Brewer Fanatic

Now thoughts on the waiver trade deadline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a few years ago, the waiver wire kind of came back to bite the White Sox with Alex Rios - oftentimes teams with waiver priority based on prior year's record put out claims on players to try and block some of their competition from potentially acquiring them. However, the team placing a player on waivers could simply give the team putting in the claim the player and remaining contract to just get out from under the $.

The White Sox put a claim on Rios in effort to prevent him clearing waivers and being dealt to the Tigers back in 2009, IIRC - Toronto simply gave the White Sox Rios without any prospects/compensation in return for getting out from ~$60 Million in remaining salary.

lol at Max Scherzer clearing waivers. He'd be claimed by at least half the teams in the league.

Some may, but his contract was built to spike massively in AAV for the final 3 seasons (35+ million/year) with money getting deferred from that for many years after it.

He's pretty much on a 3 year, $110 million deal and as it is currently written, a lot of the money is deferred.

lol at Max Scherzer clearing waivers. He'd be claimed by at least half the teams in the league.

Some may, but his contract was built to spike massively in AAV for the final 3 seasons (35+ million/year) with money getting deferred from that for many years after it.

He's pretty much on a 3 year, $110 million deal and as it is currently written, a lot of the money is deferred.

That's a lot of money. The Brewers for example won't claim him. Many teams actually probably won't considering the luxury tax cap. I would think at least one team will though, and if so it might not be the worst idea to let him walk if they struggle over the next few weeks.

I can't see dealing for Scherzer if he does clear, but the Brewers in my mind would be on the shorter list of teams that could actually risk putting a claim in. Though with holding onto Harper it does not seem like the Nats are inclined to just let him go, but that deal does have a lot of money going towards a pitcher in who'll be aged 35-37.

Stearns is awesome are my thoughts on the trade deadline. Factor in what happened in the off season and I'm over the moon overjoyed with Stearns.

Stearns isn't Ted Thompson where he has a one track mind in how to build a team. Stearns isn't Doug Melvin (with Mark A in his ear) willing to trade the farm at the first sign of being competitive.

Stearns is looking for value. He's not going to overpay, he'll simply lay back and wait and let the market develop and will strike when a value deal presents itself. Now hopefully in a season or two when Brewers are little bit better he's more willing to go a bit bolder, but I don't see any reason not to have faith in Stearns.

Yep. And he's the best pitcher in baseball. Top 3 anyway. Every large market team claims him and some middle market teams too I would think. No doubt in my mind that the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Angels claim him. I think the Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Mariners would all be likely. Diamondbacks, Braves, Indians could.

Half may be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As several people have noted, the club will monitor some of the overpriced pitchers on the market, such as Jordan Zimmerman, and once they have cleared waivers, look to make moves as needed.

A lot will depend on injuries, as well as the progress of Peralta, plus the status of Davies. Freddy has been pretty erratic, and if he continues to struggle with his command, they might decide to bring someone in to take his spot. But some of that could be mitigated if Davies comes back. But I'm not counting on the latter at this point.

Yep. And he's the best pitcher in baseball. Top 3 anyway. Every large market team claims him and some middle market teams too I would think. No doubt in my mind that the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Angels claim him. I think the Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Mariners would all be likely. Diamondbacks, Braves, Indians could.

Half may be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

A lot of those teams don't want to go over the luxury tax mark this year. Maybe they'd make an exception for this, but teams like the Giants might pass because they're going to get taxed 40% on his already huge contract for at least a year.

After seeing some positive starts from Zimmermann lately I thought he would be a great fit for the Brewers. I googled the idea and ran across an article from Bless You Boys and changed my mind.

Cliff Notes:

Zimmermann is owed approximately $60 million over the course of the next 2 and 1/3 years. He has a chronic neck issue that requires injections and was on the DL this year with a shoulder issue. And his velocity has decreased this year. Hard Pass.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2018/7/6/17543414/mlb-trade-rumors-jordan-zimmermann-detroit-tigers-nope-not-happening

If Zimmerman wasn’t from Wisconsin would he even be brought up? He is overpaid and not good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the most likely starter to wind up with the Brewers in August is James Shields. Has 21 million dollar salary in 2018, 11 million of which was paid by San Diego. So there is probably 4 million left on his contract and a 2 million dollar buy out of his 2019 club option.

Solid WHIP of 1.292, 2:1 walk to strike out ratio, 7 K/9. His FIP is similar to Matt Harvey's at 4.68. Most importantly Shields is averaging 6 innings per start. He's certainly not a front of the rotation arm, but an excellent depth piece keeping the team in the game and eat innings, and keeping the young arms and bullpen rested, and those are very valuable commodities down the stretch. Not to mention, the White Sox and Brewers have completed a number of deals together in the recent past.

For some reason I thought Shields was a good post season pitcher. I was wrong.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

positive stats from Zimmerman lately?

I beg to differ.

He's been horrible lately.

I said SOME positive starts, not stats. He did have a run of solid starts a couple of weeks ago, around the time time the article was written. Not sure why you are looking to differ, we seem to making the same point that the Brewers should stay away from Zimmermann.

I think the most likely starter to wind up with the Brewers in August is James Shields. Has 21 million dollar salary in 2018, 11 million of which was paid by San Diego. So there is probably 4 million left on his contract and a 2 million dollar buy out of his 2019 club option.

Solid WHIP of 1.292, 2:1 walk to strike out ratio, 7 K/9. His FIP is similar to Matt Harvey's at 4.68. Most importantly Shields is averaging 6 innings per start. He's certainly not a front of the rotation arm, but an excellent depth piece keeping the team in the game and eat innings, and keeping the young arms and bullpen rested, and those are very valuable commodities down the stretch. Not to mention, the White Sox and Brewers have completed a number of deals together in the recent past.

I admit I haven't done any recent looking into Shields, but I have very little interest in adding a 4.68 FIP

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I admit I haven't done any recent looking into Shields, but I have very little interest in adding a 4.68 FIP

For what is worth: Jon Lester FIP 4.66, Jose Quintana FIP 4.69, Robbie Ray 4.72, Julio Tehran 5.33. Pitchers can still succeed with a FIP at that level. Shields primarily is protection for the bullpen when the other starters leave after 4 2/3.

Thanks for the help guys, that's about what I thought. So I guess I don't see the downside in working out a deal with Wheeler, Gonzalez, or anyone else? If someone else claims them, the seller can just pull them back.

Once a guy is claimed by another team in front of us waiver wire wise, we can't get him... These guys listed will be claimed imo.

If no one does and we claim him, we won't get one of the guys listed for just salary...

If we work towards a trade, we will need to give up something of worth or a trade simply won't get done.

How many players can a team claim? One per day? One per week?

I didn’t think there was a limit. Only the natural limit of you are going to claim a bunch of guys cause if you get them you are going to be shipping out lots of players.

Here's how it works. Teams place players on waiver wire. If nobody claims him, he'll have cleared waivers and can be traded to any other team.

For guys getting claimed, the priority of the claims is based on the reverse order of the standings. Once claimed, there's a 48 period for the two teams to work out a deal. If no deal can be worked out in most cases the team will withdraw him from waivers. There other option is to simply let the player go for the waiver price to the claiming team.

Once a player has been withdrawn once from waivers, he cannot be put through revocable waivers again this season.

This is pretty much my understanding.

The thing that people seem to forget every year is that the order of the waiver claims goes by league.

If an NL players is put on waivers, the NL teams have first dibs from worst record to best. Then the AL teams from worst to first. So if an NL player goes on waivers the Brewers would have priority over the Orioles despite a 35 game difference or whatever it is.

Archived