Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won’t hold my breath getting any Nationals player til lit happens. The price probably won’t be dirt cheap to pry someone away.

If they trade anyone, they may as well have a fire sale of rentals. There is no point to hold out for a premium on Gonzalez if they just traded Harper or Herrera or whoever.

Gonzalez has little surplus value without money coming back with him. If the Nats pay a chunk of the remainder of his salary, maybe a couple of 45 OFP prospects - Ponce and Feliciano range.

I'd rather pay the full contract that remains and keep the prospect cost down.

So, they're willing to trade Gio but not Harper, because they're still in the race? Gonzales isn't really a difference maker; he's a decent innings eater. This would drive me crazy if I was a Nats fan. Either you're in it or your not. When you could extract a decent amount of value with Harper, they ought to decide one way or another. In that division, or for the entire NL for that matter, I wouldn't sell if I was their GM. There is not powerhouse; just have to get hot.

So, they're willing to trade Gio but not Harper, because they're still in the race? Gonzales isn't really a difference maker; he's a decent innings eater. This would drive me crazy if I was a Nats fan. Either you're in it or your not. When you could extract a decent amount of value with Harper, they ought to decide one way or another. In that division, or for the entire NL for that matter, I wouldn't sell if I was their GM. There is not powerhouse; just have to get hot.

The Nats are in this position:

They have a good roster that could explode and make a comeback to the playoffs.

However, a lot of it is near the end of their contracts and they're in a bad spot in the standings.

They're putting their players on the block. If someone offers a lot, take it. If nobody offers much, just take your chances at a miracle playoff run.

Everyone's on the block but they probably won't move much if the offers aren't there.

He's probably a better gamble than the Cubs getting Hamels. I get he's not much of an improvement if any, but he would add depth and the Brewers don't want to get caught short like the did last year. In theory, lefties should match up better against the Reds and even the Cubs with Bryant out.

The Nats are 5.5 games back and trail two young teams who have been scuffling around for the past 6 weeks - I see them buying more than selling today, or just standing pat. If they crater over the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised for them to make some waiver trades in August from the same group of veteran rentals they may be fielding offers for right now.

Looking at their remaining schedule, if they get a bit healthier I actually expect them to still win their division.

I would assume we'd be giving up next to nothing to get him, in that case he's clearly an upgrade to Miley. Also, his last game was 7 inning 1 run, so maybe he's breaking out of his slump. As long as there isn't some dip in velocity going on or a nagging injury we wouldn't know about I don't see how he's not a more trustable pitcher than Miley.

This is what I saw coming. Yea, he walks around certain hitters but has proven all year he can make that work. No, we're not getting Nolan Ryan here, but he is an upgrade and will cost very little. And who said he would be the only SP they're adding?

For those who think this will all fizzle out today, stay tuned. Deals will be flying this afternoon.

Before Davies:

Chacin

Anderson

Gonzales

Guerra

Miley/Peralta

After Davies:

Chacin

Anderson

Gonzales

Guerra

Davies

This could work. Is it a dream rotation? No. But it’s good enough to get to our pen.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Funny that Nats GM says they're in it to win.....but Gio is available hahaha.

Well they'll get Strasburg back in about a week or so, and Roark did look like his old self in beating the Brewers last week. Maybe they're in on Harvey or Fiers and just want to clear some money?

Guy had a sub 3 ERA last year. Was at 2.1 through May. A few bad starts since then doesn't mean he's trash for good. He's had 2-3 really bad ones to inflate the ERA and the rest are about what we've been getting out of guys, 5-6 innings 2-3 runs. So basically his worst case like he's been the last few weeks is what we're currently getting, if he reverts to his normal self we're miles ahead. This is one that is likely going to need some real scouting to determine what's been up with him the last few weeks.

Archived