Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
2 out of 3 aint bad as far as our trade season went. Keston can't get here soon enough.

2 of 3? Schoop has been horrible, Moose is not better than Shaw (the man he replaced at 3B), and Soria gave the Brewers 5 IP before landing on the DL.

This trade deadline is looking like a disaster.

I get where you are coming from and it looks like the fat lady is on stage and doing some vocal exercises, but she hasn't begun to sing...

Moose doesn't have to be better than Shaw, he has to be better than 2B since we still have Shaw's bat in the lineup Moose is really a replacement for our 2B production. So far not horrible.

Soria has been fine so far outside of a bad outing and that may have been related to his quad strain. So far pretty good.

Schoop has been an utter nightmare since we got him. He makes Arcia look like a great hitter... If he doesn't get it going soon, I hope the fat lady sits on him when she starts to sing...

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 out of 3 aint bad as far as our trade season went. Keston can't get here soon enough.

2 of 3? Schoop has been horrible, Moose is not better than Shaw (the man he replaced at 3B), and Soria gave the Brewers 5 IP before landing on the DL.

This trade deadline is looking like a disaster.

I get where you are coming from and it looks like the fat lady is on stage and doing some vocal exercises, but she hasn't begun to sing...

Moose doesn't have to be better than Shaw, he has to be better than 2B since we still have Shaw's bat in the lineup Moose is really a replacement for our 2B production. So far not horrible.

Soria has been fine so far outside of a bad outing and that may have been related to his quad strain. So far pretty good.

Schoop has been an utter nightmare since we got him. He makes Arcia look like a great hitter... If he doesn't get it going soon, I hope the fat lady sits on him when she starts to sing...

He is just waiting to get scorching hot in September when we need him most.

For me, It’s not just that Schoop looks lost and swings at everything the worst part is he looks physically scared out there in his facial expression. Anybody else notice that? Maybe that was how he looked in Baltimore playing but I get no confidence he’s comfortable and on his game and focused.

For me, It’s not just that Schoop looks lost and swings at everything the worst part is he looks physically scared out there in his facial expression. Anybody else notice that? Maybe that was how he looked in Baltimore playing but I get no confidence he’s comfortable and on his game and focused.

He looks scared because he's struggling. If he was mashing the ball that same look would be called focused.

I'll also add most of the time a player is in a slump, he looks really awful. Even Braun in his prime would have stretches where he chased sliders way low and outside then watched a fastball down the middle of the plate. Of course, his slumps back then didn't last very long. But he looked every bit as bad when he was in one.

He has a 6 game hitting streak in games he has started. Could be worse. Could also be better, still waiting for his first multi-hit game and first HR. Baby steps.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Instead of moving all those pieces for Moustakas and Schoop, using them to get Dozier and Gausman would've made a lot more sense IMO.

I do like Moose, though.

That’s the issue. We needed a starter and a stop gap 2B so needless to say we get a 3B and a 2B with a sub 300 OBA and paid full retail to get them.

Seeing Gausman pitch was an eye opener of what we have lacked.

Schoop will bust out with a couple of homers this week against the Cubs and Cards, I can feel it

Or he won’t even play against a lefty starter.

If they sit the right-handed Schoop against LHP in favor of left-handers Shaw and Moose, then they really have lost faith in him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Instead of moving all those pieces for Moustakas and Schoop, using them to get Dozier and Gausman would've made a lot more sense IMO.

I do like Moose, though.

thats assuming that MIN or BAL didnt want other prospects for those two players, which they clearly did, or else we'd have gotten those two players....

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I do like Moose, though.

thats assuming that MIN or BAL didnt want other prospects for those two players, which they clearly did, or else we'd have gotten those two players....

Sure, it may not have been the exact same players involved, but it's pretty ignorant to believe the Brewers flat out couldn't have gotten those guys.

The package the Brewers gave up for Moustakas was clearly better than what the Twins got for Dozier. Also, the Orioles obviously liked Ortiz and Carmona enough, given they took them for Schoop. The return they got from the Braves for Gausman was certainly beatable. Heck, I would've been willing to build a deal around Peralta for Gausman- I believe I even said so in the Transactions board sometime before the deadline.

I'm not throwing in the towel and saying they were awful trades, it's too early to do that. I'm just saying they were head scratchers at the time, and look even more questionable now.

I am late tuning in today but the Cubs started a LH and we started Perez at 2nd and Arcia at SS? Oof, I hope there is some info here that I haven't seen like Schoop had a migraine or something. I mean the only reason I thought the Schoop trade made any sense was so we could balance out the lefty hitters against southpaws ESPECIALLY against the Cubs. I really hope Kodi and Ortiz bust out as some seem to expect, because right now I am not very high on the Brewers getting much of anything out of these trades.

Moustakas has hit Quintana pretty well in his career and Pérez is scorching hot AND has mashed lefties this year. School on the other hand has been terrible lately with the bat.

Not exactly shocked he sat this one out. Long term he would see more starts vs. lefties...but short term it made sense.

* Jonathan Schoop was 8-for-48 with 18 strikeouts in 14 games with the Brewers, and he wasn’t in last night’s lineup. So, do they still tender him a contract and absorb the raise he’s going to get beyond the $8.5 million he’s being paid this season? Could he possibly become a non-tender?

There are rumblings that the Brewers will try to flip him to another team - if that’s the correct term after months have passed instead of hours.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/leftovers-for-breakfast-77.html

* Jonathan Schoop was 8-for-48 with 18 strikeouts in 14 games with the Brewers, and he wasn’t in last night’s lineup. So, do they still tender him a contract and absorb the raise he’s going to get beyond the $8.5 million he’s being paid this season? Could he possibly become a non-tender?

There are rumblings that the Brewers will try to flip him to another team - if that’s the correct term after months have passed instead of hours.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/leftovers-for-breakfast-77.html

I doubt anybody would want Schoop when his salary is taken into consideration.

Only chance he's traded is probably if the Brewers eat $3-5 million. Even then I doubt the prospect return is much more than a bag of balls.

They've really kind of painted themselves into a corner on this one.

On one hand, you don't trade a top 5 and top 15 prospect, plus an MLB player, for a controlled player and then non-tender him. You just don't, it's a pretty big statement of failure.

On the other hand, he's clearly not a 9-10M dollar player right now, but the arbitration process does not care. Based on how they do things, he is a 9-10M dollar player. That's a lot for a guy if you're not even sure you want him on your roster let alone your starting lineup.

I don't see how trading him is even a realistic strategy. If we don't want him at 10M, why would anyone else? Even if we can, the return will be basically nothing. It feels like an attempt to save face.

All we can really hope is that he starts to go on a tear again.

10 million essentially buys 1 win at this point.

Schoop was worth 0.8 fWAR/1.2 bWWR for Baltimore in a half season prior to the trade.

In 2017 he was worth 3.8 fWAR/5.2 bWAR. In 2016 he was at 2.2 fWAR/2.4 bWAR. In 2015 he came in at 1.3 fWAR/1.4 bWAR.

It is very unlikely Schoop would be a negative asset with a 10 million salary in 2019.

Get this, today is the last day of Schoop's career that he can be optioned without his consent, he hits 5 years service time tomorrow.

The kicker on that -- if he were optioned today and left down for the rest of the season, he would remain under club control through 2020 instead of 2019. Call it the JJ Hardy strategy.

I'm assuming they are aware of this, and I doubt it will happen. Schoop's camp I'm guessing would be furious, the MLBPA would be furious, but it would be hard to say it's not justified from a performance standpoint.

Archived