Brewer Fanatic

Who gets the boot when Schoop shows up?

TURBO

Saladino can be optioned. He makes the most sense.

Arcia's defense at SS is too valuable and he is still likely the primary starter at ss for the rest of the season.

Perez has slightly more versatility and can't be optioned.

I don't see any obvious options from the pitching staff and think they'll need all of the relievers at least until they get to this off day next week.

Saladino isn't even playing, so it's got to be him. He only has 1 AB this week.

That's likely, but with a lot of off days in August, they could get by with one less arm too which would mean Williams getting optioned.

I don’t think they can get by well with one less arm. They need a lot of relievers to cover the frequent short starts and to have coverage for possible extra inning games.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I've seen a few posters mention Aguilar could use some time in Colorado but he has been out of options for two years.

True, but if he really embraces the fact it could help him, he could accept the assignment. Again, not very likely at all this will happen.

Cmon, the guy was in the ASG two weeks ago and likely would've been #2 MVP for the NL at the time of ASG. He's not going down and they would never even broach the subject of it. If there's something up with him a 10 DL could happen to clean it up, but not AAA

True, but if he really embraces the fact it could help him, he could accept the assignment. Again, not very likely at all this will happen.

He needs to be up with the brewers so that Darnell "Miracle Man" Coles can do his magic with him like he did with Villar, Santana, and Arcia....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There is zero chance Aguilar gets sent down even if he had options left.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Aguilar isn’t going anywhere and shouldn’t. He should start coming off the bench more it Saladino will likely be gone. Shouldn’t need him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If anything with the new additions there should be less reliance on Aguilar. Even if he falls off a cliff we still have Braun that can be 1B vs lefties and Thames vs. righties. If aguilar just stops producing entirely he just goes back to being a pretty darn good power bat off of the bench.

Aguilar to AAA, are you out of your mind?

Check your condescending tone at the door.

No need to freak out people, I'm not saying send him down long term. I don't know why the immediate reaction is to act as thought AAA is punishment or something. He has really been struggling since a week before the ASG, it's not like he's had one bad week or something. A week in AA is just what the doctor ordered sometimes, happens all the time- even with players who have no options remaining.

I rarely accept the premise something can NEVER happen, and I don't know how more clear I can be by saying I highly doubt they would go that route. But no, it's not impossible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No need to freak out people, I'm not saying send him down long term. I don't know why the immediate reaction is to act as thought AAA is punishment or something. He has really been struggling since a week before the ASG, it's not like he's had one bad week or something. A week in AA is just what the doctor ordered sometimes, happens all the time- even with players who have no options remaining.

I rarely accept the premise something can NEVER happen, and I don't know how more clear I can be by saying I highly doubt they would go that route. But no, it's not impossible.

Really, it is pretty much impossible. Aguilar is out of options. It's the whole reason the Brewers were able to get him from the Indians in the first place.

It is impossible because he has no options, and if you tried outrighting him he'd be claimed immediately.

It's baseball, guys go through bad stretches. You don't send them down every time it happens. Sure, he wasn't going to keep hitting 320 with 4 HRs a week but that doesn't mean he all of a sudden just sucks. Folks overreact to short stretches way too much in baseball.

He needs to be up with the brewers so that Darnell "Miracle Man" Coles can do his magic with him like he did with Villar, Santana, and Arcia....

I remember 12 years ago when most Brewer "fans" used to think like this. I'm glad we've come a long way since then.

Archived