Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this is going to be Schoop playing SS like people suggest, at least not every day. It is going to be mixing and matching a lot at 2B and 3B and some SS. Probably see Shaw sit some early because he has been banged up lately.

Speaking of which, any word on his foot from last night?

Someone here looked him up and said he played SS coming up? So 2B vs lefties and a few games at SS each week. Plus when Arcia comes in for D substituting he can go over to 2B. IDK, this will be interesting

Yeah, start the games with 3B Moose, SS Schoop, 2B Shaw. Finish the game with 3B Moose or Shaw, SS Arcia, 2B Schoop.

Nothing else about the 2018 Brewers has been conventional. Why start now :-)

Yep this is how I see it too......Bernie likes it....https://twitter.com/berniepleskoff/status/1024389795261239296?s=21

With Carmona in this deal. I think this is beyond ***** stupid. Dozier was almost free and we do this. Stearns... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

You are worried about losing a rookie ball shortstop prospect with an OPS of .700? LOL :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We'll never know, but I really wish we could go back and see what kind of offers Stearns made for Archer, Harvey and Gausmann. We were so close to deals according to the rumors, at least for Harvey.

Harvey can still be acquired if needed. Cost is not going to be significant. Question is whether he is an upgrade. My personal feeling is no.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With Carmona in this deal. I think this is beyond ***** stupid. Dozier was almost free and we do this. Stearns... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

I think Dozier is a FA after this year. Brewers get Schoop for 2019 as well.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Shaw May play some 1st if Jesus comes down to earth more and more...

Or if Thames gets hurt Shaw/Moose can get a few games at 1B. Basic thing I think we can all get behind is that we should see very little of the Perez, Sogard, villar, and Orfs from here on out.

Generally speaking, I think we gave up more than I expected. But he does have another year of control so I kinda get it. Hope he stays hot

Man, that kind of seems like a lot for Schoop to be honest. He's not a true rental but not a ton of control, either. I guess that means they don't think Hiura is ready for 2nd base next year?

Looks like they are planning on going straight platoon with Schoop/Shaw at 2nd the rest of the season?

Very interesting move again by Stearns.

We'll never know, but I really wish we could go back and see what kind of offers Stearns made for Archer, Harvey and Gausmann. We were so close to deals according to the rumors, at least for Harvey.

Harvey can still be acquired if needed. Cost is not going to be significant. Question is whether he is an upgrade. My personal feeling is no.

IF things work out and we can get Jimmy Nelson back (which is appearing less and less likely) our rotation would be Nelson, Davies, Anderson, Chachin and Guerra. Not bad at all, assuming Nelson is what he used to be. It's a big if, just wishful thinking.

Not sure if the Brewers have had a deeper bench than what they'll be able to have active on any given night.

Looks like the AAA bullpen shuttle may morph more into the AAA #5 / piggy back starting pitcher shuttle while the bullpen gets leaned on heavily and ample PH options present themselves...I'm expecting to see a story soon mentioning Jimmy Nelson headed to Biloxi to start building some innings up off the mound - with Medeiros and Ortiz gone plus Brown injured with that ankle, that staff suddenly has a lot of innings to dish out...

I kind of like it considering what it would've taken to bring in a stud starting pitcher that we'd only get to hand the ball to every 5th game.

You are worried about losing a rookie ball shortstop prospect with an OPS of .700? LOL :laughing

You. Don't. Scout. The. Statline.

I agree with this overreaction. Not only was Dozier basically free, but the Twins even took on Logran Forsythe's bad contract.

Carmona is like giving away a young Orlando Arica (the good one)

I think Dozier is a FA after this year. Brewers get Schoop for 2019 as well.

Why do we need a controllable 2B when Hiura's bat should be ML ready in a years time? I'd argue that his bat is ready now. Glove still needs work.

Dozier will be a free agent at the end of the season. Schoop has 6 times as long a contract as Dozier at this point. That probably played a role in things. You cannot go into 2019 relying on a rookie with no backup plan either.

Archived