Brewer Fanatic

Archer to Pirates for Meadows/Glasnow/Baz

And That
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Sports Solutions

Chris Archer goes from ...

A Rays team that ranked 11th in turning ground balls and bunt grounders into outs (74.6% out rate)

to

A Pirates team that ranks last in turning ground balls and bunt grounders into outs (70.7% out rate)

Glasgow is still young and pitching better recently. Don’t know what people are talking about when they say Meadows is also failing, he’s hit .292 in 165 PA and he’s only 23. He’s a beast.

Word is that the third piece is significant.

If that third piece isn't big, i think this is a good trade for the Pirates.

Glasnow looks like a bust and Meadows hasn't lived up to his earlier prospect status.

Meadows is 23 and has 150 career ABs. A little premature to say if he is or isn't living up to prospect status.

Glasnow looks like a bust and Meadows hasn't lived up to his earlier prospect status.

Bob Nightengale:

The player to be named in the Chris Archer trade, according to a #Rays official, is hardly a throw-in or fringe prospect. It's a player of significant value.

Bob Nightengale:

The player to be named in the Chris Archer trade, according to a #Rays official, is hardly a throw-in or fringe prospect. It's a player of significant value.

Wonder if the PTBNL is linked at all to how the Pirate finish the season (playoffs or not)?? It would be similar to the CC acquisition from Cleveland. Since Crew made the playoffs, the PTBNL was Brantley. If the Crew hadn't it would have been someone else (that didn't have as much of a career & is out of the game already)....

Meadows is 23 and has 150 career ABs. A little premature to say if he is or isn't living up to prospect status.

I would say the same about Glasgow. Both were outstanding talents and extremely highly rated coming into the season. I think it comes down to this, if you want to make trades all the time and devalue prospects, they're two disappointing pieces because they haven't come out of the gates red hot. If you like prospects, you see all the controllable years and the upside to those two players...and if the third is a significant piece?

I'm really just happy the Pirates made the move, not us. That's a ton to give up for Archer.

I wanted Archer, but not for that price tag. It does boggle my mind a little that Pittsburgh seems to be in the old Brewers mold of either being bad or close to good but make silly choices that hurts them in the long run. Here’s hoping this continues that !

I wanted Archer, but not for that price tag. It does boggle my mind a little that Pittsburgh seems to be in the old Brewers mold of either being bad or close to good but make silly choices that hurts them in the long run. Here’s hoping this continues that !

If Archer does well for the Pirates, they'll have a pretty good rotation and their offense picked up once a few guys got out of slumps.

This narrative just isn't true, but it's repeated here all the time. The Sabathia and Greinke deals have been discussed ad nauseum, with both deals looking fine in hindsight (Considering the return we got for Greinke when we flipped him) The only other time the Brewers traded away a prospect of note was the Brett Lawrie for Shaun Marcum deal which was pretty much another wash. Since then they haven't even really had any blue-chip prospects to trade except for Arcia, and time will tell whether we should have traded him. We held onto Wily Peralta, and perhaps we SHOULD have traded him.

They made a number of FA signings for middling starting pitching, but I'm not sure those resources could have been spent any better as we have always needed more pitching and Suppan, Wolf, Lohse, Garza etc. were the best we could get at that time. Aramis Ramirez was another veteran signing, and he was outstanding as a Brewer.

Everybody wanted to blow it up after the 2012 season, but we didn't. Instead we had a huge division lead in August of 2014 and fell apart. That was a near playoff miss but has somehow been turned into a "See! We should have sold off after 2012!" After that, we sold off Gomez and then Lucroy for very good returns with only one real down year in 2016. One bad year out of 12 isn't too bad, although more playoff success would have been nice.

We could have traded Prince Fielder, but we won 96 games in 2011 and had a real shot to win the World Series. For a franchise with an empty trophy case you just can't trade away your best player in a season like that.

Otherwise, I'm not actually sure what Melvin was supposed to do other than draft better, and drafting is about 0% of the GMs job.

If Archer does well for the Pirates, they'll have a pretty good rotation and their offense picked up once a few guys got out of slumps.

You mean once almost everyone on their team played way over their heads at the same exact time. Almost none of these guys are as good as they are playing right now, they are just all streaking together.

Archer is one of my favorite players in the majors—a most personable, intelligent human. But he’s not young anymore and he’s been inconsistent. Tyler and Meadows are about right. If that ptbnl really is substantial then I think the Rays got the better of the deal.

