Brewer Fanatic

Lance Lynn to Yankees

One less suitor for Chris Archer I would imagine

Still with Archer? I feel like people on this board put him in the same group as the Scherzer's, DeGrom's, or Sale's of the league. You really want to give up multiple top 10 prospects for a declining 30 year old pitcher? DeGrom or Syndegaard? Sure...but please no Archer.

I wasn't any type of supporter of adding Lynn. Earlier today I made a post about Lynn in the Transaction Proposal Forum, and noted that he's put together a decent enough ERA if one subtracts out the train-wreck month he had in April. However, the peripherals are still not very good. He might end up being a decent pickup when considering the price. I speculated the Brewers could get him for 1 fringe prospect. The Yankees ended up trading what appears to be a AAAA player plus a fringe prospect, but the Twins also kicked in money seemingly to help the Yankees luxury tax situation which probably why there were two pieces heading back to the Twins instead of just one.

I just didn't think he'd be any type of an upgrade over what the Brewers had and just didn't like the idea of trying to fit him into the rotation while seeing if injury to another player would result in him being needed. Is Anderson, Chacin, Peralta, Guerra, Miley that bad where we need to fit Lynn in for insurance? Well I don't like Miley and figure there is an implosion on the near horizon but that's what Woodruff is for. Now adding someone like Gausman, that would be different. But for the Yankees, they had some issues with the back end of their rotation and Tanaka and Sabathia concern me. Lynn isn't as bad as the 5.10 ERA indicates, he might prove to be a decent pickup for the Yankees when considering the price-tag.

Still with Archer? I feel like people on this board put him in the same group as the Scherzer's, DeGrom's, or Sale's of the league. You really want to give up multiple top 10 prospects for a declining 30 year old pitcher? DeGrom or Syndegaard? Sure...but please no Archer.

Not a single person on the board puts him in that group. I don't know anyone who wants to trade Huira or Burnes (maybe some said burnes). The other pitchers you mentioned would cost both huira and burnes plus others. Archer is good at the right value. The other thing is the Brewers could see something in Archer that they think can be tweaked to make him more effective. They have done that before.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've never seen a player on a different team that causes so much divisiveness among the posters here. Is Archer an ace pitcher? That's debatable, but on this team in 2018, he almost certainly would be.

Wow. Really strange year for Lynn. 3.38 ERA in 6 years with St Louis (with no year over 4.00). Over 5 ERA with the Twins. I'm curious how he will do as a Yank. Seems his BB/9 is the main stat out of whack with his career numbers.

Wow. Really strange year for Lynn. 3.38 ERA in 6 years with St Louis (with no year over 4.00). Over 5 ERA with the Twins. I'm curious how he will do as a Yank. Seems his BB/9 is the main stat out of whack with his career numbers.

I think I saw something today that his ERA since some date (I wanna say mid-may) is in that 3.4-5 area he's accustomed to. But now he's also go to the AL east as opposed to the garbage AL central (other than Cle).

So the Twins will end up paying ~8 million to Lynn for his subpar services and they get Austin and Rijo out of it. I know nothing of the two returns, was it worth it for Minnesota? Maybe it was still a good signing..

No, I don't think it was worth it.

Austin is almost 27 years old and has been uninspiring in several call ups over the last few years. He has struck out 53 times (vs 8 walks) in 132 plate appearances this season. That's a 40%+ K rate. He's got a little pop, but nothing that screams special. Perhaps if given an extended chance he'll come around. Wouldn't be the first guy that just needed an opportunity.

Rijo is a teenage arm from Venezuela. Good numbers, but no special tools. He's not ranked in the MLB Top 30. So he's just a flyer.

Not a great return for $8M. But who would have thought Lynn would perform so poorly.

I think I saw something today that his ERA since some date (I wanna say mid-may) is in that 3.4-5 area he's accustomed to. But now he's also go to the AL east as opposed to the garbage AL central (other than Cle).

Well, maybe not going through any Spring Training and signing so late while starting the season pitching every 5 days. First 8 starts-7.47ERA 5 weeks worth of time. Since then 7 of 12 quality starts with only 1 bad start below 5IP.

I think the Yankees will make out fairly well in this deal while Minnesota is hoping on a lottery ticket.

Was this worth it for them? Well Had Lynn performed better along with Jake Odorizzi they are likely buyers vs sellers.

Archived