Brewer Fanatic

Wilson Ramos to Phillies

Wow some argument here. I think it's as simple as the guy was on the DL with a hamstring, one of the most common injuries to linger and this is a guy that has to crouch 125 times a game. Don't get me wrong, for just cash sure why not? But what would the second guessers be saying if the move was to trade for a guy on the DL for sure to miss two weeks and possibly more and the guy ended up not even playing.

Wow some argument here. I think it's as simple as the guy was on the DL with a hamstring, one of the most common injuries to linger and this is a guy that has to crouch 125 times a game. Don't get me wrong, for just cash sure why not? But what would the second guessers be saying if the move was to trade for a guy on the DL for sure to miss two weeks and possibly more and the guy ended up not even playing.

Honestly? "Oh well, nothing really lost, it was a good risk to take for almost no cost with a potentially large payout."

I get that there was a risk here and these aren't going to payoff every time, but the assumed risk was the only reason he was available for so cheap. Given the cost I think it would have been a good one to roll the dice on. Obviously, so far so good for the Phillies.

Stearns probably had no interest in getting a catcher because the Brewers need a catcher. It makes much more sense to trade for a third baseman when it's not needed, and then move the other third baseman to second base, then trade for a second baseman, but since the third baseman is now at second base, then the new second baseman goes to shortstop.

:laughing :laughing

Honestly? "Oh well, nothing really lost, it was a good risk to take for almost no cost with a potentially large payout."

I get that there was a risk here and these aren't going to payoff every time, but the assumed risk was the only reason he was available for so cheap. Given the cost I think it would have been a good one to roll the dice on. Obviously, so far so good for the Phillies.

Right, just like I said if it's money they sure why not, it's not my money. But, if the guys never played then the negative folks would be saying how dumb it was to pin our catching hopes and team improvement from this guy instead of doing something else.

Stearns probably had no interest in getting a catcher because the Brewers need a catcher. It makes much more sense to trade for a third baseman when it's not needed, and then move the other third baseman to second base, then trade for a second baseman, but since the third baseman is now at second base, then the new second baseman goes to shortstop.

Post of the month! :laughing

Everything I've read has said PTBNL or cash, and I'm guessing the "cash" part of it was a worse-case scenario of him not returning until late in the season if at all due to his injury status. It could very well have been cash IF he didn't return until after a certain date (if at all) and the Phillies miss the playoffs. Could be a different story now that he's back in mid-August, and if the Phillies make the playoffs (and how deep they go).

Everything I've read has said PTBNL or cash, and I'm guessing the "cash" part of it was a worse-case scenario of him not returning until late in the season if at all due to his injury status. It could very well have been cash IF he didn't return until after a certain date (if at all) and the Phillies miss the playoffs. Could be a different story now that he's back in mid-August, and if the Phillies make the playoffs (and how deep they go).

No, again, the Rays have already elected to take the cash.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/reminder-phillies-got-wilson-ramos-almost-nothing

This is a bit of a head scratcher for me. The only thing I can guess here is either the Brewers made a similar offer and Tampa chose Philly or the Brewers just didn't want to lose anyone on the 40 man for another rental. The brewers are not going all in for just this year so losing someone that might help for several years down the road might play a bigger role in this than one might expect.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is a bit of a head scratcher for me. The only thing I can guess here is either the Brewers made a similar offer and Tampa chose Philly or the Brewers just didn't want to lose anyone on the 40 man for another rental. The brewers are not going all in for just this year so losing someone that might help for several years down the road might play a bigger role in this than one might expect.

Don't know why roster management would have or should have been anything of a concern. They would have just DFAed Kratz when Ramos got healthy and Pina would have become the backup. They had an open 40 spot at the trade deadline that Ramos could have been in in the meantime.

Don't know why roster management would have or should have been anything of a concern. They would have just DFAed Kratz when Ramos got healthy and Pina would have become the backup. They had an open 40 spot at the trade deadline that Ramos could have been in in the meantime.

Yea but Ramos wasn't healthy and they'd need a catcher while he was on the shelf and they ended up using that spot on someone who might have a future here. At the time of the trade they didn't know how long he would be out and that would have meant not having a spot for August trades or DFA claims. But it was all just speculation on my part. I think in reality it was Tampa had the choice of two nothing burgers and chose Philly over us.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived