Brewer Fanatic

Pirates Acquire Keone Kela

Eye Black
Community Moderator

Big trade acquisition for the Pirates. They get reliever Keone Kela from the Rangers. Kela is under control through the 2021 season.

Initial MLB Trade Rumors story...

The Pirates have a deal in place to acquire righty Keone Kela from the Rangers, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). Kela, who has worked as the Texas closer, did not warm up for a save situation in tonight’s still-ongoing contest. Two prospects are going back in return, Jon Heyman of Fancred reports on Twitter.

Update: Pirates pitching prospect Taylor Hearn was announced as one of the PTBNL. Hearn is generally regarded as a player in the back half of the Pirates top 10 prospects. Sounds like the other player should be announced today. Both players were initially announced as PTBNL because the teams weren’t able to notify them of the trade in the middle of the night.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know the reliever isn't a rental. Does it seem like a referendum that the Pirates do not think that highly of the Brewers (and/or DBacks)?

No, it's simply a team that's had a hot streak, and is within striking distance of the Wild Card. I expect the Pirates to revert to the mean as a sub .500 team, or close to that level.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know the reliever isn't a rental. Does it seem like a referendum that the Pirates do not think that highly of the Brewers (and/or DBacks)?

I think the Pirates are betting on themselves. They have a good, young club and a solid farm system.

Archived