Brewer Fanatic

Michael Trout - What would you give up?

Just curious what some folks value in prospects. What would you give up to acquire Michael Trout? Never mind his salary or the fact that he's not available. Just in pure talent, if the Angels were to have been selling in July of 2018? (they are not).

What would I give up, or what it would realistically take? The ask probably starts with Hiura, Burnes and Ray, and you'd probably have to add Hader too.

Not even close.

We'd have to empty the farm and probably give up some guys off the roster as well.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Trout currently has a 7.9 WAR, 30 HR's, a .461 OBP. Lord knows how many HR's he'd hit in Miller Park. Suffice it to say "a lot". He'd be under contract in 2019 & 2020 too, before becoming a free agent after the 2020 season.

I'd think the Angels would insist on Yelich as part of the package, and Hader.

If I could get Trout without trading any of our current MLB players I wouldn't care which prospects we give up. Burnes, Hiura, Ray, even Peralta.... Bye bye

I would also trade Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Burnes for Trout.

He is that good.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

He is that good but he's gone after two years. There is literally no way we can afford his next contract. Sure would be cool while it lasted but if you don't win the WS in those two years you're done for the next 6 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sad he's stuck on a meh team. He is probably underrated believe it or not. Might be the best player ever. Could certainly make an argument.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sad he's stuck on a meh team. He is probably underrated believe it or not. Might be the best player ever. Could certainly make an argument.

Yep. Even while he's regarded as the best in baseball, I don't think we really hear enough about him. He's something ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how he ages. I hope it's not a fall off the cliff type of thing for him because we are in for something special if he can keep his body together.

He's also a great example that one player can't make a team. Honestly, if I'm the Angels I think about trading him in the off season.

What would it take? Aguilar, Hader, Burnes, Arcia and Hiura.

Trout currently has a 7.9 WAR, 30 HR's, a .461 OBP. Lord knows how many HR's he'd hit in Miller Park. Suffice it to say "a lot". He'd be under contract in 2019 & 2020 too, before becoming a free agent after the 2020 season.

I'd think the Angels would insist on Yelich as part of the package, and Hader.

If I could get Trout without trading any of our current MLB players I wouldn't care which prospects we give up. Burnes, Hiura, Ray, even Peralta.... Bye bye

I would also trade Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Burnes for Trout.

He is that good.

I think you're probably right. Yelich and Hader + 1 or 2 of the best prospects.

Yep. Even while he's regarded as the best in baseball, I don't think we really hear enough about him. He's something ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how he ages. I hope it's not a fall off the cliff type of thing for him because we are in for something special if he can keep his body together.

This is almost the only proof you need of the huge east coast media bias. Trout has run circles around every other player including the much heralded, but far inferior Bryce Harper, but we are constantly hearing about Judge, Harper, and Stanton, while the greatest player ever is an afterthought... Yes, barring an injury, when Trout hangs them up he will be universally regarded as the greatest baseball player ever to have played the game... enjoy him now...

First step in trading for Trout is taking on Pujols albatross of a contract. If the Angels become confident that Trout want to go to Philadelphia or somewhere else when his contract end I think then I think them using Trout to shed Pujols contract makes sense. So lets just say that it's this offseason that they do it, that means the first step to acquiring Trout for 2 seasons would be taking on about $85 million in dead money.

After taking on that money then I think you are going to still have to trade them a package on par with the Yelich deal, perhaps with Major League talent to appease the fan base.

Trout and Pujols

for

Travis Shaw, Josh Hader, Keston Hiura, Corey Ray

Thats my thoughts on what a reasonable deal to entice the Angels to trade Trout would be. This would allow the Angels to add a bunch of youth and free up enough money that they could give out $400 million deals to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Then in 3 years they can start worrying about how to get rid of those overpriced deals.

I am still sick that MLB thought losing texiera was worth the higher pick than losing CC and costing us drafting Trout.

The one thing that sucks even more is that Trout wasn't even going to be our pick if we were there or if he would've dropped.

I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.

I really hope this should have been in blue.

I didn’t think it would even need to be. I call it my Skip Bayless post on Trout.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I didn’t think it would even need to be. I call it my Skip Bayless post on Trout.

Well done sir, that was the perfect Skip Bayless and precisely something he would say.

This is almost the only proof you need of the huge east coast media bias. Trout has run circles around every other player including the much heralded, but far inferior Bryce Harper, but we are constantly hearing about Judge, Harper, and Stanton, while the greatest player ever is an afterthought... Yes, barring an injury, when Trout hangs them up he will be universally regarded as the greatest baseball player ever to have played the game... enjoy him now...

Most of it is that Trout has decided he doesn't want the notoriety. Rob Manfred basically called him out on it during the All Star game and Trout told him to mind his own business.

Baseball is not about superstars except maybe when it comes to having aces in the playoffs. Look how the Mariners won 116 games after losing Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, and Alex Rodriguez in the span of a few years. Having elite players try to compensate for bad players is not as good as having all good players.

That said, of course I would give up a lot if it didn't create too many gaping holes in the current roster. But Cain and Yelich are already 2 of the best outfielders in the entire National League, and the Brewers have a strong chance at having the best cumulative record in the NL over the next 5 years... so why mortgage what it would take to get Trout?

Baseball is not about superstars except maybe when it comes to having aces in the playoffs. Look how the Mariners won 116 games after losing Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, and Alex Rodriguez in the span of a few years. Having elite players try to compensate for bad players is not as good as having all good players.

That said, of course I would give up a lot if it didn't create too many gaping holes in the current roster. But Cain and Yelich are already 2 of the best outfielders in the entire National League, and the Brewers have a strong chance at having the best cumulative record in the NL over the next 5 years... so why mortgage what it would take to get Trout?

The bold part. Due to this, my offer wouldn't be much more than Hiura, Burnes, Hader and Turang. While I would love Trout here, the reality is that the Brewers depth is what is turning them into a winning organization. Shaw gets hurt...replaced with Moustakas. Aguilar gets hurt...replace with Thames. Braun gets hurt...replace with Santana. Nelson and Davies get hurt...replace with Peralta and Guerra.

I just love what Stearns has done. I have full faith he will get that ace when the price is right as well.

Not shocking, I don't think this trade will ever happen because it would take the perfect storm of a team that has 5 pieces to give up for Trout and the Angels being ready to sell him off. Even if we gave up a haul, in theory, the haul almost never equals what Trout gives. That said, as Trout gets closer to free agency, it becomes more of a possibility.

The Angels are probably best suited doing what they have the past several years. "We messed up on the Pujols/pitching plan and emptied our farm system too early, but we'll just have to try to patch it up and see what happens with Trout/Simmons being here for 2 more years."

I think they actually did a decent job this year and just got screwed by the division they're in. That's not to say that they are built to be a dominant team, but they're playing a lot of games against 3 of the best teams in baseball.

Their record comes down to this: They are 1-11 against NYY/Boston and about .500 against Oakland/Houston/Seattle.

If they instead had just hung in there against NYY/Boston and had 1-2 more whipping posts in their division instead of good teams, they'd probably be 10+ games over right now.

Again, the conversation I was looking for is not whether trading for Trout would be a good or bad idea, etc. I simply want to know what prospect(s) or current MLB assets it would likely take to complete a fair deal.

For them to handle bad pub of doing this, I'd assume Yelich would have to be in plus our top prospects. Something like Yelich, Huira, Burnes, Ray, Zach Brown. IDK, it would have to be an absolute truckload for ANA to take it, so essentially it wouldn't really be fair for MKE.

Archived