doesn't really matter. Still look forward to watching Braun during the stretch run in September as some guys can just deliver in big moments and think he is one of them.

We could have had Kemp AND not have Braun’s contract.

So much facepalm.

Was it ever confirmed that was even on the table? All I remember was one idiot LA reporter talking about that.

Hindsight is 20/20. Kemp was very expensive garbage before his renaissance this year.

There's no proof any trade to the Dodgers was on the verge of getting done. Yes, I'm sure they were exploring it but we have no idea if the Dodgers would have ever actually pulled the trigger on any deal.

Archived