Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for Schoop; give up Luis Ortiz, Jean Carmona, and Jonathan Villar

And That
I really don't like this move. The only way it makes some sense is if Schoop can play SS at a high level. I wouldn't be happy with a Machado situation, he doesn't hit like Machado where you can justify it. Moustakas is a plus defender at 3b but Shaw will likely be a below average 2b at best and Schoop is a question mark. If Arcia still gets a ton of playing time, I'll find this trade incredibly dumb as we'll have 2 good players on the bench every day and 2 bad hitters in the lineup everyday.

Our pitching has relied heavily on good defense to keep runs off the board, it seems like we are throwing that strategy to the wind to a large degree in the name of offense. I'm hopefully, but also very skeptical.

The Os board seemed to love the Brewers trade but didn’t like the Braves trade FWIW.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about depth and the strategy of twice through the order for SPs and then turning to a top-notch bullpen and doing enough double switching to basically have a DH... I've been poking around looking at team PH stats. The Brewers are one of the better pinch-hitting teams in the majors by many metrics:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaderssplits.aspx?splitArr=94&strgroup=season&statgroup=2&startDate=2018-03-01&endDate=2018-11-01&filter=&position=B&statType=team&autoPt=false&players=&pg=0&pageItems=30&sort=14,1

So. Depth. Bullpen. Quasi-DH. Yep. I dig it.

That's it for the Lucroy/Jeffress trade, interesting not one of the players ever played for the Brewers

Expected the shoe to drop at some point. There were connected rumors around here that melvin stuck his nose is this deal and that other brass in mke took it merely due to it being trade chips.

Like the addition of Schoop. Let's hope we see last years version and July's version.

Keep Hiura... watching Ray explode back to relevance...turang lutz as high upside youth with Burnes Peralta Woodruff Brown still in the fold wirks for me.

No worries about dealing ortiz villar. That young stashed monster upside lottery ticket was a shame to kick in. I can rattle off a few names I'd have rather moved than Carmona.

Kodi (and I've stuck with him) Lopez, Phillips (and his defense makes me giddy) ortiz I'll lose little sleep over. I hated seeing Yamamoto in the Yelich deal and hate seeing Carmona in this one. Farm fill and Carmona for Soria Moose and Schoop works for me. Can't protect them all and I see plenty of names ahead of them in the system.

Scoop is an upgrade for what its worth to our overall depth but if he isn't playing short someone is going to be sitting quite a bit. I think scoop should play short and move to second once you get to the late innings for Arcia. Not getting a starter is a major problem. Jimmy Nelson could cost brewers a playoff spot two years in a row. Who would have thought.

According to Haudricourt, Schoop won't be playing shortstop, Arcia will. So likely based on whether a lefty or righty is the starting pitcher, Shaw or Schoop will start the game on the bench.

I really don't like this move. The only way it makes some sense is if Schoop can play SS at a high level. I wouldn't be happy with a Machado situation, he doesn't hit like Machado where you can justify it. Moustakas is a plus defender at 3b but Shaw will likely be a below average 2b at best and Schoop is a question mark. If Arcia still gets a ton of playing time, I'll find this trade incredibly dumb as we'll have 2 good players on the bench every day and 2 bad hitters in the lineup everyday.

Our pitching has relied heavily on good defense to keep runs off the board, it seems like we are throwing that strategy to the wind to a large degree in the name of offense. I'm hopefully, but also very skeptical.

The Os board seemed to love the Brewers trade but didn’t like the Braves trade FWIW.

Ortiz and Carmona were talked about a lot during the Machado talk over there, have to think they may have been included in the Brewers offer since the Orioles turned around and traded for them anyway.

I definitely can see the value in using Schoop in a double switch over Villar or Perez for a 3-4 inning 2 at bat stint. That's a lot to pay for that upgrade. I sure hope they know what their doing and I hopeful that it works out, but as noted above I'm a bit skeptical. On the surface it looks like we paid a lot for a very marginal upgrade.

Are you saying Schoop is a marginal upgrade over Villar/Perez? Gotta disagree with you on that. He is way better.

Of course Schoop is better than those guys, but how much better given the cost? Better enough to give up the package we gave up? I don't think so.

