Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m not sure how much scouting can still be done in the next 3 hours lol

yea, presumably it's been done already and you have to take what the scouts say into consideration. Although since the Nats weren't likely sellers maybe they didn't plan on him at all, but teams have scouts out all the time in general for future matchups. Plus, we just played them. Or you can probably watch every pitch he's thrown the last two months in about 20 mins if you really want.

Before Davies:

Chacin

Anderson

Gonzales

Guerra

Miley/Peralta

After Davies:

Chacin

Anderson

Gonzales

Guerra

Davies

This could work. Is it a dream rotation? No. But it’s good enough to get to our pen.

In this market, I could endorse that plan.

Gio Gonzalez is a guy who could do wonders for the rotation down the stretch. He would be a guy that I would feel comfortable with in a Wild Card game or using in a playoff series a couple times. He has playoff experience and can be a big difference maker for us. Pairing him with DJ could really bring out the best in him.

This move would anger me.

He is nothing but an innings eater and a "guy" to add to the roster. He is not a guy a contending team should be looking at.

1.45 whip, walks a TON of guys, almost a 4 ERA.

This screams desperation for a player we really aren't in desperate need of.

This move would anger me...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This move would anger me.

He is nothing but an innings eater and a "guy" to add to the roster. He is not a guy a contending team should be looking at.

1.45 whip, walks a TON of guys, almost a 4 ERA.

This screams desperation for a player we really aren't in desperate need of.

This move would anger me...

Assuming we give up no valued prospects. Why would you be angry over having him instead of Wade Miley starting games in a playoff stretch?

I know there are lots of guys saying they haven't been blown away by a trade offer for their starting pitching, but don't people say that every year and then guys get traded at the last minute?

I find it hard to believe the Brewers can't do better than Gio Gonzalez, even without wanting to trade their top 3 (Hiura, Burnes, Peralta).

If we give up ANYTHING of value for Gonzalez (meaning anything more than, say, what we gave up for Neil Walker), I'd be sorely disappointed.

I know there are lots of guys saying they haven't been blown away by a trade offer for their starting pitching, but don't people say that every year and then guys get traded at the last minute?

I find it hard to believe the Brewers can't do better than Gio Gonzalez, even without wanting to trade their top 3 (Hiura, Burnes, Peralta).

If we give up ANYTHING of value for Gonzalez (meaning anything more than, say, what we gave up for Neil Walker), I'd be sorely disappointed.

The Brewers are in an interesting position. We've got a really good team this year built on an OK pitching staff, lock-down bullpen, and great defense. However, we have a deep farm system that should help us stay competitive for the next 4-5 years but the depth of it is important.

So we lost a little pitching depth. Stearns offers modest/lowball offers for guys like Wheeler that may be considered an upgrade. Then he goes and offers even less for Harvey and Gio.

Just take whatever comes to you. All we need is pitching depth. If we're talking rentals, is there truly that much better out there than Gio that hasn't already been dealt? You have to weigh this with the idea of Archer or Wheeler costing something that will hurt our future quite a bit.

I’m not sure how much scouting can still be done in the next 3 hours lol

Assuming that teams have reams of scouting footage on everybody in this digital age, especially someone that's been the league for quite awhile. I like the idea of getting GG.... I think having a stabilizing veteran in the rotation who shouldn't cost us a ton and who has better numbers than other rentals this year (at least Hamels) is a win. Get'er done David Stearns!!

Community Moderator
Saw an article with a quote from a rival executive regarding the high prices on Nat's rental players: "It's like their ownership group told them to sell, but the front office doesn't want to do it."

It sounded like the opposite to me...the front office started trying to sell and ownership vetoed it. Either way it was an error that may prove to be costly.

Gio should be a guy to look at. Expiring contract but is still effective. Would be owed $2-3 million for the rest of the year. This rotation could use a nice veteran boost!

The Nats are back in the race so I don't think he'll be getting dealt.

I agree that I don't think the Nats deal anyone, but since the deadline the have dropped .5 game. They haven't made up any ground in their division.

Gio should be a guy to look at. Expiring contract but is still effective. Would be owed $2-3 million for the rest of the year. This rotation could use a nice veteran boost!

I agree that I don't think the Nats deal anyone, but since the deadline the have dropped .5 game. They haven't made up any ground in their division.

Yeah, if they are within any type of striking range they would probably just keep him. But if they are out of it, he could be an end of August trade.

But he would still have to clear the teams below us in records. So a team could want him or claim him just to block us or their division rival.

Between my post and your post the Nats went 0-2 against the Braves. The situation can change quickly with a handful of games.

When I posted that, they had just beaten the Braves in game 1 of the doubleheader on Tuesday. They had Scherzer in the nightcap (and lost) and seemed to be rolling.

Had they won the Scherzer game and last night's, they'd have been 2.5 behind the Dodgers (Braves knocked out of WC #2 slot) and a manageable 4 behind the Phillies with a bunch of matchups coming up.

• 2 weeks later...
It's just hard for me to get excited about the names being thrown around like Gonzalez and Harvey. Are any of these guys upgrades from any of Chacin, Anderson, Miley, Peralta, Guerra or a healthy Davies? If not, what is the point?

Yeah, let's face it - these names all suck! I'd honestly rather take my chances with Woodruff in the rotation than adding Harvey or Gio. We have no idea what Davies can provide down the stretch here, but that is also a guy that has been so good for us in the 2nd halves of the past two seasons. Hopefully he can get himself back into a groove and can be another guy to help our this rotation.

At this stage, I think we're better off looking to add another bullpen arm, as I think there might be better options out there.

Archived