Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
Now that the trade is done, I do kind of wish we would have added a Tigers player so we could have been responsible for weakening every single team in the AL Central outside of the Indians.

The 2019 AL Central Champion Cleveland Indians say thanks.

Would you like to assist us in raising the 2019 Division banner when you come to visit for the 2019 All Star game?? The division might be clinched by then..

I hope the Tribe wins the ALCS. Our only chance to have 4 WS games at home is if the Tribe pulls it off.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me this is a hedge in case Aguilar starts to come back to earth. Shaw can slide over to first quite easily.

I don't think it's specifically that. I think it's partially that, partially Shaw is horrible against lefties. Partially that we use our starters/bullpen a little differently and that creates the need to have multiple weapons on the bench at any given time. Not to mention injuries, off days and number of things. It is just an attempt to put as many quality bats on the field as possible.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Now that the trade is done, I do kind of wish we would have added a Tigers player so we could have been responsible for weakening every single team in the AL Central outside of the Indians.

The 2019 AL Central Champion Cleveland Indians say thanks.

Would you like to assist us in raising the 2019 Division banner when you come to visit for the 2019 All Star game?? The division might be clinched by then..

I hope the Tribe wins the ALCS. Our only chance to have 4 WS games at home is if the Tribe pulls it off.

That depends. If both teams won their division I believe it goes to better record. If teams are tied then it goes to head-to-head.

I don't think a wild card team can have home-field at any point over a division winner. Division winners get top 3 seeds in each league.

For example: Yankees (with a better record, winning the WC play-in) would not get home field over Cleveland (a division winner)

If Shaw can play 2nd then Schoop has to be able to play SS right? This is a bit of the out of the box move, but it makes more sense if Schoop sees at least some time at shortstop.

I suppose everything is subject to change but Counsell said he is not playing SS.

Regardless of how you feel about our deadline moves, we can all share in mutual joy that Eric Sogard is never going to be in our starting lineup again this year (we re-signed him to a minor league deal, in case you didn’t know that). Lol

Not here.... still liked him over other guys sent packin (Miller, Villar, Saladino soon).

Regardless of how you feel about our deadline moves, we can all share in mutual joy that Eric Sogard is never going to be in our starting lineup again this year (we re-signed him to a minor league deal, in case you didn’t know that). Lol

Not here.... still liked him over other guys sent packin (Miller, Villar, Saladino soon).

When it comes to the nerd, and CC's love for him, never say never...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

When it comes to the nerd, and CC's love for him, never say never...

It’s over. That transaction should be put on the highlight reel. What a relief that was when they finally took that 40 man spot from him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the fact that no one else of 29 other teams wanted him for the prorated veteran minimum and therefore he was totally available to sign a minor league deal is a pretty good indication of how highly his "skills" are regarded.

Then you just liked him because he was a relatively nonathletic, over-achieving white dude(NOT saying you have any ill will towards anyone else based on race at all).

Villar was playing better when he was getting more at bats. Sogard had a hot start when he was with us. Fans...in Wisconsin in particular, tend to like the guy who has no expectations, is a hard worker and they seem to weigh that a little heavily in grading a player and comparing them to similar players. And...if they look like you(Jordy in GB)....it helps a little.

But I like both the guys we added. I just don't understand why we added BOTH. I like that we should have Schoop next year. I hope we don't dump Shaw and try to keep Moose because that doesn't seem like a great move for us...a lateral move(talking about next year when/if Schoop is at 2nd regularly) and we lose age and control.

But...Stearns has done a lot of nice things, and with that comes the benefit of the doubt. He did pick up an enormously talented player today. A guy who can scare people at the bottom of the lineup and a RH'ed bat...so, figure it out Craig!

That really gives the team all kinds of options to go offense/ defense/, L/R, or guys just needing a rest platooning. In prior years I'd be worried but CC does really seem to have a pretty solid overall record in these areas.

And...if they look like you(Jordy in GB)....it helps a little.

Get out of here with this garbage. Lets go back to 2008...who was the most beloved Packer? Donald Driver, the black guy. Who was the most hated player in the league in WI? Brett Favre, the white redneck guy.

Sogard was a fan favorite in Milwaukee for same reason as any other team - he started out hot. The casual fan does not watch every game, and when a new guys comes in and they talk how great he is right away because he hits .500 for the first week that makes an impression. Then no one noticed he got 2 hits in August. If he started out with 2 hits his first month no one talks about him and he is gone.

If Shaw can play 2nd then Schoop has to be able to play SS right? This is a bit of the out of the box move, but it makes more sense if Schoop sees at least some time at shortstop.

I suppose everything is subject to change but Counsell said he is not playing SS.

From my understanding, Arcia is going to be playing every day from here on out for his defense. He's going to be in the spot in the shift that the ball is most likely going to get hit to...they're going to rely on him to cover ground and make up for some other area's.

It seemed to be like we were gonna ride with Arcia the rest of the way-regardless if he's hitting .350 or .150. That was just my impression.

Edit-There may be some degree of hyperbole in here, but not much....

