Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turang would have taken Carmona's spot in the SS prospect pecking order as early as next season - a guy who was in discussion to go top-top in this year's draft about 1 year earlier has a high enough ceiling, IMO.

The draft pick compensation for Schoop definitely adds some value, but it may also add some value should they decide to shop him this offseason if they truly deem Hiura as ready for MLB come opening day 2019.

I'm very OK with trading Ortiz, pitchers with that much health trouble do not interest me as valuable assets to hold onto. With young lottery tickets like Carmona it is trickier because you want some to hopefully have enough to develop for you, but on the other hand almost all of them amount to very little. I disagree with the lack of high ceiling talent I see a fair bit, but again a lot of those guys can also flame out before really doing anything.

I don't know how it's gonna work but I know this lineup should be a ***** for opposing pitchers no matter who is on the mound

Except one of Shaw, Schoop, and Moose will be on the bench every day to start.

This is such a curious move.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hate to break it to you, but that is exactly what Carmona is. A 45 FV depth guy.

Agree to disagree

Fangraphs has him as a 40 to use a 3rd party source, though that was going into this year. Not that he has done much to change that.

I'd like this trade better if we hadn't first traded for Moustakas and simply let Shaw be the thirdbaseman and Schoop play secondbase.

This. Exactly this.

:indifferent

Narrow field of view thinking IMO

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know how it's gonna work but I know this lineup should be a ***** for opposing pitchers no matter who is on the mound

The Brewers make so many pitching moves that all three of them will likely play multiple innings each game.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not if you just put Arcia on the bench

This move feels like a boost to the floor more than the ceiling. It's not flashy. It'll be an improvement, but in less obvious ways. It means more rest for guys like Shaw and Aguilar, and another option to play with if Aguilar's little slump continues or if anybody in the infield gets hurt, and better options for pinch hitting matchups and matchups in general.

The little voice in my head asking "where's everybody gonna play" sounds an awful lot like the one at the beginning of the season asking the same question about the outfield.

I do still worry about the defense a bit. But hope springs attorney.

The upgrade on some combo of Miller, Villar and whoever is not worth the price to me.

Not even that

If Shaw were to play secondbase vs righthanders, Villar could play vs lefties. Granted, who knows about the health of Villar and if he'd continue hitting lefties well.

I'd like this trade better if we hadn't first traded for Moustakas and simply let Shaw be the thirdbaseman and Schoop play secondbase.

Now one of those three have to sit each day unless Arcia doesn't play and Schoop is a shortstop, with Shaw at second and Moustakas at third. Ugly infield defense if that's the case.

Brewers are 28th in GB rate. Infielders don't get many chances.

We all have seen the many really good plays Arcia makes at shortstop, plays Schoop wouldn't be as skilled at if playing shortstop.

To think having Shaw at secondbase and Schoop at shortstop wouldn't be a terrible infield defensive situation is just being unrealistic, even though the offense would be better.

Hate to break it to you, but that is exactly what Carmona is. A 45 FV depth guy.

Agree to disagree

Fangraphs has him as a 40 to use a 3rd party source, though that was going into this year. Not that he has done much to change that.

Maybe I'm prospect hugging, but we shall revist this in a couple years. It's done with, and I don't really understand the move, but it's a good controllable ML bat at a weak position. I'm glad we didn't over pay for an arm.

When Schoop's name was initially brought up as a potential target to start the season guys like Hiura and Burnes were being brought up. Have to give credit to brewcrewdue80 for calling the Ortiz/Villar return when Schoop's name resurfaced in July.

The trade fits the need for another righty in the lineup. Won't have to feel the need to play Shaw and Moose when they face lefties like the Brewers will two games in a row vs the Dodgers Wednesday and Thursday. Schoop had a real nice year in 2017 for the Orioles and the oblique injury hurt his stats to start the year. On base will always be low but could be a nice addition for the rest of the year and can play 2B in 2019 until Hiura is ready.

Do you think Shaw or Moose could play a little OF (LF)?

If they could that gives you a lineup of:

1) Yelich-RF

2) Cain-CF

3) Moose - 3B

4) Aguilar - 1B

5) Shaw - LF

6) Schoop - 2b

7) Pina -C

8) Arcia - SS

With Braun, Thames, Perez, as PH candidates later in the game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers are 28th in GB rate. Infielders don't get many chances.

We all have seen the many really good plays Arcia makes at shortstop, plays Schoop wouldn't be as skilled at if playing shortstop.

To think having Shaw at secondbase and Schoop at shortstop wouldn't be a terrible infield defensive situation is just being unrealistic, even though the offense would be better.

Yes but it's possible Schoop starts at SS then late inning he moves to 2B or out of the game and Arcia plays SS.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I...I have to admit that I'm really kind of confused right now. I don't get giving up the three guys we did for a .720 OPS second baseman we'll have for a year and a half. This almost felt like we made a deadline move just to make one.
I think we gave a better package for Schoop than what the Braves gave for Gausman. That's where I don't understand the logic...

Medeiros is probably the one I'll miss the most.

100% agree.

Hated seeing him go, but like you said, those other 4 guys are still Brewers, so at least there is that.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm glad the deadline passed and all of Hiura, Burnes, Peralta, and Ray are still here. Medeiros is probably the one I'll miss the most.

Agreed with everything here. Also glad that, given some of the trades, Stearns didn't feel pressured to overbid for players. I wonder what the offer for Archer was given they were in the hunt with what the Pirates offered.

I hate this trade. Carmona is one of the few prospects the Brewers have who I can see being elite in the next few years and Schoop doesn't really add much to the team with the logjam they have now of 3B/2B to get into the lineup. I'd rather trot Shaw out at 2B daily.

Very disappointed.

Archived