I think Meadows and Glasnow is about right for Archer, considering his contract. The 3rd piece could be what puts it clearly in the favor of TB. The belief that Pittsburgh was rebuilding though makes this interesting. If Archer doesn't work out, they could probably recoup some prospects in a trade of Archer, but likely not to the level of what they gave up. Will be interesting to see if this Pittsburgh team is on its last real run for a few years.

I think Meadows and Glasnow is about right for Archer, considering his contract. The 3rd piece could be waht puts it clearly in the favor of TB. The belief that Pittsburgh was rebuilding though makes this interesting. If Archer doesn't work out, they could probably recoup some prospects in a trade of Archer, but likely not to the level of what they gave up. Will be interesting to see if this Pittsburgh team is on its last real run for a few years.

Perhaps I am miss-interpreting your statement (I put in bold), but I think your selling the Pirates short. IMHO the Pirates will be a tough nut to deal with for the next few years.

I will not list them as favorites in the division, but they have a number of pieces under control for the next 3 years. As a baseball fan, I think Pitt made some gutsy moves at this deadline (acquiring Kela & Archer). Time will tell if they are rewarded with a post-season spot for their efforts.

I don't like the Pirates long term either. Polanco and Dickerson have these streaks and then they go back to being awful all the time, I just don't buy it. Marte is a true star so they do have him to build aorund. Diaz's power isn't for real and I doubt Cervelli's is either. The rest of the lineup is below average. Taillon and Archer gives them a decent top of the rotation but the rest of it is pretty blah. I see this Pirates team as a sub .500 team that just got really hot all together for a month. Their minor league system doesn't have a whole lot of high impact players in it anymore either. Maybe they can keep it going this year because sometimes teams do just that, but I do not like their long term outlook.

I don't like the Pirates long term either. Polanco and Dickerson have these streaks and then they go back to being awful all the time, I just don't buy it. Marte is a true star so they do have him to build aorund. Diaz's power isn't for real and I doubt Cervelli's is either. The rest of the lineup is below average. Taillon and Archer gives them a decent top of the rotation but the rest of it is pretty blah. I see this Pirates team as a sub .500 team that just got really hot all together for a month. Their minor league system doesn't have a whole lot of high impact players in it anymore either. Maybe they can keep it going this year because sometimes teams do just that, but I do not like their long term outlook.

I agree with some of this, but Polanco seems to be yet another fabled launch angle guy. His FB% is way up this year and that is part of the reason that the ball is leaving the park much more often.

Dickerson cut his K% in half. Something's going on there as well.

They have great pitching depth behind Archer and Taillon. The Cole trade appears to be a huge mistake, of course.

I'm not sure this is what I'd have done if I was them, but the Pirates have usually been on my list of teams that are at least somewhat well-run (over the past decade or so, that is). They got unlucky last year and we'll see this year if it's luck or if they're really this 85-90 win team that they look like.

wonder if the third piece is KANG!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

man im thrilled to see the pirates trade some of these prospects, get them out of town so they can get a chance to shine!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman

Following Following @JonHeyman

More

Baz is the ptbnl going to rays in Chris Archer deal

2:19 PM - 14 Aug 2018

John Dreker

@JohnDreker

9m9 minutes ago

Breaking news: Shane Baz has been traded to the Rays as the PTBNL

What a haul for the Rays.

Shane Baz | Rank: 4 (Preseason: 3)

Team: Bristol Pirates (ROK) ETA: 2021

Position: RHP Age: 19 DOB: 06/17/1999

Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 3" Weight: 190 lb.

Drafted: 2017, 1st (12) - PIT

Other Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#95)Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Cutter: 60 | Slider: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Baz was a two-way standout at Concordia Lutheran High School in Texas who jumped into top 10 pick conversations for his pitching ability. The Pirates nabbed him at 12 and gave him $4.1 million, a bit over pick value, to sign him away from TCU, joining fellow Concordia product Ke'Bryan Hayes in the organization and making his brief pro debut in the Gulf Coast League.

Baz has a combination of deep repertoire and projection that gives him a very high ceiling. His fastball velocity picked up in his senior year. He'll sit at 92-96 mph and can reach back for 98 mph, with the ability to run and sink it while not losing velocity deep into his starts. He can miss bats with a plus cutter that he can turn into a true slider, and he also spins a distinctly different curveball. His changeup gives him another potential Major League average pitch. A solid athlete, Baz should be able to find the strike zone consistently as he refines his delivery.

Patience will be key for Baz, and the Pirates know a thing or two about developing young pitching. With room to add strength to his athletic frame, Baz could slowly move up the right-handed pitching prospect ranks as he settles in to his pro career.

Archived