Brewer Fanatic

Roberto Osuna

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/blue-jays-trying-trade-roberto-osuna-rumors.html

Obvious red flags abound, but this may be an opportunity to grab another shut-down reliever who is both cost controlled and controllable for several more seasons at a discounted price. It would be a major outside-the-box move, but adding Osuna to an already great bullpen would be an interesting move.

Interesting development from Toronto as they are now actively looking to trade away Osuna whose suspension is set to end on August 5th. Obviously Osuna isn't coming without controversy, and certainly no one supports his actions -- that said, from a baseball standpoint, that controversy could limit his market and artificially deflate his value when he's been a lights out closer, and only 23. Additionally, the suspension has pushed back his free agency -- he is controlled through 2021.

I have no idea how much this depresses his market, if Toronto doesn't plan on moving him unless the deal is right, or if they are highly motivated to sell and simply want to distance themselves from Osuna.

Still, the organization has not had a problem in the past bringing in guys like K-Rod, and I wonder if this is something that DS is keeping an eye on. Obviously, it would give us an embarrassment of riches in the pen, not only this year but moving forward with all of Hader, Jeffress, Knebel, and Osuna under club control for multiple seasons, and Soria along for the ride this year and maybe next as well.

I have no idea how much this depresses his market, if Toronto doesn't plan on moving him unless the deal is right, or if they are highly motivated to sell and simply want to distance themselves from Osuna.

Still, the organization has not had a problem in the past bringing in guys like K-Rod, and I wonder if this is something that DS is keeping an eye on. Obviously, it would give us an embarrassment of riches in the pen, not only this year but moving forward with all of Hader, Jeffress, Knebel, and Osuna under club control for multiple seasons, and Soria along for the ride this year and maybe next as well.

As a fan, I would prefer to just avoid that can of worms. I just don't think the bad press is worth the reward of upgrading over Taylor Williams.

This doesn't affect Williams. He's still a part of this pen. Just another weapon.

Archived