Brewer Fanatic

Archer to Pirates for Meadows/Glasnow/Baz

And That
For perspective on why we didn't acquire DeGrom, we probably simply didnt have enough. You would have had to start with Hiura to get Archer and then have decent enough complementary pieces just to have the best offer for Archer on the table.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hilarious thing is that Archer was a Cub and a top-100 prospect, but they traded him to Tampa for...

Matt Garza. You know, so the Cubs could go 71-91 in 2011 and 61-101 in 2012. :laughing

Jim Hendry was the gift that kept on giving.

So sad that Theo took over...

The hilarious thing is that Archer was a Cub and a top-100 prospect, but they traded him to Tampa for...

Matt Garza. You know, so the Cubs could go 71-91 in 2011 and 61-101 in 2012. :laughing

Theo’s a perfect deep pockets GM. Gets lots of chances to swing and miss. Heyward, Chatwood and Yu all are miserable contracts thus far.

Theo's losing his touch. He's not getting the return he thought from the Quintana deal as Eloy Jimenez is the early odds on for 2019 AL ROY and Dylan Cease has been absolutely dominating in AA. Then he spent more than double what the Brewers spent on Chacin for Tyler Chatwood who's been awful and $126 million on Darvish for what so far is one win. His drafting of David Bote in the 18th round in 2012 looks pretty good though.

I don't know if Meadows and Glasnow have been overrated. Maybe so. I liked Baz coming into that draft and the other two are name prospects. I'd be furious if I were a Buc fan. This is the type of move I fear for the Brewers, but it's nice that we didn't do it.

Good for the Rays, they got what they wanted. Good for Milwaukee, I would have hated to give up that much.

Pirates have also fallen further out of playoff contention this this trade and Archer has gone a grand total of 9 innings in his first two starts and has been entirely unimpressive in those starts. I don't think a 1.9 WHIP is good. It is only 2 starts I get it but not a good start to the Archer era.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Theo's losing his touch. He's not getting the return he thought from the Quintana deal as Eloy Jimenez is the early odds on for 2019 AL ROY and Dylan Cease has been absolutely dominating in AA. Then he spent more than double what the Brewers spent on Chacin for Tyler Chatwood who's been awful and $126 million on Darvish for what so far is one win. His drafting of David Bote in the 18th round in 2012 looks pretty good though.

I said from the start that I was thrilled to Eloy Jimenez out of the Chicago. At the time, I said he was going to be a beast - and I still think that. Glad he's playing on the south side of Chicago.

What has Theo honestly done since he took over for the Cubs? The only really big one I can really think of to give him credit for is Bryant. Baez was from the previous regime. Throwing a bunch of money at the pen has worked for the most part, but he has managed to build about the least efficient rotation in baseball when you consider bang for buck. Darvish is early but looks terrible so far, Quintana looks like an overpay, and it was ridiculous what he gave up for Chapman.

He honestly did a better job rebuilding them and acquiring young talent than he has turning them into a contender. If he had waited on his young talent, they'd probably be a 110 win team and head and shoulders the best in the NL.

What has Theo honestly done since he took over for the Cubs? The only really big one I can really think of to give him credit for is Bryant. Baez was from the previous regime. Throwing a bunch of money at the pen has worked for the most part, but he has managed to build about the least efficient rotation in baseball when you consider bang for buck. Darvish is early but looks terrible so far, Quintana looks like an overpay, and it was ridiculous what he gave up for Chapman.

He honestly did a better job rebuilding them and acquiring young talent than he has turning them into a contender. If he had waited on his young talent, they'd probably be a 110 win team and head and shoulders the best in the NL.

Id say getting Kyle Hendricks and Carl Edwards for Ryan Dempster, Anthony Rizzo for Andrew Cashner, and Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop for Scott Feldman were ok trades......

Oh and Addison Russell for Jeff Samardzija.

Id say getting Kyle Hendricks and Carl Edwards for Ryan Dempster, Anthony Rizzo for Andrew Cashner, and Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop for Scott Feldman were ok trades......

Which is why I said he did a much better job rebuilding them. Those were all rebuilding sell moves.

Which is why I said he did a much better job rebuilding them. Those were all rebuilding sell moves.

Well to be fair, there really aren't a lot of moves he can make right now. The offense is good and very young.

You had me until Russell for Samardzija. Not sure which of those two has been worse overall. Both have been below average.

I don't give any credit to GM's for draft picks.

In general i agree, but when it comes to top 5-10 picks in the first round, i can see at least some GM's taking an active role in who their team selects. Clearly though, GM's aren't going around evaluating prospects taken throughout a 30 plus round draft.

As for Theo, i think it likely was a philosophy which he believed in that lead to the Cubs drafting only position players with four straight top 10 picks after he was hired.

You had me until Russell for Samardzija. Not sure which of those two has been worse overall. Both have been below average.

I thought Russell was supposed to be the second coming of Alex Rodriguez. Was surprised when he wasn't starting against us in the last series. His offensive numbers aren't good at all. Not Arcia bad but not good, even for a SS.

I thought Russell was supposed to be the second coming of Alex Rodriguez. Was surprised when he wasn't starting against us in the last series. His offensive numbers aren't good at all. Not Arcia bad but not good, even for a SS.

B-ref has him at 2.5 WAR right now. He might not be the second coming of A-Roid but he's a decent player.

Archer gave up 4 runs in 5 innings today but he struck out 7 and didn't walk anyone so his FIP was an amazing, ace like, best pitcher ever 0.36.

Those stats sum up exactly who Chris Archer is... average and overrated.

Exactly.

I'm so glad we did not unload for him and I thought this way before he was traded. He seemed to decline from what considered ace material after the first half of last year.

I really thought samardzija was gonna be a stud for years..what happened to that guy? He hasn't been the same since he went to the White Sox.

Archived