Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should we really be excited by this? 273 OBP this year. Yuck.

One bad half season doesn't turn a good/great player into a bad player. He was in the MVP discussions last year. Plus, he's heated up lately.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We all knew Shaw wasn’t going to really be our 2B, no one bought that but I thought it would be Dozier instead of Moose and we trade for Gausmam in the package. Seems more simple.

As of right now, I still think Shaw will be our 2B, at least against RHP.

Looks like a Shaw/Schoop platoon to me with Schoop maybe playing some Short.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeez, I'm over there in the transaction forum posting on a locked thread and wondering why no one else cares. :)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Per MLB...........Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona and Jonathan Villar

Wow. Carmona was on some top 30 lists.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Totally, I don't mind adding a bat didn't need to give up a top 10 prospect+ for this. I thought I read he has been injured this season though, maybe he can get back to last years level.

Watch Villar flunk his physical.

If we're only looking at Ortiz and scraps, not a bad price.

Shows how much they wanted to improve offense. I get that the overall starters ERA is fine, but it's hard to be confident in Miley and Peralta as the 4/5 and Woodruff the back-up.

Timing for a 2018-19 player makes sense with Hiura, Erceg, Dubon all profiling as potential 2020 players, but can't see committing $15M to Moustakas next year unless Shaw is traded or Shoop is flipped in the off-season.

One bad half season doesn't turn a good/great player into a bad player. He was in the MVP discussions last year. Plus, he's heated up lately.

He did have a great year last year, but was pretty pedestrian the year before last. Of course he is getting older, but I'm not as excited as others appear to be.

Brewers are only allowed to have one Jonathan on the 40 man at any given time.

If this is true, even better! Also make Schoop great trade bait if Hiura comes quick.

Stearns is genius. I'm glad he didn't give up Burnes or Hiura. He's really trying to build a perennial contender and avoid the typical small-market up an down cycle.

Interesting move. Schoop will fill 2nd base through 2019 - keep the spot warm for Hiura. But not sure about 2018. Arcia seems to still be the SS. I'm guessing there will just be a lot of rotating for Moose, Shaw and Schoop. Keep guys fresh - that sort of thing. Plus Schoop can be deployed vs lefties - giving Moose or Shaw a day to sit.

Sad to see Carmona go. Thought he was a really interesting prospect. I liked Ortiz as well, but had doubts about his long term conditioning. Still, he's a quality arm.

Is he a rental? Or how long is he signed for?

Two more, free agent after 2020 season

If this is true, even better! Also make Schoop great trade bait if Hiura comes quick.

I think it's true...Baseball-Reference has him as "Earliest Free Agent: 2020." I believe that means after the 2020 season, but can someone clarify that?

Edit: My mistake, I believe that means BEFORE the 2020 season. (For example, Manny Machado is listed as "Earliest Free Agent: 2019). So, it appears we in fact have him for 1.5 seasons.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived