Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That

I've taken a few hours to digest this trade.

My initial take is that I don't like the deal. Ortiz has a big fastball and could very well end up a major league starter or at worst a two pitch effective bullpen arm. Then add in Villar and Carmona, just too much for Schoop.

However, I am keeping an open mind.

My view on this trade changes significantly if lights it up and is part of a playoff run. Stearns could then deal Schoop in the off-season and recoup much of what he just gave up. Maybe more, actually.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then you just liked him because he was a relatively nonathletic, over-achieving white dude(NOT saying you have any ill will towards anyone else based on race at all).

Then why mention he's a white dude?

I will just say I have no faith at all in Ortiz ever being a major league quality starter. He is maybe a bullpen guy with a big injury history. Carmona is too young to know, right now he doesn't' look like much of value but with a teen it is really easy for things to change quickly.

The big question is whether 2017 Schoop is for real or is he the guy who walks 3% of the time and hits like .250 which derails any chance he has of being a really high quality player.

I...I have to admit that I'm really kind of confused right now. I don't get giving up the three guys we did for a .720 OPS second baseman we'll have for a year and a half. This almost felt like we made a deadline move just to make one.
I think we gave a better package for Schoop than what the Braves gave for Gausman. That's where I don't understand the logic...

I think the logic is that they didn’t like Gausman that much. I mean, the enthusiasm around here for Gausman was based on what? Former high draft pick, Wade Milley expletives, coaching magic, and wish-casting for the next Arrieta? It isn’t a very strong argument in the end, it seems to me.

Actually watching him pitch in my case. And imagining what a good pitching coach could do with his wicked stuff.

The more I think about this trade the more I like it because it sets up next year. We’ll almost certainly lose the Moose, and almost just as certainly strengthen the starting staff in the off season. I don’t think we’re WS bound this year, but I could see it next year. If that’s the case it could be a brilliant preemptive move on Stearns’ part. But still, Carmona hurts, really hurts. Here’s hoping that Turang (sic?) makes us all scoff at missing Carmona. In DS We Trust.

What stat or report are you looking at that makes you so sure it will hurt? If he was performing well, I'd understand, but what has he done?

Jonathan Schoop just left a team sitting at 43 games below .500 and is joining a team 16 games over .500 that is tied for 1st place in the NL. That seems like a decent upgrade on his season outlook.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Jonathan Schoop just left a team sitting at 43 games below .500 and is joining a team 16 games over .500 that is tied for 1st place in the NL. That seems like a decent upgrade on his season outlook.

Word.

Of the three trades DS has made this past week, this is the one I like the most. Didn't like losing Kodi Medeiros for Soria, but I understand. Sad to Phillips go, thought he could be RF for a few years, but again I understand. Schopp is a steal, Ortiz MAY me make regret my support, but it's a BIG MAY. Carmona is interesting, but light years away and Villar is well, Villar! I have heard a phrase thrown around for the past couple of years in regards to a certain politician, but if anyone is actually playing 3-D Chess it's Stearns!

My 9-year old is awesome.

When I tucked him in tonight, I explained how baseball trades worked. Told him that teams will often trade two or three young minor leaguers for one good major leaguer to help the team right now and that that is what the Brewers did.

He said, "It's kind of like in video games when you use more than one item to craft a weapon. You don't know if the weapon will turn out to be good, but you have to take the chance."

Just curious, did anyone see comments or sentiments attributed to Jonathan Villar after the trade? Obviously a tough situation to get shipped into a long rebuild, but realized I hadn’t heard any comments about Villar receiving the news.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The catching issue really isn't as big as people want to make it out to be. Pina has been an above average catcher so far in his slightly over a year career. His BABIP is down right now and it is deflating everything but he is hardly a problem. A better backup C would be nice for sure but it isn't the huge weak link people keep suggesting it is. I'd love a SP but it apparently just isn't happening. We are going with the starter gets us 4 to 5 innings and we abuse the bullpen and hope it survives it path. It can work but it is certainly risky and any injuries to the bullpen will derail it.

Agree about the catching situation, plus they have 3 catchers putting up really good numbers at AAA. They don't have an All Star there, but they have 5 guys that can be argued are major league catchers in their system.

Villar played a full year of SS at the major league level and was arguably a slight positive there (good range trumps excessive miscues most of the time). Schoop is obviously a better hitter than Villar, but his career OPS+ doesn't exactly blow Villar's away. I think if they were going to play a 2B at SS, we would have seen more of it already. I think this is mostly for platoons and double switches and to have a deeper bench. I think if they keep Arcia at SS, they can still have a top-5 defense with Shaw at 2B and Thames in RF, but they must be very careful when it comes to SS, CF, or C.

Agree about the catching situation, plus they have 3 catchers putting up really good numbers at AAA. They don't have an All Star there, but they have 5 guys that can be argued are major league catchers in their system.

Bethancourt and Bandy are basically proven duds at the MLB level. Stranger things have happened, but I very much doubt they're going to emerge as legit MLB players. Their stats at Colorado Springs mean basically nothing.

Kratz is 38, didn't even make the majors until 30, and is somehow miraculously having one of his 3 best seasons. The bottom could fall out any day now.

Pina has a career .300 BABIP, so don't expect a lot of regression there - especially since his ground-ball % is 5 points higher than the last 2 years and soft contact % is about 10 points higher.

There's not a lot of talent at the position at all. Fortunately most of the other NL contenders have their own problems, but catcher is possibly the weakest position on the team.

From Ken Rosenthals trade deadline roundup on TheAthletic:

From the outside, the Brewers seemed intent on trading Ortiz and outfielder Brett Phillips, two prospects whose stock had fallen. They offered both players to the Orioles for Manny Machado; Phillips ultimately went for Moustakas, Ortiz for Schoop. The team discussed more highly valued prospects in other deals, sources said, but evidently was comfortable moving them only for an elite pitcher such as New York Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom, as opposed to a lesser one such as Archer.

As for collecting a seeming excess of infielders after adding a seeming excess of outfielders during the off-season, general manager David Stearns said: “We talked about a whole bunch of deals that were perhaps a little bit more conventional. For one reason or another, those deals did not come to pass over the past couple of weeks.

That seems to imply that the Brewers weren't terribly close on Archer, but did kick the tires on bigger names like deGrom....

Part of me wonders if deGrom was the "pitcher almost acquired" that Stearns referred to yesterday. That would have been one heck of a splash.

Can't believe that was the deal..... not much news anywhere that deGrom was even on the market, much less traded. I was thinking more along the lines of Archer or Harvey.

Archived