Brewer Fanatic

Calm before the storm

After Stearns acquired Moustakas it has been pretty quiet on the Brewers front. The talking heads are linking the Brewers to a SP but there really doesn't seem to be much traction there. Archer and Wheeler are high price tags and according to pundits, may not even be dealt. No news on the Gibson and Gausman fronts. The two moves Stearns has made have been off the radar moves - nobody had us linked to Soria and there were very few rumors about Moustakas. Is this just the calm before the storm or do we think Stearns actually stands pat and maybe thinks about moves in August?

7 hours and 25 minutes remain...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think they find a way to grab a starting pitcher today. I'd be very surprised if they didn't. My hope would be for one of the younger controllable guys over one of the "meh" rentals.

A solid catcher would be nice, too, but the pickings are pretty slim unless they want to go crazy on Realmuto.

Harper would be fun, and he would be a cash cow for the team through the end of the season. Hard to see that happening. It would make one heck of a "dream team" lineup , though.

I DO NOT want this to happen, but a little voice in the back of my head keeps indicating that Travis Shaw may not be a Brewer when the dust settles this afternoon. I hope that voice is an idiot.

The starter market has been quiet because none of the guys are really TOR where you would rush to make a deal ASAP. Also none of them are pitching today or yesterday so no reason to squeeze in their start before the deadline. Most pitched 2-3 days ago.

As I expected most of those starters weren’t going to be traded till today.

I DO NOT want this to happen, but a little voice in the back of my head keeps indicating that Travis Shaw may not be a Brewer when the dust settles this afternoon. I hope that voice is an idiot.

I have heard people proposing the same thing but I can't see it happening. Moustakas is due $15 million next year and we would have no replacement for Shaw for next year. Plus, Shaw is still cheap and controllable.

I think they find a way to grab a starting pitcher today. I'd be very surprised if they didn't. My hope would be for one of the younger controllable guys over one of the "meh" rentals.

A solid catcher would be nice, too, but the pickings are pretty slim unless they want to go crazy on Realmuto.

Harper would be fun, and he would be a cash cow for the team through the end of the season. Hard to see that happening. It would make one heck of a "dream team" lineup , though.

Well I was really wondering why everyone thinks Shaw will be traded. But when I look at the Twinkies situation, I could actually see them wanting Shaw (I don't know much about Sano).

So Gibson and Dozier for Shaw and Ortiz? They get three controllable years of Shaw.

Well I was really wondering why everyone thinks Shaw will be traded. But when I look at the Twinkies situation, I could actually see them wanting Shaw (I don't know much about Sano).

So Gibson and Dozier for Shaw and Ortiz? They get three controllable years of Shaw.

That last sentence is why it makes no sense to me for them to trade away Shaw. There is no replacement at 3B for 2019 on the roster, unless the mutual option for Moose is picked up which is highly unlikely (if he performs well, he will decline; if he doesn't, the Brewers will buy him out).

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That last sentence is why it makes no sense to me for them to trade away Shaw. There is no replacement at 3B for 2019 on the roster, unless the mutual option for Moose is picked up which is highly unlikely (if he performs well, he will decline; if he doesn't, the Brewers will buy him out).

If Erceg was putting up better numbers in Biloxi, I'd be more at ease with it. He hasn't been great, though, and beyond him, the cupboard is pretty bare at 3B. I'd hate to take a step back and have to depend on the Hernan Perez's and Brad Miller's of the world at the hot corner.

I'm going back and forth between a big splash and nothing - every time I think of getting Realmuto I get visions of Hiura being an MVP bat, but every time I think of that I get visions of his elbow never being right and ending up as a poor fielding outfielder.

If the Brewers really like Gibson, they will figure out 3B in the offseason. Machado :tongue

Actually I thought there were 2+ years of Gibson left. There is only 1+ years left. Would revise offer down.

I am not a fan of trading for Dozier and I think we're going with this Shaw at 2B thing.

I'm much more confident in Shaw's defense at 2B not being a huge factor than I am in Dozier's magical 2nd halves. That is something I would never chase...and right now he's been terrible since the ASB.

I do like Gibson.

I am not a fan of trading for Dozier and I think we're going with this Shaw at 2B thing.

I'm much more confident in Shaw's defense at 2B not being a huge factor than I am in Dozier's magical 2nd halves. That is something I would never chase...and right now he's been terrible since the ASB.

I do like Gibson.

I know its early but Moose hasn't been very impressive so far. Yes, its only been three games but he has also had a pretty bad July. Hoping he picks it up a bit.

I do like Gibson.

I know its early but Moose hasn't been very impressive so far. Yes, its only been three games but he has also had a pretty bad July. Hoping he picks it up a bit.

I'm not doubling down with a crappier player in Dozier and trading out Shaw's control for it. Mous will be fine.

Forget Harper, if they get another bat it will be a RH hitter. They could use one more solid RH bat to go up against the Dodgers and Cubs LH heavy rotations. No idea if they add another bat.

I do agree I will be very surprised if they don't get a SP. Even if it's a very marginal arm like Gio Gonzalez. When Miley and Peralta are your 4/5, and Davies is a question mark, even a marginal innings eating SP would help. (Yet I'm sure they're aiming higher than that.)

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if they get another bullpen arm. Williams looks shaky, and not convinced Albers will return to form. Again, doesn't have to be a jaw-dropping trade, just a guy better than Williams- preferably LH.

I'd like Harper... and deGrom... and Thor... and Realmuto as much as the next guy....

But... Would be happy with Archer and Ramos from the Rays. I really think Archer would be a better pitcher in our system, and out of the AL East... I really do. And those two would probably cost less than a lot of other combos we have banded about.

For some reason I think we will remain quiet today though, and that would be a little disappointing honestly lol.

I think if something does happen, its going to be a surprise pick for someone we haven't been linked to very much.

That has pretty much been the case with the first two trades. I'm going with a long shot and say they acquire Avisaíl García for Domingo Santana, has one more year of control and fits their righty need.

I have this odd feeling that Harper will be a Yankee later today, which would be extremely frustrating...and my guess is the Yankees will give up next to nothing for Harper because that's how it always works with that franchise.

As long as he doesn't become a Cub... I'm ok with it. They can stack the AL all they want - bash each other's brains out... we will be waiting for the best in the WS :)

Chris Archer worries me but Kyle Gibson worries me 100 times more.

Why is everyone ignoring that he had a ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.50 each of the past two seasons?

I don't want any part of him.

I will predict that Stearns does nothing today.

No storm.

After Peraltas performance last night they simply have to pick up a starter. The potential is clearly there but you can’t have a key starter throw 80 pitches in 3 innings.

I’ve given up that the Brewers will fix the 2B/3B mess. They can’t trade Shaw because they won’t a 3B next year. As long as balls are hit directly at Shaw and we don’t need ground ball DPs I guess it doesn’t matter.

Archer worries me but Kyle Gibson worries me 100 times more.

Archer throws a hard fastball and slider basically as his only pitches. Lose 2 MPH and he's worse than he already is and may barely crack a rotation. Yes, he also has a high ceiling with his stuff if he keeps the velocity on those pitches if the Brewers find some sort of tweak to fix his hard contact issues (not sure what that is?)

Gibson is not the "lucky" guy everyone is assuming him to be. He changed his pitch mix last year and has been great ever since. Adjustments like that are things that I can trust and it is not some fluke.

Don't you guys believe that DJ AND the NL AND not the AL East AND a contender would do wonders for Archer? As I've stated before his numbers have gotten better this year from his first month or so... but mentally, don't you think it would be a different animal if he came here? Or is that more like chasing a ghost?

Don't you guys believe that DJ AND the NL AND not the AL East AND a contender would do wonders for Archer? As I've stated before his numbers have gotten better this year from his first month or so... but mentally, don't you think it would be a different animal if he came here? Or is that more like chasing a ghost?

It's probably like chasing a ghost. He seems like the type of guy that's trying pretty hard in Tampa anyways and I'm not giving up top prospects because I think a guy is going to try harder in my organization.

If they do think there is something they can "fix" in him, then go for it.

I think it's a slow day from the Brewer's side, though I'd expect either a rental starter or an additional bullpen arm. I think the position players are set.

I think Harper gets traded along with the Gio Gonzales to the Indians for something including Bieber and Chang.

Archived