Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That

What I can't understand is CC's need to start Schoop in the clean-up spot.

He has done nothing to warrant even considering this move, yet it happens.

Let the guy get his feet under him in this line-up before putting any more pressure on him. He is obviously pressing, so putting him in that spot makes zero sense.

Just stop it!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's slightly annoying to see so many Brewers fans attacking a new acquisition after a brief cold stretch, when that guy has a proven track record of being an excellent player. This isn't Yuniesky Betancourt...

That seems like the behavior of the dreaded "casual fan" :laughing

Agreed. I would add a caveat, Schoop wasn't brought in to contribute over the course of the entire season. He was brought in for the two month pennant drive, so coming up on two weeks of horrible performance is a big chunk of that time frame.

But there's still a lot of games to be played, and Schoop could be the hero in September. That's, of course, when all the people calling for his head will quickly come here to post they were wrong.

Just like Chacin. Everyone that wanted to cut him after 3 starts has come back and admitted it :-).

lol - there are posters in this thread who called it insane that Chacin got his contract at the time of his signing when compared to the relative bargain value the Cubs got by paying Chatwood ~$12.5 Million per season to apparently walk everybody. Laughing emojii and all...

Let the guy get his feet under him in this line-up before putting any more pressure on him. He is obviously pressing, so putting him in that spot makes zero sense.

Just stop it!

What's wrong with pressure? If he can't handle the pressure, how is he going to handle the pressure of a big AB the last game of the season to win the pennant? He's not a child, he's a professional athlete that deals with pressure every day.

Besides, I really don't buy there's any more pressure batting 4th in the line-up vs 6th or 8th.

Agreed. I would add a caveat, Schoop wasn't brought in to contribute over the course of the entire season. He was brought in for the two month pennant drive, so coming up on two weeks of horrible performance is a big chunk of that time frame.

But there's still a lot of games to be played, and Schoop could be the hero in September. That's, of course, when all the people calling for his head will quickly come here to post they were wrong.

Just like Chacin. Everyone that wanted to cut him after 3 starts has come back and admitted it :-).

lol - there are posters on this page of this thread who called it insane that Chacin got his contract at the time of his signing when compared to the relative bargain value the Cubs got by paying Chatwood ~$12.5 Million per season to apparently walk everybody. Laughing emojii and all...

Love reading the replies on these and I hope it's the same with Schoop. I'm sure there are more that just don't contain "Chacin" so I can't find them all in the search.

Just stop it!

What's wrong with pressure? If he can't handle the pressure, how is he going to handle the pressure of a big AB the last game of the season to win the pennant? He's not a child, he's a professional athlete that deals with pressure every day.

Besides, I really don't buy there's any more pressure batting 4th in the line-up vs 6th or 8th.

Yeah. At least in this case he'd have Braun or Aguilar or Mous behind him and maybe see some pitches.

There might be more pressure batting 6th or 7th when they've walked Aguilar and Braun and he's up with 2 outs and Manny Pina protecting him.

EDIT: Today he's batting 7th in front of Pina haha.

To be slightly fair to CC, at the time of the trade, Schoop was on a big hot streak with a bunch of homers, so one can understand giving him a shot at cleanup for the first couple games. But, I do agree that it would have made sense to move him further down sooner than what happened, with his slow start with the Brewers.

I will say that I am one who wishes they'd have been able to find a 2b who has a bit more OBP prowess, but the team can get away with it down in the order. He is still a clear upgrade over what they've had at 2b the last 2 years, so you're not going to find me complaining a lot about this trade.

So far CC has put him in the 4th spot against LHP and moved him to 6th and now 7th against RHP. This just happens to be only the 3rd game he's started against a RHP.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Ha, I didn't even check the pitcher today, what's that they say about assuming?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

when that guy has a proven track record of being an excellent player.

Can I just post the laughing emoji? All I really want to do right here is post the laughing emoji.

Sure. The emojis are on the lefthand side of the posting screen. Are you having browser issues?

Looks like this: :laughing

To be slightly fair to CC, at the time of the trade, Schoop was on a big hot streak with a bunch of homers, so one can understand giving him a shot at cleanup for the first couple games. But, I do agree that it would have made sense to move him further down sooner than what happened, with his slow start with the Brewers.

