Brewer Fanatic

Calm before the storm

Archer worries me but Kyle Gibson worries me 100 times more.

I don't want any part of him.

Don't you guys believe that DJ AND the NL AND not the AL East AND a contender would do wonders for Archer? As I've stated before his numbers have gotten better this year from his first month or so... but mentally, don't you think it would be a different animal if he came here? Or is that more like chasing a ghost?

It's probably like chasing a ghost. He seems like the type of guy that's trying pretty hard in Tampa anyways and I'm not giving up top prospects because I think a guy is going to try harder in my organization.

If they do think there is something they can "fix" in him, then go for it.

I think all the hope and dreaming comes from us all salivating at trying to get somebody who can go 6 plus instead of the 4 we are used to. Yes having a strong bullpen helps and is nice, but as we saw in that stretch , that can heavily tax the pen, and is not a long term success you can depend on. Can it work? Of course. But would be real nice to have a TOR/2-3 type guy that goes innings. Those options (that we KNOW of) are limited.

Who knows what happens today. It is exciting for now though!

Don't you guys believe that DJ AND the NL AND not the AL East AND a contender would do wonders for Archer? As I've stated before his numbers have gotten better this year from his first month or so... but mentally, don't you think it would be a different animal if he came here? Or is that more like chasing a ghost?

It's probably like chasing a ghost. He seems like the type of guy that's trying pretty hard in Tampa anyways and I'm not giving up top prospects because I think a guy is going to try harder in my organization.

If they do think there is something they can "fix" in him, then go for it.

I think all the hope and dreaming comes from us all salivating at trying to get somebody who can go 6 plus instead of the 4 we are used to. Yes having a strong bullpen helps and is nice, but as we saw in that stretch , that can heavily tax the pen, and is not a long term success you can depend on. Can it work? Of course. But would be real nice to have a TOR/2-3 type guy that goes innings. Those options (that we KNOW of) are limited.

Who knows what happens today. It is exciting for now though!

That is why I tread with caution. I don't want to overpay for someone like Archer. We have 30 days to go before we don't have to worry about the bullpen being taxed anymore this year. I understand that we're short of a starter or two that can help the bullpen out, but it is what it is this year.

I trust Stearns if they think they get the right deal for any controllable starting pitcher, but I don't want to derail the window of contention we have here to save 10 innings that have to be covered by middling relievers.

I guess with that strategy, he will get us another bullpen arm then... I think we need something more , don't we? Especially for the pitching staff. I think there is a lot to be had on the cheap too. Seems like it will be an off the radar move, just like the first two moves. Seems how he operates, and I love it.

This will be like when they think a huge snow storm is coming and they cancel school but it ends up with a few flurries and mostly sunny. Parents will be on social media all day calling the superintendent a moron for doing it and the superintendent will release a response saying he did it in the best interest of the students, staff and families of the district.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I guess with that strategy, he will get us another bullpen arm then... I think we need something more , don't we? Especially for the pitching staff. I think there is a lot to be had on the cheap too. Seems like it will be an off the radar move, just like the first two moves. Seems how he operates, and I love it.

I'm for a controllable pitcher if the price is right...but I agree that we could get by with another reliever and/or a garbage man starter like Matt Harvey to cover a few starts.

This will be like when they think a huge snow storm is coming and they cancel school but it ends up with a few flurries and mostly sunny. Parents will be on social media all day calling the superintendent a moron for doing it and the superintendent will release a response saying he did it in the best interest of the students, staff and families of the district.

:laughing :laughing

Trade deadlines are often like this. Visions of grander and nothing. lol.

Given that teams know they're out of contention earlier, other teams want a larger window with their rental or shorter-control player, etc. teams are making all of their deals all through July instead of right at the deadline. I'm not expecting a huge flurry of moves.

I think it could ultimately be this today. It was like this after Yelich/Cain day. Everyone expected, was certain about additional movement, was certain about another pitcher, but they rolled with who they have.

Now we have Davies nearing a return, no room for Woodruff, our best starting pitching prospect is in the pen, and yet people still will be shocked if we don't add another pitcher. Why?

I think it could ultimately be this today. It was like this after Yelich/Cain day. Everyone expected, was certain about additional movement, was certain about another pitcher, but they rolled with who they have.

Now we have Davies nearing a return, no room for Woodruff, our best starting pitching prospect is in the pen, and yet people still will be shocked if we don't add another pitcher. Why?

I think you’re maybe overestimating how soon Davies will be ready

Why? He just had a rehab start 3 days ago which went really well, it's not like he's just starting to throw from a mound again.

I would tend to be cautious on Davies as well, just because he's had so many setbacks with this injury and he generally wasn't sharp pre-injury.

Archer worries me but Kyle Gibson worries me 100 times more.

I don't want any part of him.

He would also be going from an extreme pitchers park to a hitters park.

Why? He just had a rehab start 3 days ago which went really well, it's not like he's just starting to throw from a mound again.

I would tend to be cautious on Davies as well, just because he's had so many setbacks with this injury and he generally wasn't sharp pre-injury.

Ditto Grande on this.

But would be real nice to have a TOR/2-3 type guy that goes innings. Those options (that we KNOW of) are limited.

"That we know of" is the key phrase. I think there's more sellers out there than we know. Nationals announced it, but I can see the Giants, Cards, and others beyond the sellers we already know about- and that's a lot of teams. I don't know how many TOR guys are out there, but I'll bet there's plenty of 2/3 guys to be had.

Elephant in the room is whether Stearns gets the best SP he can without giving up the big prospects, or if he goes all in for a big time SOP with control and/or Realmuto.

Ditto Grande on this.

I likened him to a wet far yesterday (Davies) with how he has been this year. And he looked good in his first rehab start the first time, then got rocked up here. I believe the second time he rehabbed he looked good for one then was hurt again. I will take his progress with a grain of salt. We all know he has a bad first month usually too, so hopefully we don't get the reset button on his year hit since he's missed so much time already this year. He just scares me, always has, because of the homers he gives up.

As for the "that we know of" - i mean that literally, because DS seems to operate in the shadows. And THAT is what will get us bang for our buck!!

I think it would be shocking (and disappointing), if they don't add a starter. If they don't bring in another starter- even if it's a blah rental like Harvey- that is a pretty big gamble, IMO.

Peralta is going to have to be shut down at some point, expecting Miley to continue being passable is a huge gamble, and who knows what Davies will be when he comes back- if he even makes it all the way back.

If you don't add some type of depth for the rotation, you could be an injury away from Aaron Wilkerson starting games in Sept with the playoffs on the line.

I think it would be shocking (and disappointing), if they don't add a starter. If they don't bring in another starter- even if it's a blah rental like Harvey- that is a pretty big gamble, IMO.

Peralta is going to have to be shut down at some point, expecting Miley to continue being passable is a huge gamble, and who knows what Davies will be when he comes back- if he even makes it all the way back.

If you don't add some type of depth for the rotation, you could be an injury away from Aaron Wilkerson starting games in Sept with the playoffs on the line.

For some reason Wade Miley reminds me of Doug Jones when we had him as a closer. It was fun, it was always terrifying, and yet you still had no clue how he got positive results with what he was tossing up there.

I agree with the perception we need a decent starter. But another bullpen addition might be the method as well. To not get SOME arm would be silly , I do believe.

Archived