Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-31: Brewers (Miley) at Dodgers (Buehler) 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 1-0 -- Wade Miley pitches a gem w/ 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K]

Eye Black
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really never got that. You slide into 2nd. You slide into third. But if you are coming into home plate, you destroy the catcher like a LB taking out a wide receiver running a crossing route with his eyes closed. Never really got why that was.

"But he's wearing a chest protector!"

I don't mind the new rule, but there is no need to slide into home as once you touch the plate you are no longer in play to get tagged out. You only slide into 2nd and 3rd to slow down quickly and avoid overrunning the bag to get tagged out. A weirder rule is why you get to overrun first base.

It was not ridiculous and we can see why with a play like today's. Blocking the plate is clearly illegal in the rulebook, but why was it allowed over time? Because there are too many situations where it is too difficult to tell and especially without replay it was basically unenforceable. So a good decision was made to allow it to evolve so that the outcome was settled by the players on the field rather than the umpire making an impossible call. If you could not overrun home plate it would be much different, but you can so the runner has no incentive to slow down and they thus they don't. So there was a good reason, its not like all the umpires got together in 1905 and said hey, which of the rules should we agree to not enforce for no good reason?

And just anecdotally I dont the injury rate seemed particularly high. I can't even recall a Brewer catcher leaving a game and going on the DL from a collision although I'm sure it happened.

It was legal because it was legal to block every base when baseball was created. In the early days of baseball it was completely legal for the second basemen to block the base and force you to destroy them to reach the bag. It was only illegal to purposely tackle a player to hold them back and avoid them reaching a base. Over time they have removed the ability to block every other base but home plate. This is just the rules of baseball finally catching up to this one poorly thought out rule.

Arcia smoked a line out to 3B a couple games ago, hit it to deep CF last night and tonight. That's besides the hits and walks hes had on this road trip. I am cautiously optimistic he can be productive. I have no idea what Schoop looks like at SS, but yea that's plan B.

I really never got that. You slide into 2nd. You slide into third. But if you are coming into home plate, you destroy the catcher like a LB taking out a wide receiver running a crossing route with his eyes closed. Never really got why that was.

"But he's wearing a chest protector!"

Because you can't overrun 2nd and 3rd, need to slide in a more controlled way to hold the base.

Baseball is so mental. Aguilar is pressing hard. Not going to be good for him.

He needs to learn to control his emotions and stay relaxed. Whenever I’ve seen him play, he gets very visually upset when he pops out or strikes out, moreso than most. He just doesn’t seem relaxed.

Boy, this deadline deal Stearns picked up is pitching great. Stearns for the win again!

Miley, Chacin, Anderson, Guerra, Peralta, Woodruff give us 6 to count on. Maybe wishful thinking that they can all make their hypothetical scheduled starts the rest of the season. Injuries have impacted half of them and Peralta is entering unchartered waters here in August and September. Exciting to see how this starting staff will evolve the next couple of months plus post season. We may need another guy to come on board to deal with possible attrition.

He needs to learn to control his emotions and stay relaxed. Whenever I’ve seen him play, he gets very visually upset when he pops out or strikes out, moreso than most. He just doesn’t seem relaxed.

Sogard being sent down ruined the team chemistry and Aguilar can't hit anymore, it stinks.

It was not ridiculous and we can see why with a play like today's. Blocking the plate is clearly illegal in the rulebook, but why was it allowed over time? Because there are too many situations where it is too difficult to tell and especially without replay it was basically unenforceable. So a good decision was made to allow it to evolve so that the outcome was settled by the players on the field rather than the umpire making an impossible call. If you could not overrun home plate it would be much different, but you can so the runner has no incentive to slow down and they thus they don't. So there was a good reason, its not like all the umpires got together in 1905 and said hey, which of the rules should we agree to not enforce for no good reason?

And just anecdotally I dont the injury rate seemed particularly high. I can't even recall a Brewer catcher leaving a game and going on the DL from a collision although I'm sure it happened.

It was legal because it was legal to block every base when baseball was created. In the early days of baseball it was completely legal for the second basemen to block the base and force you to destroy them to reach the bag. It was only illegal to purposely tackle a player to hold them back and avoid them reaching a base. Over time they have removed the ability to block every other base but home plate. This is just the rules of baseball finally catching up to this one poorly thought out rule.

And that worked itself out because the players had cleats and the 2nd baseman did not have shin guards. So it became a non issue because of the players, always the preferable outcome. My point is that extra, complicated judgement based rules make things worse, not better. Now you are suggesting the umpire needs to make a judgement call about whether or not the throw took the catcher into the baseline or if he went for some other reason?

Miley on pace for a rare 7 inning stint from a starter.

HIGHLY doubtful... It's not the way CC rolls.

Sorry but that's not really fair. CC has no problem with a starter going 7. It's been rare a starter is still pitching great into the 7th. Beyond that, most games have been close, so they need the PH. Finally, when it's a close call, you learn towards the strength of the team.... the pen.

I guess this is obvious, but I didn't see that when things were going good. Has to get back to that.

And that worked itself out because the players had cleats and the 2nd baseman did not have shin guards. So it became a non issue because of the players, always the preferable outcome. My point is that extra, complicated judgement based rules make things worse, not better. Now you are suggesting the umpire needs to make a judgement call about whether or not the throw took the catcher into the baseline or if he went for some other reason?

No it didn't. They have modified the rules dozens of times to protect the fielders because the original rules were so bad. Sure in Ty Cobbs day you would just spike a guy but before his day you could just plow into him and destroy him and it was legal, that rule was changed along the way. Then the rule to spike a guy was changed. Then the guy to take out a guys leg was changed. Then the neighborhood play was added. These things have been changed over and over to make the rules make more sense. Player safety is way more important than how the game was meant to be played at this point, because the game is nothing like what it was when it was created.

I guess this is obvious, but I didn't see that when things were going good. Has to get back to that.

The last game I went to was the last day of May, while he was hot. I was on the third base side and could see his reactions to routine outs...overreacted a bit. I could be wrong but I don’t see quite the same anger from other guys on the Brewers. Maybe I’m wrong.

Boy, this deadline deal Stearns picked up is pitching great. Stearns for the win again!

Miley, Chacin, Anderson, Guerra, Peralta, Woodruff give us 6 to count on. Maybe wishful thinking that they can all make their hypothetical scheduled starts the rest of the season. Injuries have impacted half of them and Peralta is entering unchartered waters here in August and September. Exciting to see how this starting staff will evolve the next couple of months plus post season. We may need another guy to come on board to deal with possible attrition.

Don’t forget about Davies. He’s almost back. For me, I’m actually liking that it’s a rag tag bunch of forgottens. Hopefully they continue to shut people up marching towards a playoff spot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived