Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Dodgers (Hill) 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-4 in 10 innings -- Jonathan Schoop Brewers Debut]

Eye Black

You’re right. You sold me. I’ll now post “okay Knebel, don’t blow this” every time he pitches. :rolleyes Night, night.

Seriously, what crawled up your ass and died? Knebel has been wildly inconsistent (and that is being exceedingly kind) for a while. I'm not rooting against him. But I'm justifiably nervous when he takes the mound.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You’re right. You sold me. I’ll now post “okay Knebel, don’t blow this” every time he pitches. :rolleyes Night, night.

Seriously, what crawled up your ass and died? Knebel has been wildly inconsistent (and that is being exceedingly kind) for a while. I'm not rooting against him. But I'm justifiably nervous when he takes the mound.

Spinning your tires guy. I really don’t care that you’re nervous about him pitching nor was my comment at you individually but that’s how you’re taking it. I think how people act when he takes the mound is a bit ridiculous and because of how great our pen has been this, we have crazy expectations for him and everyone out there. He’s a good pitcher with great stuff who is entering his prime. I’ll gladly hand the ball to that guy and take my chances. But this is it for me with you on this because even this has gotten silly. Sorry you took offense to Knebel hater, have a good night.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Spinning your tires guy. I really don’t care that you’re nervous about him pitching nor was my comment at you individually but that’s how you’re taking it. I think how people act when he takes the mound is a bit ridiculous and because of how great our pen has been this, we have crazy expectations for him and everyone out there. He’s a good pitcher with great stuff who is entering his prime. I’ll gladly hand the ball to that guy and take my chances. But this is it for me with you on this because even this has gotten silly. Sorry you took offense to Knebel hater, have a good night.

I'm not spinning my tires at all. Your position is untenable, and when people challenge it, you got snitty.

How the rest of the pen has performed, and how Knebel has performed (of late) are two completely separate discussions.

Does Knebel have great stuff? Yes.

Is he wildly inconsistent at times? Absolutely.

Our trepidation is completely warranted. If you accidentally spill a pot of boiling water on your hand, it's a natural response for your hand to shake the next time you go to boil water. Knebel has lost one game in july, blown another, and even in games when he's converted the save, he's struggled. His command has been off.

I hope he rights the ship. But calling out people who are anxious in a tied game with him on the mound is going too far. If you really "don't care that I'm nervous", don't say anything.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I honestly thought starting Perez really backfired on Counsell in the 8th. Having to pinch hit Shaw against a LHP is just not something you want to have happen, ever. Unfortunately Kratz is a double play waiting to happen, and Arcia is, well, Arcia.

But Perez did miss a play or two at SS that I think Arcia makes, and in reference to the 8th, if Arcia starts at SS like usual, Perez is the PH there, and while that's not ideal, it would have been better against a lefty than what we had.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I honestly thought starting Perez really backfired on Counsell in the 8th. Having to pinch hit Shaw against a LHP is just not something you want to have happen, ever. Unfortunately Kratz is a double play waiting to happen, and Arcia is, well, Arcia.

But Perez did miss a play or two at SS that I think Arcia makes, and in reference to the 8th, if Arcia starts at SS like usual, Perez is the PH there, and while that's not ideal, it would have been better against a lefty than what we had.

I don't care how poorly Arcia is hitting, batting Shaw against a tough lefty in that situation was an odd move.

The problem wasn't starting Perez. You mentioned it. It's "Arcia being Arcia". Arcia needs to be his 2017 version or go back to Colorado Springs. Counsell apparently isn't convinced he's back, so why is he here? Saladino would have been used to hit there, but he wasn't available.

Calling people who stay up into the early morning hours to root for the team “haters” because they acknowledge Corey Knebel has had some inconsistent outings seems illogical. There are amicable ways to discuss player performance in this forum without grouping other’s viewpoints and observations into such an outlandish category. If you disagree with other’s observations of a player then a good rule of thumb is to focus on sharing your own contrary opinion with supporting facts, while keeping your comments void of insulting hyperbole.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sucked to lose last night's game, but a big part of me thinks this series may just be a preview of what we may see in October. Electric playoff atmosphere, and the Brewers are proving that they are not outclassed whatsoever by the Dodgers, who are nearly everyone's pick to go back to the World Series. I think a Dodgers/Brewers NLCS would be one heck of a series.

Man that was a pretty intense game. The first one I've gotten to see in very long time on TV (demoing sling). Of course, I pick the one that goes to extras in the wee hours of night and they lose. Missed alot of opportunities, as did the Dodgers I guess.

Get back at em today.

Man, Albers was close to dominant before the injury. Need that guy back.

Albers has had really bad stretches in his career. This is nothing new. Right now he can't be used in high leverage situations.

Except that the Brewers, like everyone else, only have a limited number of pitchers that are ideal in high leverage situations, and when they have been used or are unavailable you have to go to the back end of the bullpen and hope for the best. I think everyone would put Albers behind Hader, Jeffress, Soria, and Knebel in the bullpen pecking order, and there are a lot of people who don’t trust Knebel in high leverage situations either. Burnes, Williams, Jennings, and Albers (or whoever is in the back end of the bullpen) are going to have to deliver in some high leverage situations when the bullpen is asked to cover 4-5 innings a game several times a week, especially when games go into extra innings and the team is scuffling to score runs. The Brewers don’t get that many leads of 4 runs or more to give the bullpen the luxury of giving up runs.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Knebel looked amazing last night, like he did during his awesome first half last year. problem is he just hasn't looked like that very often this year. For his stuff being electric, is it really? he has a great FB, no doubt. other than all he has is a curveball that he only sometimes can control to the point most teams just don't swing at it. If he consistently gets his curveball back he'll be dominant again, until that happens though how can you not be a bit nervous with him. Tonight was what we know he can do, hope he rounds into form for the rest of the year and dominates. And yes i know he'll still give up runs and blow a game here or there, it happens. But as long as it's not due to the curve just being nowhere near the plate then I don't view it as a flag of any kind. sometimes MLB hitters hit fastballs, nothing you can do about it.

For example, the Hader mia game where they just blasted back to back fastballs, it happens. or I remember a Jeffress one where first batter got a hit and next guy first pitch HR a fastball, it happens. What's frustrating is when guys go out there and half their appearances they don't know where the ball is going.

I don't care how poorly Arcia is hitting, batting Shaw against a tough lefty in that situation was an odd move.

It's all situational. In this case, red hot Cain was on deck. So what is the ONE thing you can't have? A DP. Arcia may have spun out his shoes and K'd on 3 pitches, but now Cain is up with the bases loaded. (And Arcia has actually come up with some big RBI late in games this year.)

I mean, PH Arcia isn't like a no-brainer decision or anything but it's what I would have done. If you can't trust him enough to start him or PH vs LHP then just send him down.

Shaw and Thames really need to figure out LHP during the offseason. Its awful, especially Shaw who is like .100.

I was surprised shaw was inserted. can someone tell me Counsells strategy?

Archived