Brewer Fanatic

Starting pitching acquisition poll - which would you rather...?

Regarding acquiring starting pitching at the deadline, and of course it depends on who and which prospects, but in general which would you rather?

A) Give up multiple top-10 prospects for a starter under control for multiple seasons

B) Give up a couple of top-20 prospects for a rental through the end of the season

C) Stand pat with what they have and count on Davies' return

A please

C scares me because Davies is at this point this year , a wet fart, might seem like a good idea but could totally ruin your day.

im willing to risk it tbh

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Let Woodruff, Miley, and Peralta pitch. Anderson and Chacin are obviously fine. Guerra is probably okay. Just need a few solid starts from others to get to those September bullpen games. Nelson and Davies deserve an opportunity to earn their spots back next spring, and with Burnes and Peralta in the mix, I don't see the right starter at the right price on the market.

A please

C scares me because Davies is at this point this year , a wet fart, might seem like a good idea but could totally ruin your day.

im willing to risk it tbh

I’m open to it, and I’ve had a gamble like that gone right. But he has scared me this year even when ‘healthy’. They try him for a few games and it doesn’t go well, we may end up running home to change lol.

C) Stand pat with what they have and count on Davies' return

Right now we have 3 decent starters (Chacin, Anderson, Guerra) and 2 questionable starters (Miley, Peralta). Questionable being 1) will Miley continue to be decent or will his past catch up with him (if DJ has worked out kinks in other pitchers, why not Miley?); and 2) Peralta has been either pinpoint with his control or all over the place so you don't know which one you have (wouldn't be bad to have woodruff up to piggy back with Peralta - if Peralta is off, bring in Woodruff quickly to pitch 3-4 innings). We could very well need only 3 pitchers for most of the playoffs given off days, etc. so going with a playoff rotation of Chacin, Anderson & Guerra with Miley/Davies as the 4th is close or better than the 2014 Royals... Davies might take most of September to fine-tune his command, but if he is healthy we have a 4th decent starter... No reason we need a 5th starter in the playoffs and Peralta will be at his IP limit so the choices are Miley and Davies and that's easy if Zack can back to normal by Sept 30th.

I don't see a rental who is better enough over 10-11 starts compared to the current 5... What we lack is depth until Davies comes back and is effective and he may not be effective this year, which means we lack depth, period. I hate to say it, but if we could get Harvey cheap, it might be worth a midling prospect... I am out on A as it doesn't appear either Gausmann or Wheeler (especially Wheeler), will be cheap enough to justify the expense...

edit: sorry didn't know this was a rant thread... disregard what I said...

We aren’t doing C...I just can’t fathom rolling with what we have.

It’s impossible for me to pick between 1 and 2. If we go with A I would want to see the plan for this winter. It’s possible we can recoup a lot of the prospect loss when we trade someone this winter. With B it just makes sense because we don’t really need another starter for next year.

I am at the point that I want one of Archer, deGrom, Syndergaard and am willing to part with Hiura for it. The NL is so wide open right now and with a legit #1, I will take my chances given that the rotations of current playoff teams include #1s of Jon Lester, Aaron Nola, Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw. With a legit #1, I like the Brewers chances of going deep this year. Without one, I am nowhere near confident the Brewers can win even the Wild Card game.

A. I'm 41 years old and was previously a prospects hoarder/nerd. Prospects are awesome, but I want to see meaningful baseball in October in Milwaukee.

A...PLEASE!!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

How do we really know that degrom or Syndergaard are actually available? Reporters can make claims, which may be totally false, just to drum up excitement. That being said, if they are actually available, I'm all for it. They're great pitchers with control. Most of your prospects won't end up panning out into anything. Sell high on some guys and get a proven player.

Archer I'm not interested in, I'll pass.

I'd go with C.

I was all for being a buyer and would have liked to see Stearns target Asdrubal Cabrera and AJ Ellis. Never really did find a good pitching matchup. The guys who I would have liked to see them add are likely to be very overpriced, and I'm not really interested in throwing any assets into a mediocre starter.