I will say that I am one who wishes they'd have been able to find a 2b who has a bit more OBP prowess, but the team can get away with it down in the order. He is still a clear upgrade over what they've had at 2b the last 2 years, so you're not going to find me complaining a lot about this trade.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. I love OBP guys, but it's okay to have some power guys batting behind them in the lineup. Schoop was very hot right before the trade, so Counsell penciled him into the cleanup spot, but he probably should be a few spots down in our lineup. If he can put up his career average .741 OPS for the rest of the season, it will help us in our playoff run.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gausman mowing us down like chumps pretty much cements my opinion on this trade. Seems like the analytics team got out argued by some scouts that liked Schoop’s tools. The trade never made sense with the fit. Meanwhile Schoop has been absolutely abysmal. I’d rather Orlando play at this point for his defense. Just overall disappointed with the early returns tbh. Can’t win em all.

5 for 34, 4 singles, 0 BB 16 Ks

His plate discipline so far has somehow looked even worse than what we see out of Arcia and Perez. That's hard to do.

Schoop has legit really good home run and doubles power, but he simply refuses to make pitchers throw him better pitches to hit hard. There have been times since the trade where i've literally found myself yelling at the TV, "please stop swinging at that crap", as he he flails at one pitch way off the plate after another.

5 for 34, 4 singles, 0 BB 16 Ks

His plate discipline so far has somehow looked even worse than what we see out of Arcia and Perez. That's hard to do.

Schoop has legit really good home run and doubles power, but he simply refuses to make pitchers throw him better pitches to hit hard. There have been times since the trade where i've literally found myself yelling at the TV, "please stop swinging at that crap", as he he flails at one pitch way off the plate after another.

I know the stats say he's hit homers in the past, but watching this guy, I can't believe it. He looks exactly like what I'd expect a .264 obp hitter to look like, terrible. I don't think he's even had a hard liner or deep flyout yet. This is not a normal slump...

I'm a debbie downer on the Brewers with the best of them but this thread takes the cake.

I was no fan of Villar, but he was done here and it was time for him to go. If he turns into an all-star so be it.

Oritz has some potential but spent 3 years at AA and seems like he can't stay healthy.

Honestly never even heard of Carmona but teenage international signings are such crapshoots you have no clue what he might or might not be. Is he Gilbert Lara or Jose Ramirez?

Schoop has pretty much sucked since he got here, there's no denying that. But considering the blackhole that was our middle infield all year long and he can retained next year, seems like an acceptable trade to me. It's not like Schoop is keeping a better player off the field at this point and his ceiling is definitely high than Perez, Saladino, Orf, Sogard and whatever other crap we were running out there.

2 out of 3 aint bad as far as our trade season went. Keston can't get here soon enough.

2 of 3? Schoop has been horrible, Moose is not better than Shaw (the man he replaced at 3B), and Soria gave the Brewers 5 IP before landing on the DL.

This trade deadline is looking like a disaster.

2 out of 3 aint bad as far as our trade season went. Keston can't get here soon enough.

2 of 3? Schoop has been horrible, Moose is not better than Shaw (the man he replaced at 3B), and Soria gave the Brewers 5 IP before landing on the DL.

I get the impulse to make an immediate judgement, but I don't think Aug. 11th is the point at which a definitive conclusion can be reached. I'll hold off my judgement until the end of the season and, ultimately, next year, by which time I'll bet...

- some of the folks who would've needed to be retained on the 40-man (and may not have kept their 40-man spot) are no longer around to create a crunch,

- some of the future prospect-types who would need to be added to the 40-man for Rule V protection are able to be added because there will be less of a crunch,

- Soria -- who pitched well except for the grand slam -- will likely have been back from the DL for at least a month and maybe more,

- Schoop has a chance to get into a groove, and possibly also Moustakas will prove more of his worth,

... and so on.

I get the impulse to make an immediate judgement, but I don't think Aug. 11th is the point at which a definitive conclusion can be reached. I'll hold off my judgement until the end of the season and, ultimately, next year, by which time I'll bet...

- some of the folks who would've needed to be retained on the 40-man (and may not have kept their 40-man spot) are no longer around to create a crunch,

- some of the future prospect-types who would need to be added to the 40-man for Rule V protection are able to be added because there will be less of a crunch,

- Soria -- who pitched well except for the grand slam -- will likely have been back from the DL for at least a month and maybe more,

- Schoop has a chance to get into a groove, and possibly also Moustakas will prove more of his worth,

... and so on.

And any of the prospects given up could become 6 year contributors.

These trades will be “won” if and only if these guys are contributing to a playoff and likely a pennant.

Archived