I think I would have rather trusted Villar to hit against lefties going forward, something he has done well this year and in 2016 (but not 2017), and gone after a catcher upgrade instead. In my opinion, Wilson Ramos would have been a better offensive addition than Schoop, although I do like the possibilities that come with having the extra year of control for Schoop.

I don't hate the trade, but I certainly don't love it. I think Ortiz is going to be a mid-rotation major league starter and I wouldn't have been surprised if Carmona had developed into a top five prospect in the Brewers system in two more years down the road. I certainly don't mind using them as trade assets, but I don't know if this is the trade I would have pulled the trigger on.

This very well may end up happening but I think there is at least as good of a chance that he eats his way out of baseball. The scouting reports are really starting to skew negatively and his "bad body" is always the first thing noted.

Something else which I'm not sure has been mentioned yet is that as nice of a prospect as Ortiz is, he is also on his third season in AA now & has yet to crack 100 innings in a season.

Yep. Ortiz has a nice ceiling, but he's basically been treading water for 2 years since since we acquired him. There's a lot of room for doubt there.

Villar....eh. I liked him more than most, but he was probably on his way to being non tendered anyway this fall anyway. Its just an early roster dump. Hopefully he can find some success in Baltimore.

Carmona could be something, but statistically he's probably more likely to wind up being another Lara. In any event, we are years from knowing.

Medeiros was the hardest one for me to see go, but Soria was a nice addition.

Yeah he is going to be playing some short.....

That sounds encouraging at least. I don't hate the move; I mean the more talent you can add to the roster the better. I just think that if you're willing to improve the offense at the expense of defense by moving Shaw then you should kind of be all-in with that philosophy for this season. If Schoop can play D even at a slightly below average level at SS, they should take a shot at it. Let Arcia come in as the defensive replacement even if he's in early, at least you get the majority of the bats in the lineup/game.

Verified Member

Ortiz AND Carmona would be an overpay if Schoop was a pure two month rental, but he will be a very valuable part of the team next year.

Cots says that Schoop had 4.027 years of service time to begin the year. Does that mean if we option him down for a week we'll gain another year of control? At the end of next year he would then have fewer than 6 years of ML service time. Does he have options left? After he gains a certain amount of service time does he have the right to refuse to be optioned down even if he has option years remaining? I'm hoping somebody here can explain this situation better.

Then you just liked him because he was a relatively nonathletic, over-achieving white dude(NOT saying you have any ill will towards anyone else based on race at all).

Villar was playing better when he was getting more at bats. Sogard had a hot start when he was with us. Fans...in Wisconsin in particular, tend to like the guy who has no expectations, is a hard worker and they seem to weigh that a little heavily in grading a player and comparing them to similar players. And...if they look like you(Jordy in GB)....it helps a little.

But I like both the guys we added. I just don't understand why we added BOTH. I like that we should have Schoop next year. I hope we don't dump Shaw and try to keep Moose because that doesn't seem like a great move for us...a lateral move(talking about next year when/if Schoop is at 2nd regularly) and we lose age and control.

But...Stearns has done a lot of nice things, and with that comes the benefit of the doubt. He did pick up an enormously talented player today. A guy who can scare people at the bottom of the lineup and a RH'ed bat...so, figure it out Craig!

Better defender, bat off the bench, good LD% still this season...... had a good 2017 with more BB than Ks, didn't get 100 ABs in 2018.... liked him in a certain role, especially with runner at 3B. Villar was better this year but couldn't be trusted in the field or basepads and had innumerable chances to play more (even though he had the 6th most ABs on the team!)

Watch those racist backhanded attacks.... the parentheses comment does little help, neither does the Jordy stuff. To check yourself, insert another color in for white and see how that sounds.

I'm done talking Sogard until he's back up..... my opinion of him brings out the worst in people so it seems.

By the way, he isn't even playing at Colorado Springs..... on a reserve list? What is this exactly?

Something else which I'm not sure has been mentioned yet is that as nice of a prospect as Ortiz is, he is also on his third season in AA now & has yet to crack 100 innings in a season.

Yep. Ortiz has a nice ceiling, but he's basically been treading water for 2 years since since we acquired him. There's a lot of room for doubt there.

Villar....eh. I liked him more than most, but he was probably on his way to being non tendered anyway this fall anyway. Its just an early roster dump. Hopefully he can find some success in Baltimore.

Carmona could be something, but statistically he's probably more likely to wind up being another Lara. In any event, we are years from knowing.

Medeiros was the hardest one for me to see go, but Soria was a nice addition.

I agree on Medeiros

He still has things to clean up to become a productive major league pitcher, but young lefties with an arm like his are hard to part with.

Ortiz was ranked higher by nearly all services who do that with minor league players, but i'd rather Medeiros stayed with the Brewers organization than Ortiz.

Watching two of the hottest hitters in the Majors in our lineup will be very fun.

I approve of this move. Schoop is good defensively, and can rake. And, he's not yet 27.

This opens up all kinds of interesting lineup possibilities, and drastically improves our bench.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived