Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaw May play some 1st if Jesus comes down to earth more and more...

Or if Thames gets hurt Shaw/Moose can get a few games at 1B. Basic thing I think we can all get behind is that we should see very little of the Perez, Sogard, villar, and Orfs from here on out.

Generally speaking, I think we gave up more than I expected. But he does have another year of control so I kinda get it. Hope he stays hot

Good point regarding Thames. He gets hurt a lot.

I...I have to admit that I'm really kind of confused right now. I don't get giving up the three guys we did for a .720 OPS second baseman we'll have for a year and a half. This almost felt like we made a deadline move just to make one.
I think we gave a better package for Schoop than what the Braves gave for Gausman. That's where I don't understand the logic...

I think the logic is that they didn’t like Gausman that much. I mean, the enthusiasm around here for Gausman was based on what? Former high draft pick, Wade Milley expletives, coaching magic, and wish-casting for the next Arrieta? It isn’t a very strong argument in the end, it seems to me.

I'm glad the deadline passed and all of Hiura, Burnes, Peralta, and Ray are still here. Medeiros is probably the one I'll miss the most.

Absolutely, DS is sticking to his plan. It is a balancing act that he is charged to perform: Build the roster to win now and keep the nucleus of prospects that are key for years to come.

We will see how he performs and how we use him. He has been really really REALLY good the last month. I can’t really hate or love this until we see how he is utilized and performs. This could end up being. Aphenominal trade.

It’s interesting that 2 weeks ago people were up in arms about making moves. Stearns makes moves, doesn’t give up any of our top 5 prospects, and people hate them. I don’t understand it.[/quote

Those who are upset, likely are because of the fact that no pitcher was acquired today.

The good thing about being on the west coast is a couple more hours for him to arrive before game time. Any word if he will make it before the game?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Those who are upset, likely are because of the fact that no pitcher was acquired today.

I was *really* hoping that we acquired a starting pitcher today, but I have to believe the price tag was simply too high. This doesn't preclude some kind of move in August at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't know how it's gonna work but I know this lineup should be a ***** for opposing pitchers no matter who is on the mound

Except one of Shaw, Schoop, and Moose will be on the bench every day to start.

This is such a curious move.

Isn't that good to have those guys available on the bench?

The good thing about being on the west coast is a couple more hours for him to arrive before game time. Any word if he will make it before the game?

He walked into the Orioles clubhouse having zero idea he was traded. That was at 4pm ET...so I really doubt it. That would be a quick turnaround.

Brewers are 28th in GB rate. Infielders don't get many chances.

We all have seen the many really good plays Arcia makes at shortstop, plays Schoop wouldn't be as skilled at if playing shortstop.

To think having Shaw at secondbase and Schoop at shortstop wouldn't be a terrible infield defensive situation is just being unrealistic, even though the offense would be better.

Yes but it's possible Schoop starts at SS then late inning he moves to 2B or out of the game and Arcia plays SS.

Runs allowed early in the game because of bad defense count the same as runs allowed later in the game.

He walked into the Orioles clubhouse having zero idea he was traded. That was at 4pm ET...so I really doubt it. That would be a quick turnaround.

Could probably pull it off if the Orioles were in Anaheim, but being in New York, I'm gonna count on not having Schoop tonight.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Runs allowed early in the game because of bad defense count the same as runs allowed later in the game.

Runs not scored early in the game still count as zero runs. Obviously it's a trade off - better offense for worse defense. You hope the better offense offsets the worse defense by a significant amount.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

After seeing what the Braves paid for Gausman I'm surprised that they couldn't best that offer. From what I can see the Braves gave up their #15 prospect and some filler. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the Brewers didn't like him as much, but it seems like the price wasn't prohibitive. Gausman has the stuff that could have been very valuable.

The obvious hope is to score early with the better offense get the lead to the 6 TH inning.....turn it over to the pen and double switch out to improve the defense.

If the strength of your team is the bullpen.....you need the lead to take advantage of it.

Having quality players on the bench to pinch hit and sub in late is going to be key.

After seeing what the Braves paid for Gausman I'm surprised that they couldn't best that offer. From what I can see the Braves gave up their #15 prospect and some filler. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the Brewers didn't like him as much, but it seems like the price wasn't prohibitive. Gausman has the stuff that could have been very valuable.

Braves are insanely deep in the minors. Their #15 prospect would probably be the Cubs #1 and is probably similar to our #9 or so.

I don't know how it's gonna work but I know this lineup should be a ***** for opposing pitchers no matter who is on the mound

Except one of Shaw, Schoop, and Moose will be on the bench every day to start.

This is such a curious move.

Isn't that good to have those guys available on the bench?

No, it would be better to have on at C...or SS assuming Schoop is not going to be at SS often. It’s an expensive price to pay for these guys when they find themselves on the bench so much.

Runs not scored early in the game still count as zero runs. Obviously it's a trade off - better offense for worse defense. You hope the better offense offsets the worse defense by a significant amount.

The Brewers upper tier defense for much of this year is one reason why our no name starting staff has been as productive as it's been.

I'm a big fan of the job Stearns has done so far in his tenure and obviously he and his staff have thought about all of this stuff before making these moves, i just am leery of potentially sacrificing defense so much to get more offense given the starting pitching is still a big question mark to me.

We will see how he performs and how we use him. He has been really really REALLY good the last month. I can’t really hate or love this until we see how he is utilized and performs. This could end up being. Aphenominal trade.

^ This.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I really don't like this move. The only way it makes some sense is if Schoop can play SS at a high level. I wouldn't be happy with a Machado situation, he doesn't hit like Machado where you can justify it. Moustakas is a plus defender at 3b but Shaw will likely be a below average 2b at best and Schoop is a question mark. If Arcia still gets a ton of playing time, I'll find this trade incredibly dumb as we'll have 2 good players on the bench every day and 2 bad hitters in the lineup everyday.

Our pitching has relied heavily on good defense to keep runs off the board, it seems like we are throwing that strategy to the wind to a large degree in the name of offense. I'm hopefully, but also very skeptical.

I am very happy that we kept Ray, Hiura, Burnes and Peralta. I'd add Zack Brown and Tristen Lutz too. I am aligned with how Stearns is approaching value. These guys are going to inject juice into the roster over time. Love it.

I am bummed about losing Jean Carmona but you have to give up something.

I like the now and the future.

Archived