Kind of have to go by what I see and what the numbers demonstrate.

Brewer NL rank in runs per game = 11th

Brewers NL rank in starter's ERA = 4th

Brewers NL rank in bullpen ERA = 3rd

Let's not go off on a tangent about specific players. I know that's difficult to do because it DOES matter who the pitcher is and who the prospects are; however, what I'm getting at is the concept, which is that there is no such thing as a good, controllable pitcher that could be had for minimal prospects. The Brewers either have to give up multiple top prospects for a good, controllable pitcher, or if they want to keep their top prospects they can only get a rental.

Tradeoffs are a part of trades, and I'm curious what tradeoffs people are willing to make.

Let's not go off on a tangent about specific players. I know that's difficult to do because it DOES matter who the pitcher is and who the prospects are; however, what I'm getting at is the concept, which is that there is no such thing as a good, controllable pitcher that could be had for minimal prospects. The Brewers either have to give up multiple top prospects for a good, controllable pitcher, or if they want to keep their top prospects they can only get a rental.

Tradeoffs are a part of trades, and I'm curious what tradeoffs people are willing to make.

Speaking only to the concept, and not the specifics, if Milwaukee thinks they can convince a team with a true top-of-the-rotation pitcher under control through at least next season to trade that player to the Brewers, I'd say "Go for it."

Since you can't predict the future, and we are in the middle of a season where the National League doesn't seem to have that clear run-away talented team, it makes perfect sense to try to enhance your chances to win a pennant in a year where today you almost have a good enough team to challange for one. If that means we have to pay a stiff prospect price to land that type of pitcher, then so be it. You have to give to get, after all.

A for me.

A. I'm 41 years old and was previously a prospects hoarder/nerd. Prospects are awesome, but I want to see meaningful baseball in October in Milwaukee.

A...PLEASE!!

3 years younger, but YES. i was the same way and learned over the years that you need to go for it. Prospects are lottery tickets that you can cash in to go for it all.

I'd love to say A, but the truth is that it depends on the player coming back.

Of the pitchers that we've heard mentioned:

DeGrom, Syndergaard of course...

Gibson, Gausman, Fulmer, Wheeler, Duffy maybe - depends upon what's given up.

Archer - no... no... and, in case I wasn't clear the first two times, absolutely not...

Of course, what do I know? I liked Cobb in the off-season... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Option A

if it’s an actual option, if not then B*

*unless B is for Kyle Gibson, if it is then C*

*unless C means Wade Miley gets more starts, if so then A AND B

B

With what is being reported as available (no deGrom, Syndegaard), it has to be B. We aren't losing top guys for players we don't have full confidence in, and we aren't standing pat.

I like the idea of adding Harvey. He was a TOR guy not so long ago, and he is hitting upper 90's again, pitching well.

Also, why do I get the feeling Ray is going elsewhere soon? Oddly, I really want to keep him, even though he is blocked a bit.

If no moves are made, next year they could have Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Davies, Guerra, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff, and Houser vying for starting spots. That's 9 legitimate options, not including Ortiz and Zack Brown.

Because of that, I think all three are viable options. They have the depth to move a few pieces for a starter controlled for a few years, and they have a 4/5 year window with Cain and Yelich. Next year they'll have Nelson and Davies back from injuries and a stretched out Burnes and Houser, lessening the need for a starter beyond this season. And with all of the off days in August they could ride a 4-man rotation + spot starts through the end of the year.

Going back to the eleven options they'll have next year, they could move three of those for a top SP and they will still have nine viable options next year. But pitching is more expensive at the deadline. I think the best value overall is a rental; keep the top prospects, trade one or two of Anderson/Davies/Guerra in the offseason to reload on prospects or shore up C/2B, and go with the young cost-controlled pitching to have financial flexibility to upgrade wherever they see fit.

Archived