Community Moderator
Watch Villar flunk his physical.

Thought all that stuff had to be done by the deadline?

It does need to be done.

Late to the thread, but noticed this. My understanding is physicals are only done for free agents. I believe trades are approved based on the medical information/records on the players being shared via a central database overseen by the league office. I don't know if that is 100% accurate, but I know deadline trades aren't subject to actual physicals being conducted.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

According to Haudricourt, Schoop won't be playing shortstop, Arcia will. So likely based on whether a lefty or righty is the starting pitcher, Shaw or Schoop will start the game on the bench.

So does he replace both Perez and Villar? I could live with that. I have stuck with Perez for a while but he keeps getting worse every year because everyone knows you don't have to give him a single pitch to hit and he hasn't adjusted.

Saladino is still needed as the only legit back-up SS. He can be a defensive sub at 2b and injury sub at all 3 spots as well. I'm down with letting Broxton take Perez's roster spot but I guess they might still decide they need that versatility.

against lefties, Shaw can sit with his .537 OPS so Schoop playing 2B over Shaw is a big upgrade here considering we will actually have a middle infielder playing middle infield.

against righties, maybe Shoop sits but its not like we sold the farm to get him.

I wonder who does the prospect ratings for MLB.com. They have Ortiz as the Orioles 7th best prospect (was listed at 7 for the brew) and Carmona at 15 (was 14 for brewers). Baseball America has the Orioles farm system rated 17th.

It's not easy to have mashers throughout the entire lineup. At least we've seen that Pina has the ability to be a decent hitter. If he can elevate to "just ok," that's cool. For a backup catcher, Kratz has been solid.

Also, though C and SS are the holes in the lineup, they are big pluses defensively.

Community Moderator

I think I would have rather trusted Villar to hit against lefties going forward, something he has done well this year and in 2016 (but not 2017), and gone after a catcher upgrade instead. In my opinion, Wilson Ramos would have been a better offensive addition than Schoop, although I do like the possibilities that come with having the extra year of control for Schoop.

I don't hate the trade, but I certainly don't love it. I think Ortiz is going to be a mid-rotation major league starter and I wouldn't have been surprised if Carmona had developed into a top five prospect in the Brewers system in two more years down the road. I certainly don't mind using them as trade assets, but I don't know if this is the trade I would have pulled the trigger on.

Now that the trade is done, I do kind of wish we would have added a Tigers player so we could have been responsible for weakening every single team in the AL Central outside of the Indians.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Now that the trade is done, I do kind of wish we would have added a Tigers player so we could have been responsible for weakening every single team in the AL Central outside of the Indians.

The 2019 AL Central Champion Cleveland Indians say thanks.

Would you like to assist us in raising the 2019 Division banner when you come to visit for the 2019 All Star game?? The division might be clinched by then..

Will he be in LA tonight?

That’s what I’m wondering. I imagine he’ll be available for a pinch hit at bat in the later innings, but probably not to start.

I just looked and it's a 6 hour flight so I doubt he'll be active. Probably in the clubhouse though.

Can he play shortstop??

He's played a couple games in his career at short. He's basically been locked in at 2nd his entire career.

But played SS a bunch in the minors.

Good observation. He played his entire high school and early career at ss and most of his minor league career. Not sure why some are fussing and being negative about this. The Brewers have stayed impressively aggressive and obviously wants a ring this year. But we have control on Schoop for next year as well. It's pretty obvious that he is playing shortstop plus maybe 2nd base unless I missed something.

We will get a SP because we have to chase all of the money we spent. My guess is by the waiver deadline in August but certainly by next Opening day. I can't see them leaning on Peralta and Burnes in the playoffs, and Davies seems out of order.

Schoop's been on fire the last month. With Cubs now with 4 lefties in their rotation it couldn't be more timely. I love this deal.

^^^This^^^

Realizing that we will most likely be playing the Cubs in the NLDS, DS has moved to build a team to beat the LHP. Well done DS!

And, as much as I like Shaw, for whatever reason, he is awful against LHP. Really bad. Thames as well. Those two have to learn to balance things out like other HR hitters.

Archived