Brewer Fanatic

Name The Pitcher

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad Duffy's contract wasn't more like Archer's at 8-9 mil instead of 15. With his years of control he'd be one that I'm intrigued by. Get him out of the AL with his stuff and with our pitching coach and it wouldn't surprise me if he took off here. Money is a bit more than is ideal but hey if they're going for it it might be worth for the next few years, it's not like they have to pay anyone else anytime soon. Cheaper than any legit FA SP you're going to be able to get, that's for sure.

Guys better than Gray make it all the way through August waivers every year. It really is a lot different element from regular irrevocable waivers.

Not saying I'd guarantee he'd make it, just that it wouldn't at all surprise me.

It all depends on years/$ left on their contract.

Gray is on a one-year, $6.5M arbitration contract. He'll have only a little less than $3M left on his contract, and a team can cut bait with him after the season.

The thing to remember is that Yankee Stadium is a hitter's paradise, especially for lefties. Gray's home OPS-A this year is .930; his road OPS-A is only .647.

Given those two things and given his past success, I say highly unlikely that he makes it through August waivers. Same with Matt Harvey - he only has ~$2M left on his contract - highly unlikely he makes it through waivers.

Danny Duffy, on the other hand, has three additional years and $46M left on his contract. Much better chance he makes it through waivers, but $15M/year is not much for a free agent SP who averaged >3 bWAR each of the last two seasons and is only 29.

James Shields is owed ~9M the rest of the year. While SD is paying the White Sox a significant part of that, the Sox are under no obligation to send that to any team who claims Shields. Very good chance he makes it through waivers.

Jordan Zimmerman (2 more years, $50M left after this year) is absolutely clearing waivers.

I could see Danny Duffy and/or Mike Minor potentially being acquired.

Maybe... it still seems like a long shot for either of those two though. I think Duffy has the better chance to clear. I'd be all over Minor in a bullpen role. He thrived in that role last year; 8-9 million isn't much for a good bullpen arm these days.

They both also have left-handedness going for them which in many cases creates a bit extra demand.

Archived